At the end of the Second World War, Harlow had a population of only 5,000. However, the post-war Labour Government took the decision in 1946 to create a New Town there, which now numbers nearly 80,000 residents.
The New Town was specifically designed as a group of neighbourhood communities and the council has sought to emphasise this in its devolution of power to local communities. The Community Associations are also very strong.
Harlow also prides itself on having pioneered innovative social and community facilities: the first all-purpose health centre in 1955; one of the first holiday play schemes in the early 1960s; and one of the earliest after-school care schemes in 1979.
Local employment has traditionally been in light industry, although in recent years the emphasis has switched more towards retailing and distribution. London's Liverpool Street station is just 40 minutes away by train and many workers commute to jobs in the City.
It is also a growing centre for scientific research and development - major international companies such as SmithKline Beecham, Northern Telecom, and Merck, Sharp and Dohme are centralising their research activities here.