When the Masonic Peace Memorial opened in 1933, it contained a shrine to masons killed in the war. Among those honoured are the 61 dead of Oxford's Apollo University Lodge - the branch which suffered the greatest losses during the conflict.
"When World War II started, calling it the Peace Memorial seemed odd. The name was dropped and it's been called Freemasons' Hall ever since." - Diane Clements, director of The Library and Museum of Freemasonry