Where I Live
A-Z Index
News Front Page | Programmes | Hooligans
Search by date:
Search by club:

19 August 2001
Birmingham City v Millwall

West Midlands Police mounted a huge operation after intelligence suggested Millwall hooligans were travelling in large numbers to take on the Birmingham City "Zulus". Under massive escort the Millwall group was escorted from New Street Station to the ground.

On the way back Birmingham City fans attempted to attack Millwall at the station. There were running battles with riot police, who also had to deal with the arrival of the Wolves hooligan group returning from their away match with Coventry.

25 October 2001
West Bromwich Albion v Wolverhampton Wanderers

There was serious disorder outside the ground during the match. After the match a group of Albion fans broke through the police line and there were running battles between supporters from both clubs. There were later reports of fighting at Midland Metro Parkway Station.

31 October 2001
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Millwall

A large group of up to 250 Millwall hooligans burst through the police lines at Wolverhampton station. They attacked the Feathers Pub, near Molineux, where members of the Wolves "Subway Army" were drinking. Two Wolves hooligans were slashed in the face with Stanley knives. The groups were split up before the rest of the Wolves hooligans could arrive on the scene.

5 April 2002
Millwall v Wolverhampton Wanderers

The Wolves hooligan group (the "Subway Army") arrived in Paddington and were spotted by two police officers. Their coach was escorted to the Den.

A huge policing operation (more than 300 officers) prevented the hooligan groups from clashing. Police were pelted with bricks, bottles and fireworks by Millwall fans attempting to get to the Wolves supporters.

21 April 2002
Sheffield Wednesday v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Sheffield United hooligans (the "Blades Business Crew") attempted to ambush Wolves supporters at the railway station before the game. They had decided not to follow their own team. There were 14 arrests. Trouble continued closer to the ground between Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday supporters.

During the game around 500 Wolves fans in the home seating area of the ground were moved into an empty corner of the stadium. After the match the trouble continued with three rival groups of supporters roaming the city centre looking for trouble. Two police officers and a steward were injured during clashes during the day.

^^ Back to Top
News Sources | Privacy