Where I Live
A-Z Index
News Front Page | Programmes | Hooligans
Search by date:
Search by club:
22 September 2001
Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester City

On the same day Sheffield United were away at Millwall. As their hooligans returned to the station they met the departing Manchester City fans. There were running battles at the station and in the city centre.

At around 10pm there was serious disorder at the station where police officers were attacked. Four officers were injured and one was nearly killed. The train departed with the Manchester City hooligans on board but there was continuing trouble throughout the journey.

22 September 2001
Gillingham v Rotherham United

After the match a group of Gillingham supporters attacked fans outside the ground before being escorted to the town centre. They then went to the train station where they attacked a group of Rotherham supporters. There was also trouble on the train between Rotherham and Sheffield United fans.

6 October 2001
England v Greece

A massive policing operation prevented major trouble even though some of Englandís worst hooligan groups were on display. However, Manchester United hooligans fought with Manchester City at the Thirsty Scholar pub near Oxford Road Station. They also clashed with the Stoke City firm in the Hogshead in Deansgate.

Sheffield United hooligans attacked the Finnegan's Wake pub in Piccadilly, where the Oldham firm the "Fine Young Casuals" were drinking with their friends from Shrewsbury.

17 November 2001
Sheffield United v Birmingham City

A police officer was injured trying to separate fighting fans at Sheffield Midland Rail Station after the match. Fighting broke out on a platform when West Bromwich Albion fans returning from Rotherham clashed with Birmingham supporters.

23 February 2002
Sheffield Wednesday v Rotherham United

During the match riot police joined stewards to hold back a mob trying to climb from the main stand into the Leppings Lane end. After the game about 50 Sheffield United fans, whose team was playing in London, made their way to the Brown Bear pub in the City Centre, where they confronted a similar sized mob of Wednesday hooligans.

They fought outside the pub until the police arrived to split them up. There were further clashes later in the evening.

16 March 2002
Sheffield United v West Bromwich Albion

Trouble broke out in the ground after the match was abandoned when Sheffield United were left with just six players on the pitch. There was also fighting outside the ground in a match marred by fighting on the pitch as well.

13 April 2002
Stockport County v Sheffield Wednesday

Around 300 supporters had to be kept apart at Sheffield Midland Rail Station when Wednesday fans travelling from Stockport were confronted by those from Sheffield United.

21 April 2002
Sheffield Wednesday v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Sheffield United hooligans (the "Blades Business Crew") attempted to ambush Wolves supporters at the railway station before the game. They had decided not to follow their own team. There were 14 arrests. Trouble continued closer to the ground between Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday supporters.

During the game around 500 Wolves fans in the home seating area of the ground were moved into an empty corner of the stadium. After the match the trouble continued with three rival groups of supporters roaming the city centre looking for trouble. Two police officers and a steward were injured during clashes during the day.

^^ Back to Top
News Sources | Privacy