Page last updated at 16:51 GMT, Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Easibus Service in Bangor

DUP MLA Alex Easton tabled the adjournment debate on 2 February 2010 on the withdrawal of the Easibus Service for the elderly and disabled in Bangor, County Down.

Transport company Translink recently announced a reduction to the town's four Easibus services to come into effect from 2 February.

A petition on the issue was collected at Bangor town market in January.

Some members said there may be a threat to services beyond North Down.

Mr Easton called on Minister for Regional Development Conor Murphy to reinstate the service.

As a result of withdrawing the service, he said he feared many people would become house-bound or be forced to hire taxis. He also questioned why there had been no public consultation over the move.

The minister said the reason the service was being withdrawn was because of duplication of services and that it was deemed an unwise use of Translink's limited resources.

The Easibus service had been introduced in very different circumstances and there had now been an extension of public transport in the Bangor area, with seven services, including a door-to-door service which catered for people who found it difficult or impossible to use conventional transport.

SEE ALSO

Story Tools

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific