The home of the Northern Ireland Assembly is set within the Stormont Estate in east Belfast.
Originally a landed estate, the grounds were bought in 1921 following the establishment of Northern Ireland as a separate part of the UK.
Parliament Buildings was constructed to accommodate the newly formed government and officially opened by the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII, on 16 November 1932 on behalf of King George V.
It was designed to house the bicameral parliament with a senate room, now used to host committees, and a "Commons-style" parliament chamber, in which the twice-weekly plenary sessions take place.
The original baronial estate house remains as Stormont Castle which was the headquarters of the Secretary of State and now hosts the Northern Ireland Executive.