Page last updated at 13:46 GMT, Thursday, 14 August 2008 14:46 UK
Clerk of the Parliaments

The counterpart to the clerk of the House of Commons in the House of Lords is called the clerk of the Parliaments.

He or she keeps the records of proceedings, signs orders and pronounces the words of the Royal Assent when bills finally pass into law.

He or she is assisted by the clerk assistant and the reading clerk.

More from BBC Democracy Live
Compare who does what across the UK and Europe
Our A-Z of words used in the business of politics
Discover what BBC Democracy Live has to offer you


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific