Page last updated at 12:46 GMT, Wednesday, 20 August 2008 13:46 UK
Another place

During a debate, members of the House of Commons traditionally refer to the House of Lords as "another place" or "the other place".

Peers return the gesture when they speak of the Commons in the same way.

This form of address is starting to fall out of use in both houses.

More from BBC Democracy Live
Compare who does what across the UK and Europe
Our A-Z of words used in the business of politics
Discover what BBC Democracy Live has to offer you


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific