MEPs held a series of one-minute speeches on topical subjects during the plenary session on 10 December 2012.
Issues raised included:
• cheap tomato imports from Morocco
• the use of referenda in Latvia
• refugees from the Turkish invasion of Cyprus
• unemployment in Portugal
• the British grooming scandal
• democracy in Hungary
• the status of Catalan in the Spanish education system
• debt restructuring in Greece
• financial reforms in Slovenia
• Turkey production in Ireland
• strikes by dock workers in Portuguese ports
• recent parliamentary elections in Romania
• future of the Erasmus programme
• the corporate social responsibility of certain large French companies
• Doha conference on climate change
• workplace accidents in Turkey
One-minute speeches give MEPs the chance to discuss topical issues without having to give prior notice of the subject they intend to raise.
to how the plenary sessions work.
on the use of simultaneous interpretations, on the European Parliament's website.