Read this information and work out what each new word means:
'deca' means 'ten' (from Greek)
'decade' means 'ten years'
'decathlon' means 'athletic contest with ten events'
1. So is a 'decapod':
- a marine creature with five pairs of legs?
- a Greek vegetable?
- a type of spaceship?
'auto' means 'self' (from Greek)
'automatic' means 'working by itself'
'automobile' means 'a vehicle moving by itself'
2. So is an 'autobiography':
- a letter from abroad?
- a grid or chart?
- the story of a person's own life?
'aqua' means 'water' (from Latin)
'aquarium' means 'a tank for water plants or animals'
'aqueduct' means 'a man-made channel for water'
3. So is an 'aqualung':
- a serious medical condition?
- a dance popular in Hawaii?
- a container of air for divers underwater?
1. Find out the meanings of these prefixes.
2. Find a word that they are used in.
- deci -
- oct -
- ante -
- post -
- contra -
3. Think up two false definitions to test the class with.