Explain that adverbs give more information about verbs. They tell the reader more about how, where and when things happen. For example:
- The snow fell slowly (how it fell)
- The snow fell here (where it fell)
- The snow fell yesterday (when it fell)
Does each adverb below tell the reader about how, where or when?
- It is going to rain tomorrow.
- The boy ran quickly to the shops.
- Have you looked everywhere?
- The lion roared angrily.
- Her trainers squeaked loudly on the floor.
- He scribbled down his answer frantically.
- I'm off to the shops later.
With the class, identify all the verbs used in the news story.
Children add adverbs to the story to make it more interesting by annotating the original.
Recap on the main teaching points. Hear the class' differing versions of the news story.
For all links and resources click at top right.