Ask the class which of the comments they most agree with and:
- Could films ever bring about the end of books?
- What would the world be like without books?
- Do you prefer to watch a film before you read a book?
- How can films encourage people to read books?
- If you could turn a book into a film, which would it be and why?
Make a class list of films that have been based on books:
Using the class' list as a starting point hold a debate or discussion over the motion:
- Shrek - by William Steig
- 101 Dalmations - by Dodie Smith
- Babe - based on The Sheep Pig by Dick King-Smith
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - by Ian Fleming
- The Jungle Book - by Rudyard Kipling
- James and the Giant Peach and Matilda - both by Roald Dahl
- Jumanji - based on the picture book by Chris Van Allsburg
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - by JK Rowling
- The Lord of the Rings - by JRR Tolkien
- The Wizard of Oz - by L Frank Baum
- Oliver! - based on Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
"Books offer things that films can't."
Find notes for the main speeches by clicking the links below.