The proposer reads out the motion:
"Exploring space is a waste of money."
The proposer could use the points below when making their speech.
Spaces have been left for them to add points of their own:
- But why don't we put the billions towards this planet so we can stay on it. Instead of having to move off Earth when it has been destroyed by our lack of concern, we should focus first on saving this world, and second on exploring others.
- It depresses me, in this day and age we still do not know how to cure cancer etc and waste time and money on space missions. We know so little about our own planet but we seem happy to continue destroying it.
- The amount of money the USA is considering spending on space is obscene, but anyone who thinks that they will spend this amount on health research /poverty or anything else to help people on this planet is living in cloud cuckoo land. What did we get from sending a man to the moon? Lots of iffy pictures and non-stick frying pans!
- Mars is uninhabitable and the costs and risks of reaching there are impossibly high. Nevertheless we daft humans will continue to fantasise, and vainly attempt to use space travel to find 'signs of life' on other planets.
- We are continually being told that there is not enough funding for the NHS, and that cash for education is cut every year - and then we watch the news and see that millions is being spent on a mission to Mars (which failed).