The student acting as proposer then reads out the motion:
"This house believes that politics should be kept out of the cricket World Cup."
Notes for the main speeches can by clicking the links on the right.
Recap on the main teaching points and the chair announces the outcome of the vote.
Why don't the cricketers just refuse to play?
- England are supposed to play in Zimbabwe on 13 February during the cricket World Cup.
Most of the games in the World Cup are being played in South Africa, but six are being played in Zimbabwe and two in Kenya.
- Lots of people think they shouldn't play that game because there are big problems in Zimbabwe and it would be wrong to play cricket there.
The main reasons are:
- Financial - England's cricket bosses would have to pay compensation if the game was called off. The Zimbabwe team might also refuse to play their games in England later this year, costing loads of money in ticket refunds.
- Cricketing - If England didn't play they will be unable to get any points from the match, a match they would expect to win. That would make it much harder to qualify for the next round.
- Cricket bosses also don't see why they should be stopped from playing while lots of English businesses are still allowed to trade in Zimbabwe.
For all links and resources click at top right.