The proposer reads out the motion:
"This house believes that politics should be kept out of sport."
The proposer could use the points below when making their speech.
Spaces have been left for them to add points of their own:
- Many countries, particularly the United States, proposed boycotting the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin because of the German Nazi government.
- The Games have been used for political gain or for a country to 'get its own back' for being banned from competing in the past.
- The Games have been cancelled three times because of World Wars.
- The American flag found among the debris of the World Trade Center should not have been brought into the stadium at Salt Lake 2002. This took the focus from the Olympics and placed it on the agenda of the US.
- George W Bush went against tradition by adding patriotic words to the traditional opening greeting. He should not have brought the war against terror into the Games.
- The proposer should research other cases of politics influencing the Olympics from the teachers' background.