BBC Home
Explore the BBC

CBBC

Sport

Last Updated: Wednesday August 04 2010 06:54 GMT

Striker Fernando Torres says he isn't leaving Liverpool

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres playing for the club in March 2010

It looks like Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is staying at the club, despite being linked with moves to Chelsea and Manchester City.

Rumours that Torres was leaving started after the Reds failed to qualify for this season's Champions League.

But since then, Liverpool have got a new manager and Torres has helped his home country Spain win the World Cup.

Returning to training this week, the 26-year-old said he was committed to the club and "really happy to stay".

Torres is still recovering from an injury he got during the World Cup final against the Netherlands, but said he was delighted to be back.

And after a difficult last season, which saw Liverpool finish seventh in the Premier League, the star striker said he was looking forward to working with new manager Roy Hodgson.

"This is the best club in the country so the targets and expectations are always high," he said.

"It was difficult last season but we are sure we can improve this season."