BBC Home
Explore the BBC



Last Updated: Wednesday July 28 2010 17:03 GMT

Weever fish giving swimmers nasty sting on UK beaches

Beach goers are being warned to watch out for Britain's most poisonous fish.

The Weever Fish might only be 15cm long but spines on its fin are leaving swimmers and paddlers with a nasty sting.

They like shallow water and are so well hidden that many people do not see them until they've been stepped on.

The advice to beach goers is if you're worried about going into the water, then get some beach shoes to protect your feet from being stung.

The poison can leave people with a red and swollen foot - and more and more people are getting jabbed as Hayley's been finding out.