BBC Home
Explore the BBC

CBBC

Animals

Last Updated: Saturday June 27 2009 09:55 GMT

Sniffer dog swallows explosives

Toby being given oxygen

Dogs love eating stuff they shouldn't, but one greedy pooch went a bit far when he ate some explosives!

Toby is a sniffer dog based in Afghanistan with the Army, and ate a chunk of something experts think might have been explosives while on patrol.

He quickly became poorly, but was taken to base in a medical emergency helicopter, and given oxygen by vets.

He was treated with charcoal, which soaked up the poison, and he's thought to be doing well.

Army vet Captain Matt Clark said: "He's a lot perkier now thankfully.

"He's had something to eat, he's had something to drink for himself so things are certainly looking up."