BBC Home
Explore the BBC

CBBC

Animals

Last Updated: Friday April 10 2009 11:26 GMT

Dog poisoned by Easter egg raid

Buster with PDSA vet Vicky Sims and an Easter egg like one of the ones Buster ate

A sweet-toothed dog that wolfed down 12 creme eggs in one sitting has sparked new warnings for owners to keep their Easter treats out of pets' reach.

Labrador Buster ended up in intensive care with chocolate poisoning after sniffing out the eggs at home in Derby.

That's because chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which can be REALLY dangerous for canines.

Luckily, Buster made a full recovery but vets say it shows the importance of not sharing your chocolate with pets.

See what got Buster licking his lips...

Giving dogs even a small piece of chocolate can cause them sickness, a sore tummy, drooling and fits. It's even been known to kill.

And dark chocolate is even worse, as it contains higher amounts of theobromine.

But that doesn't mean you can't treat your pet pooch... special doggy chocs, which don't contain theobromine, are available from pet shops.

As for Buster, it seems he still hasn't learned his lesson.

Owner Brenda Dawes said: "He's already tried to eat a bag of crisps and a toilet roll since he's been home.

"I'll have to keep a close eye on him from now to keep him out of trouble."