BBC Home
Explore the BBC

CBBC

TV/Film

Last Updated: Friday August 15 2008 06:59 GMT

Eight month delay for Potter film

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Bad news for Harry Potter fans - the release of the sixth film has been delayed by eight months!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was due for release in November this year, but now studio bosses say it won't hit cinemas until 17 July 2009.

Warner Bros said the Hollywood writers' strike earlier this year meant some of the films that had been planned for the summer wouldn't be ready on time.

Now they're holding onto the Half-Blood Prince to be their summer blockbuster.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Fans had been getting more excited about the sixth film after a trailer, giving the first glimpse of Hero Fiennes-Tiffin as the young Tom Riddle, was released two weeks ago.

Despite the delay, Warner Bros insists the seventh and final Potter films will stick to their original release dates.

Studio boss Jeff Robinov said: "The studio's release plans for the two-part Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will not be affected by this change.

"We know Harry Potter fans are eagerly anticipating seeing the final chapters unfold onscreen.

"In fact, the good news for them is that the gap will now be shortened between Half-Blood Prince and the first part of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

But what do YOU think about the delay?


Eleanor, nine
Eleanor, aged nine, said: "It's good to be able to look forward to something, but I think most people are disappointed."


Toby, 12
Toby, 12 said: "I think they should try and make sure that it will come out when it's supposed to come out."


Lara
Eleven-year-old Lara said: "If they're going to be so upset about it they could always just read the book."