BBC Home
Explore the BBC

CBBC

UK

Last Updated: Wednesday March 19 2008 18:56 GMT

Girl's death caused by gas pipe

The house where the explosion took place

A fractured gas pipe caused an explosion at a house in the south west of England, which killed a nine-year-old girl.

Stephanie Hammacott was walking to school in Plymouth with her mum when the blast happened on 8 January.

Police and health and safety officials say gas seeped out of a fractured pipe, and was set off by a flame or spark.

Investigations are still continuing to find out why the pipe was fractured in the first place.

Stephanie was taken to hospital after the explosion, but sadly died shortly afterwards.

Her family said she was a bright, happy girl who was "caring, helpful, thoughtful and considerate".

Stephanie Hammacott
Stephanie's teachers said she was 'popular and caring'
They said: "Family and friends have fantastic memories of our Steph."

Nine copper beech tree saplings have been planted for her by her teachers and friends at her school, Southway Primary.



BBC Homepage >> | CBBC Homepage >>

Meet the Team | Help | Contact Us | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy