BBC Home
Explore the BBC

CBBC

Animals

Last Updated: Friday February 16 2007 13:14 GMT

Hamster survives cooker fire

A hamster

A hamster cheated death after it was left on top of a cooker that was switched on by mistake.

Christmas the hamster was placed on the hob in his cage because he was keeping his owner, Dylan, four, awake at night.

But emergency services were called after Dylan's mum found Christmas's cage on fire in the kitchen.

Amazingly, firemen managed to wake the little rodent with a puff of oxygen and three drops of blackcurrant flavoured drink and it is now recovering well.

Fireman said that when they first saw Christmas lying on his back unconscious with his legs in the air they thought he was dead.

Relieved

Officer Mark Spinks told Metro newspaper: "We all looked at each other and said, 'That hamster is a goner'."

But luckily the sweet drink - and rubbing his tummy - brought him back to life.

Afterwards Dylan's mum Stacy, from Essex, said: "I am pleased Christmas is OK. The firemen were brilliant."



BBC Homepage >> | CBBC Homepage >>

Meet the Team | Help | Contact Us | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy