BBC Home
Explore the BBC

CBBC

UK

Last Updated: Tuesday May 24 2005 15:36 GMT

London Eye 'not coming down yet'

London Eye
The London Eye will not be coming down in the next month, according to the owners of the site.

It had been reported that they told the owners of the top tourist attraction to remove the 450ft structure by 1 July if they didn't pay an increased rent.

The site owners - the South Bank Centre - have now denied this and other reports that they wanted to put up the rent from 65,000 a year to 2.5m.

It's been suggested that they actually want to up the rent to around 1m.

An SBC spokesman said: "We are negotiating with the Eye company and we very much hope to reach an agreement soon."

The big wheel on the south bank of the Thames has given loads of visitors a view of London's skyline since it opened in 2000.



BBC Homepage >> | CBBC Homepage >>

Meet the Team | Help | Contact Us | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy