BBC Home
Explore the BBC

CBBC

Animals

Last Updated: Saturday April 30 2005 12:46 GMT

Error sees deadly spider released

A Brazilian Wandering Spider. Picture courtesy of BBC NHU/Richard Matthews
A deadly spider that bit a chef has been accidentally let go by a hospital that was looking after him.

Matthew Stevens was bitten twice on the hand by a Brazilian Wandering spider when he was cleaning behind a freezer.

Matthew, 23, used his mobile to take a picture of the spider so it could be identified and was later taken to a hospital, who released it.

It's not thought that the spider is any threat to the public as experts think it will have died already.

The hospital has promised to investigate exactly what happened, but it's thought that someone let it go thinking it was a normal UK spider.

Matthew said it took him almost a week to recover from after being bitten by the spider, which is known for its speed and aggression.

The spider may have found its way to the UK after sneaking into a delivery of bananas from the Caribbean.



BBC Homepage >> | CBBC Homepage >>

Meet the Team | Help | Contact Us | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy