BBC Home
Explore the BBC

CBBC

Sport

Last Updated: Wednesday March 30 2005 16:05 GMT

Man drops Rooney 'assault' claim

Wayne Rooney
A man who claimed he was in a fight with Wayne Rooney in a nightclub has withdrawn the charges, police said.

Patrick Hanrahan, from Eaglescliffe, in Stockton-on-Tees, had claimed that the Manchester United striker hit him three times after he teased the player.

Rooney denied it from the start and his spokesman said they were not surprised the claims had been dropped.

Hanrahan, 22, had apparently taunted Rooney about his move from Everton to Manchester United in August 2004.

Police said the claims have been withdrawn and no further action was being taken.

Rooney, 19, was at the Manchester club with fellow United team-mates Rio Ferdinand, Wes Brown and Roy Carroll.



BBC Homepage >> | CBBC Homepage >>

Meet the Team | Help | Contact Us | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy