BBC Home
Explore the BBC


Guides: Solvent Abuse

Last Updated: Wednesday June 22 2005 08:08 GMT

What are the risks?

Solvent abuse is very, very dangerous - we're not just saying that to put you off. Every year it kills about 60 young people. That's more than drugs like heroin.

Abusers often get really drowsy and pass out, then they throw up and die by choking on their own vomit. Many other kids have been killed or hurt in accidents because they couldn't see, hear or think properly after taking solvents.

Solvents also stop your heart working properly. This can kill you instantly. People who abuse solvents for a long time damage their heart, brain, liver and kidneys.

Guide to Solvent Abuse

BBC Homepage >> | CBBC Homepage >>

Meet the Team | Help | Contact Us | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy