Anyone from a member state is a citizen of the EU and gets these special rights.
- Freedom to move between countries of the EU and to live in any nation in the Union.
- The right to vote and stand in local government and European Parliament elections in the country you live in.
- If you are travelling outside the EU, and your own country does not have an embassy, you can go to the embassy of any other EU country.
- The right to put your side of the story to the European Ombudsman if you think the EU has not acted fairly.
- The right to petition the European Parliament and appeal to the European Court of Justice.