There are some very surprising facts and figures about domestic violence.
Here are just some of them.
About domestic violence in general:
About children and domestic violence:
- It's estimated police get a call from a victim of domestic violence every minute
- Domestic violence make up nearly a quarter of all violent crime
- Less than 35% of domestic violence is actually reported to the police
- Some say that figure is more like 11% though
- Less than half of victims tell a mate or another family member
- Children under 16 live in half of the households where there is domestic violence
- Between a third and two thirds of children in homes where their mum's abused are also at risk
- In 2000, a survey of 1,300 school children found one in three boys thought violence against women was OK.