There are a number of reasons people choose to give up eating meat:
- Animals: because they believe it's wrong to breed and slaughter animals for food
- Ecology: they are worried about the effect of meat farming and fishing on the environment
- Health: research suggests there are healthy benefits (experts recommend eating five portions of fruit and veg a day)
- Religion: some religions - like Buddhism - encourage a vegetarian diet
- Food: some people just don't like the taste of meat
- Trends: their fave pop star or actor is veggie so they do the same
Recent health scares - such as salmonella and the human form of mad cow disease (CJD) - have also changed people's eating habits.