Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Your views on forced marriages
Updated 11 November 2004, 17.11
ring on fingers
Last year the UK government rescued around 200 young people from forced marriage but many people are too scared to ask for help.

What do you think can be done to stop forced marriages taking place?

Do you know anyone who's been forced to marry someone they don't want to?

E-mail and let us know.

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI guess I should say how terrible it is, but... I cannot say that people forced into the marriage are THAT innocent. If they are forced, there is a reason. And if they know it is wrong (even if they are afraid) they should do something non-violent about it. closing quote
Gabriele, 15, Chicago

opening quoteThe people next door had a forced marriage. They seem happy now though. So maybe it isn't always such a bad thing.closing quote
Jay, 12, Scunthorpe

opening quoteI think it's terrible that people are forced to get married. What happened to the word love? How can you love someone you're forced to get married to? I hope it gets banned.closing quote
Paul, 14, Beragh Co.Tyrone

opening quoteI don't think it is fair that girls should have to get married. They should be able to decide for themselves.closing quote
Katie, 15, Wolverhampton

opening quoteIt's just silly really. If you don't want to get married then I don't think you should be forced to. Even if it is part of their religion, people should remember that this is the 21st century. Everyone has rights. There should be a right to getting married to who you want to, not who your parents want you to!closing quote
Fraser, 11, Torrance

opening quoteI think you should be able to make your own decision on whether you want to get married or not because it is not up to parents to do it. Also people are too young to get married in their teens and younger.closing quote
Ryan, 12, Wigan

opening quoteBeing forced into a marriage is wrong. How would the parents who force their kids to get married feel if they didn't intend to get married and was just told to. Parents who do this should feel guilty about what they're doing!!closing quote
Niandi, 11, London

opening quotePeople shouldn't be forced to marry someone they don't know. Even if it is their religion. Tony Blair should try and help people who do get forced to marry someone.closing quote
Eleanor, 13, Birmingham

opening quoteI think that forced marriage is a horrible thing and should be banned.closing quote
Natasha, 12, Blackpool

opening quoteForced marriages are absolutely pathetic! Marriage is a serious thing and you should marry the right person! Forced marriages are nearly always with people they don't love!!closing quote
Danny, 14, Rotherham

opening quoteI think you should be able to make your own decision on whether you want to get married or not because it is not up to parents to do it. Also people are too young to get married in their teens and younger.closing quote
Ryan, 12, Wigan

opening quoteHow could parents do that to their children? I think it's cruel and the children should at least have a choice.closing quote
Cat, 12, Crewe

opening quoteI think that forced marriages should not be allowed at all, it's unfair to the person being forced and can possibly make them depressed and unhappy.closing quote
Georgina, 15, Leicester

opening quoteI think forced marriages are terrible. Being forced to get married must be a horrible experience. Especially when you're 9-16 years old.closing quote
Olivia, 9, London

opening quoteI think that forced marriage is horrible to the children or older girls because they are being forced to marry someone that they don't know and don't love.closing quote
Laura, 12, Louth

opening quoteIt's wrong that people shouldn't be able to have the choice about who they marry - I feel sorry for people that don't have a choice.closing quote
Rachel, 13, Banbury

opening quoteI think it is wrong, but it is a tradition, and it is going to be hard to stop.closing quote
Ella, 9, Barnsley

opening quoteIt's not fair. If you are going to live with someone for the rest of your life you should be able to choose who that person is.closing quote
Mark, 12, Ballynahinch N.I

opening quoteThat is really horrid! What if you don't like the person you are marrying? What if they hit you or are violent? I would hate for that to happen to me!closing quote
Lou, 11, Milton Keynes

opening quoteIt is completely, unacceptably, horribly cruel! They don't even know who it is! It could be someone who will ruin your life! No, I think it is stupid! Actually, it's more than 'I don't think' it's more like 'I know!'closing quote
Rose, 10, Liverpool

opening quoteI feel sorry for people who are forced into it. I don't see why they don't just try to brake up with their partner.closing quote
Jamie, 13, Surrey

opening quoteI think forced marriage is wrong. You can't just force someone to marry someone else. It should be their decision, not their parents. You should be in a loving relationship with someone before you get married, because if not then someone could get hurt.closing quote
Rebecca, 13, Alness

opening quoteI think it's really unfair, even if it is your religion. Not only must it be annoying for the girl, but the boy too!closing quote
Brynni , 11, Luxembourg

opening quoteForced marriages should be banned because marriage should be about people loving and cherishing each other not about strangers being told to produce a family and look after each other.closing quote
Jade, 15, East Sussex

opening quoteI think forced marriage is WRONG!!! I dream about my wedding and it would be HORRIBLE if it was with someone I had to marry and don't love! It is the most important day of your life!closing quote
Katie, 13, USA

opening quoteOh my god, this is just wrong. People should be allowed to marry who they want, when they want. I can't believe such a horrible thing is happening.closing quote
Marsha, 14, USA

opening quoteI think it's horrible getting married at a very young age.closing quote
Wahida , 11, London

opening quoteEvery person has the right to choose who they want to marry. You can't help who you fall in love with and you can't decide to love someone because you have been forced to marry them. I think its disgraceful!!! closing quote
Harriet, 13, Suffolk

opening quoteHaving your parents decide who you have to spend the rest of your life with is wrong. It's a personal choice, no one else's!closing quote
James, 10, Gateshead

opening quoteIt's so appalling to know that parents can do that to their children. I think the government should really investigate into forced marriages and work hard to put a stop to it.closing quote
Faye, 14, Canada

opening quoteI really don't like forced marriages. It is wrong because you need to wait to find the perfect person for you. You are the only person that can decide that.closing quote
Katie, 13, USA

opening quoteI think it is horrible to force someone to marry someone they don't know! It is wrong and immoral and is also very very unfair!closing quote
Billie, 12, Newcastle

opening quoteI think it's horrible that some parents organise marriages for their children when they're only babies. It's also horrible that some children in other parts of the world get married at the age of nine. Getting married is a big thing in life and you should be able to decide who you want marry, if you want to get married at all.closing quote
Rachel, 11, Edinburgh

opening quoteWRONG WRONG WRONG. I think the government should put a stop to this. I know I won't be forced into it but I can imagine a girls feelings if they are, and I feel so sorry for them.closing quote
Ellie, 11, Worcester

opening quoteI think that it's not fair, people can make their own decisions, it's there own life and I'm sure they don't want anyone interfering in it. Forcing marriages should stop or families might just get split up.closing quote
Nikki, 11, Seaford

opening quoteYou shouldn't have to get married to someone you don't want to. Marriage is about being happy together, not having every day a nightmare. Government NEEDS to do something.closing quote
Becky, 10, Oswestry

opening quoteThe sad thing about the whole thing, is parents believe they're protecting their children....its a very old tradition which needs to die. closing quote
leighann, 14, Solihull

opening quoteI think it's a shame for those involved. I'm sure for some it works out fine but in many cases it must be awful. I mean, you only live once, it's such a waste.closing quote
Sophie, 13, Edinburgh

opening quoteForced marriages in a way can be cruel as the girl might end up marrying someone they dislike! There should be a stop to this now!closing quote
Linzi, 14, Monifieth

opening quoteThat's really wrong. I mean if you're in that situation, you really need to go and ask for help, no one needs to be forced to marry someone that they don't love. closing quote
Kait, 14, Texas

opening quoteI think you should choose who you want to marry, but I also think your parents should be involved. They're the ones who took care of you and you can't just take them out of your life because you think you've found a suitable husband/wife.closing quote
Sara, 13, London

opening quoteI think it's really wrong, I mean most parents do this for honour but I think they just end up losing it cause their children's marriages turn out really bad if they're forced and they just end up ruining their lives. I can understand arranged marriages because with them if you say no then there's no more to it, so it's like your own choice in a way.closing quote
Ayesha, 13, London

opening quoteMarriage is for love, not convenience. Girls should be allowed to choose their own husbands. What do parents know about who their children love?closing quote
Louise, 14, Surrey

opening quoteI think forced marriages are WRONG. They prevent girls AND boys from living the life they want to live, with someone they love and know well. I think something should be done about it.closing quote
Chloe, 11, Leeds

opening quoteI think that forced marriages are terrible. Neither of the children want it to happen. Like Rupali, some children are so scared they have to run away, and it ruins their life. Forced marriages are something that isn't generally thought of as happening in the UK, but it does. Something needs to be done for these children.closing quote
Rosa, 12, Norwich

opening quoteI think forced marriages are absolutely pointless. What happened to parents wanting the best for you? Shouldn't you be able to choose your own husband or wife?closing quote
Gilly, 12, Harrow

opening quoteI think forced marriages are disgraceful and they should be stopped. You can't marry someone you haven't met before. Marriage is really important so it should be thought about carefully with the person getting marriedclosing quote
Fahima, 12, Rochdale

opening quoteDon't we have our own personality, minds, thoughts, love options!? Why should someone take care of all those things and control your only hope for a chance of happiness?closing quote
Hannah, 12, Hailsham

opening quoteWho is everyone kidding, this is a disgrace, you can't force someone to get married. It's out of order, they should marry who they want, who they love.closing quote
Emma, 15, London

opening quoteWhich parent actually wants their child to suffer? Who cares about traditions? They should think about their child first.closing quote
Junaid, 12, Manchester

opening quoteI think this is a disgrace because some people don't even know who they are getting married toclosing quote
Rebecca, 12, Newham

opening quoteIt's a horrible thing for a girl to have to face, and unfair if she doesn't want to get married. For some, it's part of their culture but that doesn't make it right or fair.closing quote
Natalie, 15, UK

opening quoteI know someone who's sister is having an arranged marriage. This is not like forced marriage because they get to choose the person they want to get married to. Many girls in my school have no problems with arrange marriage, simply because they know it's their religion.closing quote
Annabell, 15, Reading

opening quoteI think it's wrong to have forced marriages! People should run there own lives and decide on who they want to marry by them selves!closing quote
Hannah, 11, Fulham

opening quoteThe simple answer would be to abolish marriage. I don't agree with marriage it all, I think it is an outdated tradition, which brands women as the property of their husbands. It is not necessary in modern society. Many people will argue that it's meaningful, but I think the divorce rate speaks for itself on that one.closing quote
Astrid, 14, London

opening quoteI don't think it's fair. It's just sad to know that there's no real love in a marriage. We only live once, we shouldn't have to be squashed by authority closing quote
Danielle, 14, Atherstone

opening quoteI think it is a disgrace when I hear about those kind of marriages, I'm ashamed. I think that they should have a choice of who they want to marry not the parents.closing quote
Sajidah, 13, London

opening quoteIt is not right, it is out of order - if the person doesn't love them then they shouldn't have to marry them.closing quote
Marcus, 13, Harlow

opening quoteIt's just sick and stupid!closing quote
Safiya, 12, Dewsbury

opening quoteI think it is horrible to force someone to marry someone they don't know! It is wrong and immoral and is also v. v. v. unfair!closing quote
Billie, 12, Newcastle

opening quoteWRONG WRONG WRONG. I think the government should put a stop to this, it's evil. I know I won't be forced into it but I can imagine girls feelings if they are. I feel so sorry for them.closing quote
Ellie, 11, Worcester

opening quoteYour wedding day is one of the most important events in your life and therefore I think you should be able to enjoy it the way you want. I think forced marriage is wrong, you should be able to get married to someone of your own choice.closing quote
Nafisa, 13, London

opening quoteForced marriages should be stopped. Marriage is supposed to be a time in your life to look forward to and the joining of your life with someone you love with all your heart! Forced marriage should be stopped as it prevents this from happening in people's lives.closing quote
Emily, 14, Dudley

opening quoteI have heard lots of stories about forced marriages and I feel deeply sorry for the girls put through it. My parents had an arranged marriage so they were able to meet a year beforehand which helped them to get to know each other better. I think that forced marriages should be illegal because everyone has freewill and the power to do what they want.closing quote
Vaidehi, 13, Walsall

opening quoteI just read the Press Pack and was devastated about how some families lie and make people guilty about getting married.closing quote
Nowrin, 10, Nottingham

opening quoteI think Tony Blair should do more to protect children in the UK.closing quote
Georgie, 12, Swindon

opening quoteI think it is a very bad thing to do. I mean, how would the parents feel. More centres should be set up in the UK, like that one in Africa.closing quote
Hannah, 11, Bristol

opening quoteI think that parents should let their children marry who they want to. It's not fair that they have to get married at such a young age to some one that is much older.closing quote
Gillian, 13, Reading

opening quoteI think it is horrible the way women and also men (it's not just women!) are forced into marriages. I think there needs to be some kind of law to stop this happening but I think it's a touchy subject because some forced marriages can work out.closing quote
Maisy, 14, Southampton

opening quoteI think its really sad for the girl AND boy. People always forget that the boy is also having a forced marriage and doesn't like it, in the same way as the girl doesn't like it!closing quote
Ayaan, 14, Birmingham

opening quoteI think it's really unfair, kids should be able to make their own decisions.closing quote
Melie, 10, Salisbury

opening quotePrime Minister Tony Blair needs to do more to protect girls from forced marriages. I feel really sorry for those affected, it must be really scary.closing quote
Dan, 11, Newcastle

More InfoBORDER=0
UKAdvice on forced marriages
Find OutFind out about forced marriage
ClubMy family forced me to get married

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club