Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Smacking - right or wrong?
Updated 08 July 2004, 17.49
Smacking ban
The House of Lords voted on Monday and decided that parents should be allowed to smack their children.

But they did bring in rules that would punish them if they left red marks or bruises after smacking them.

They didn't want to ban it completely because too many parents would be punished for less serious smacking.

So, do you think that smacking is ok if it's not too hard?

Perhaps you think it depends on the situation...

Or do you think there should be a complete ban as a smack's still a smack, no matter how hard?

E-mail us with your view.

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI think all smacking hurts, so why should only smacks that leave marks be banned - if parents slap their children they set a bad example anyway.closing quote
Florence, 10, Richmond

opening quoteI think you should only smack a child if you have warned that is what is going to happen if they continue to be bad and only if they are doing something really wrong like hitting.closing quote
Rosie, 14, Didcot

opening quoteI'm in two minds - smacking should be banned but then parents have no way of disciplining children and they would run riot.closing quote
Chloe, 12, Liversedge

opening quoteI think that parents should be banned from smacking young children, and older kids if it causes physical damage.closing quote
Sarah, 13, Newcastle

opening quoteI think that smacking is not right and unfair. Children are always told not to use violence so why should they.closing quote
Richard, 12, Westwikcham

opening quoteIf you raise somebody with violence they become violent, the anti-social behaviour act is the fault of the parents of the past few generations. If the lords don't act soon this country is in for a bumpy ride.closing quote
Mark, 13, Hull

opening quoteI believe it is ok to tap children, when they are young, but not hard, to show them right from wrong if they are too young to understand, but when you are older, you don't need to be smacked.closing quote
Jennifer, 13, Huddersfield

opening quoteThere's nothing wrong with smacking a child who deserves it! As long as there is no permanent damage.closing quote
David, 12, Cardiff

opening quoteI find it odd that children aren't being asked what THEY think. So I'm pleased to see Newsround taking our opinions that are ignored everywhere else. I think smacking should be allowed. Children need to learn what is right and wrong, and a short, sharp smack on your bottom doesn't have any physcological affects in later life. It's never done me any harm!closing quote
Sarah, 14, Grimsby

opening quoteEven thinking of banning smacking is ridiculous, every parent in the country would go to jail. In this day and age there are more serious issues to be dealt with than family home life.closing quote
Andy, 14, London

opening quoteParents shouldn't have to smack their children to as a punishment. In most cases misbehaviour can be punished in a way that doesn't involve physically hurting or touching them. Also if parents smack or use violence, it's only going to be showing and teaching the children violence, which they could then use against other children.closing quote
Suki, 14, Sevenoaks

opening quoteSmacking is wrong, it would be treated as an assault if an adult did it to another adult so why should they have the right to do it to us?closing quote
Mark, 13, Hull

opening quoteI think parents should be allowed to smack their children as hard as they feel - you should know when you have done something wrong.closing quote
Jamie, 13, Swadlingcote

opening quoteIf parents hurt their children in any way they shouldn't be allowed to have children.closing quote
Laura, 11, London

opening quoteSmacking is terrible! It's so unfair, why should children be smacked for doing wrong things and adults not? It should be banned, should be made illegal, but I think you should not be sent to prison for smacking because that would make children's lives even more miserable.closing quote
Jess, 12, Warwick

opening quoteI don't think children should be smacked even if they do have problems, because their parents might be smacking them too hard.closing quote
Beckie, 9, Harrogate

opening quoteChildren need to be told, I even think they should bring back the cane.closing quote
Laura, 13, Willenhall

opening quoteI think smacking is acceptable with older children, but only as a last resort.closing quote
Victoria, 15, Leire

opening quoteThere is nowt wrong with a little smack onn the backside!!closing quote
Daniel, 12, Bolton

opening quoteI think that smacking to a certain extent is OK, like, smacking hard enough to teach the child a lesson, but not hard enough to bring them out in a bruise. I don't necessarily agree with smacking, but if the child carries on doing wrong, then I think a light slap would just show the child who's in charge and things.closing quote
Kate, 13, Aylesbury

opening quoteSmacking is alright as long as it's not too hard. I was smacked when I was younger with a wooden spoon and I'm fine. parents should do what they want with their kidsclosing quote
Jenny, 15, Bristol

opening quoteI was smacked as a child, and I've turned out fine. When I did something majorly wrong, I would get a smack round the bum and I never did it again. closing quote
Sarah, 15, Basingstoke

opening quoteI don't think it's right to smack children, but it should be up to the parents to decide how they discipline their child.closing quote
Juliette, 13, Cardiff

opening quoteI think that the government should come up with a suitable punishment because in a way smacking is an abuse and parent should not have to abuse their children as a punishment.closing quote
Hugo, 10, Chelsea

opening quoteI think smacking should be allowed as long as its not to hard and not often. If a child is being really naughty, then they should get a smack to make them behave but if a parent smacks there child for the sakes of, then that shouldn't be allowed.closing quote
Laura, 13, Gosport

opening quoteSmacking is a cruel thing it should not be allowed unless it really needs to be done.closing quote
Sam, 12, Coleford

opening quoteI think smacking should be legal because most parents only smack once and when you really are being out of order - but I think there should be a loop hole to stop the abuse towards children such as teachers reporting and demanding to see the child.closing quote
Jacqui, 13, Yaxley

opening quoteIt's sick, it's as wrong as hitting an adult...closing quote
Louise, 14, London

opening quoteI think that smacking should not be banned. Yes, it's wrong to hit and abuse children but if you smack them not so hard if they have badly misbehaved they will understand that it was wrong. When I was younger I was smacked and I learned that what I did was clearly wrong. If adults do smack their children it should not bruise or break the skin so I go with the Government.closing quote
Rosalie, 14, Edinburgh

opening quoteWell I think getting a smack from your parents is ok if it's not too hard and if it is for a good cause!closing quote
Nelofar, 9, London

opening quoteI don't think smacking should be banned because sometimes it's the only way a child understands not to do something naughty again. However, I do think there should be a law on the force with which you hit your child. There is sometimes a thin line between smacking and child abuse.closing quote
Lisa, 15, Caerphilly

opening quoteI think a smack is OK if the child is behaving badly for attention.closing quote
Eleanor, 12, Co. Antrim

opening quoteI think it's very bad. Although a smack can be quite soft, it makes an emotional mark and it would make a young child very upset.closing quote
Sarah, 11, Shropshire

opening quoteI think that smacking is ok as long as there is a really good reason for it. I've been doing schools in history, that even though it sometimes used to get outta hand, using the cane in classrooms used to be very effective as the kids were scared of getting hit. I think that the same goes for smacking: if a kid just won't stop doing whatever they are doing, then the only way is to smack them.closing quote
Alice, 13, London

opening quoteIn the world we live in I don't know anymore. There is smacking where parents hit their children for doing something bad, and then there's child abuse. Not much of a difference if you ask me.closing quote
Shelley

opening quoteI believe that children have to be well disciplined by their parents. This may include REASONABLE chastisement. However, the sad fact is that there are always a minority of parents that would misinterpret the meaning of REASONABLE. I think that reasonable chastisement should remain legal but parents beating their children because they think that it is acceptable are just sick!closing quote
Stephen, 14, Manchester

opening quoteSmacking is OK if its for a good reason but it's the parents choice if they smack their child/children or not!closing quote
Leona, 11, Macduff

opening quoteI think smacking should be banned, it isn't nice and children may fear their parents. People don't smack adults for being bad, so why do it to children?closing quote
Katy, 13, Nottinghamshire

opening quoteWell, it's like saying mums and dads aren't allowed to raise children their own way. Parents should be free to smack if they think it's right (I personally think it's wrong) but it's their choice, and no-one should tell them how to control their children. But there shouldn't be an excuse for violent child abuse. But smacking isn't violent.closing quote
Hannan, 13, Newcastle

opening quoteSurely hitting a child is teaching them that it is the only way to control people which is not right. I'd take much more notice if someone took the time to point out what I'd done wrong rather than being hit.closing quote
Toni, 15, Kent

opening quoteI think it depends on the situation, if a child is really out of control I think that the parents should get permission to smack hard. I don't see why we have to ban it as long as it's done lightly.closing quote
Barbara, 12, Helensburgh

opening quoteGetting a smack is ok if it's not too hard. Being shouted at for hours is far worse I reckon.closing quote
Toby, 14, Carlisle

More InfoBORDER=0
UKSmacking row sparks fears over safety
ChatShould parents be able to smack children?
VoteYour vote on smacking

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
School wants right to smack
Smacking won't be allowed in schools
Lords to vote on smacking limits
Smacking still OK, parents told

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club