Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Are you worried about knives?
Updated 19 October 2004, 17.02
Knives
A special BBC programme on TV on Sunday highlighted the problem of knife crime among teenagers.

It found that some children as young as 12 were carrying them.

We want to know if you are worried about knives where you live, or at your school.

Does it make you afraid to go out?

Or do you think it's only a small problem and there isn't really anything to get worked up about?

Maybe you know someone who carries a knife?

Whatever your views, e-mail and let us know.

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI make sure I am with a big group at night. I think that knives are mainly carried by boys to make them look hard but girls do carry them too.closing quote
Danielle, 13, South Wales

opening quoteI've seen loads of kids with knives, both in school and out. It does make me a bit nervous about going for little walks around the fields by my house, but I don't let it rule me. There's a chance of lots of things happening, I could trip and crack my head open, but that doesn't stop we walking down the pavement.closing quote
Juliette, 13, Cardiff

opening quoteKnives are scary and dangerous. I think checks should be carried out at school and leaflets and professional talkers should come into school and give everyone more information so they realise how dangerous knifes really areclosing quote
Claire, 11, Ireland

opening quoteStabbing isn't really a problem where I live, although reports about stabbings anywhere in the country unnerve you slightly. But it's not one of those things where I lie in bed worrying about it, but the thought of being stabbed is quite creepy...closing quote
Kate, 14, Aylesbury

opening quoteIt is quite worrying to know that children as young as me are carrying dangerous weapons that can really harm somebody.closing quote
Lou, 11, Milton Keynes

opening quoteI am worried, because those small metal things that can be used in such harmless things, like cutting bread, could take away lives of innocent people. Children who are looking for trouble might carry them round, but I think most of the time its only for showing off, not actually using them.closing quote
Hannan, 13, Newcastle

opening quoteI'm not scared of them at my school, but I can't go anywhere alone at night because it's too dangerous!closing quote
Laine, 15, New York

opening quoteNot really, even though somebody was carrying a knife at my school - and he was only a year seven! I just don't think about those kinda things so they don't bother me.closing quote
Kate, 12, Sunbury

opening quoteI do worry about the knife problem but we can't let it effect our lives. I hope some one comes up with the plan to stop it. closing quote
Kirsty, 13, Hull

opening quoteCarrying knives in school is dangerous. The school should do a daily check of your bags and pockets.closing quote
William, 10, Henshaw

opening quoteI would say I am very worried about knife crime. My boyfriend was stabbed in a racist attack and was left with a awful scar on his side. Also a boy who went to my school who lived near my area was stabbed I think more needs to be done about this situation, people don't realise how big a problem it is.closing quote
Sasha, 15, Leicester

opening quoteI do get nervous when I hear that someone has been injured in a knife attack and I think that people who carry knives are really stupid.closing quote
Georgie, 10, Bordeaux

opening quoteIt isn't really a problem where I live so I don't have to think about it. closing quote
Karen, 13, Sutton

opening quoteI am not at all worried about young people carrying knives. It doesn't make me not want to go out and it isn't something I am getting worked up about. I know a couple of people who carry a knife and I know for a fact that they would only use it in self defence.closing quote
Hannah, 14, London

opening quoteI am getting worried about knives...my friend was threatened by another boy with one. I really hope someone does something to stop people going around with them.closing quote
Rachel, 14, Cardiff

opening quoteI would never carry a knife to school, although once my mate was threatened by someone after school with a knife. My area is slightly dodgy, so you have to watch your step, but we have a curfew from after 9pm, so that does help.closing quote
Naomi, 11, Ewell

opening quoteThis does worry me quite a lot, I know lots of people that carry knives and I'm sure many more do that I'm not aware off. People are attacked for no reason and I'd hate to be next. At school people are always taking the knives that we use in science, I don't even feel safe at school.closing quote
Kayte, 15, Witney

opening quoteYes I am worried because some one in my school brought a knife and threatened some one with it.closing quote
Rachel, 11, Bradford

opening quoteI do worry about knives but I try not to let it affect my life. All I want to do is to have fun and not to be worrying about people attacking other people with knives. Anyone who does carry a knife thinks they are cool but they're not they're just being stupid.closing quote
Louise, 14, Aberdeen

opening quoteNot really. If that many teenagers carry knives, then I must have been around at least a few armed young people before. If nothing happened to me then, why should anything happen now just because I know about it?closing quote
Liz, 14, Swanley

opening quoteIt does make me worried when I hear about teenagers in knife attacks. I try not to go out on my own now after dark to be safe.closing quote
Kerry, 13, Leicester

More InfoBORDER=0
UKKnives and the law
ChatDo you feel safe at school?

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Tougher laws for carrying knives
Luke killer given life in prison
Calls for schools weapons checks
Crackdown on bullies and weapons

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club