Sci/Tech
 Weather
 Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Should you be allowed to go on school trips?
Updated 30 September 2004, 10.57
Canoeing on school trips
School inspectors think pupils should be allowed to go on school trips - but teachers are still worried about accidents happening.

But who's side are YOU on?

Are you ok with taking a bit of a risk if it means you get more out of your education?

Have you, or a fellow pupil, had an accident on a school trip which has put you off them...

Or do you think they are a good thing as long as there are strict safety regulations in place?

Whether you're for or against, e-mail us let us know.

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteIf you hide away from life, what will you achieve? Take a risk, take the plunge! Who knows, you might even enjoy yourself! I really enjoy school trips, you might even learn something!!!closing quote
Zoe, 12, Nottingham

opening quoteI think we should have school trips as they increase learning through interest levels. It's stupid not letting us go on school trips for safety reasons as accidents can happen inside school as well as outside!closing quote
Ashlie, 14, Atherton

opening quoteNo I think that schools should not go on school trips because teachers have a HUGE responsibility. I'm in year 6 and we have circus people come to our school instead of school trips.closing quote
Olivia, 10, Coventry

opening quoteIf parents are going to sue teachers if the slightest thing goes wrong on a trip, they can stop their own child from participating. But I don't see why we should all have to suffer just because of what a minority think!closing quote
Zoe, 14, Plymouth

opening quoteOf course we should go on school trips. If we can't go on school trips we have nothing to look forward to at school. In year 10 there is a ski trip to America and my bro went on it and I don't want to miss out at all as it sounds really fun! Nobody should take the fun out of learning!closing quote
Sarah, 13, Chichester

opening quoteI don't think there is enough supervision on school trips. we were left to go walking by ourselves and we got lost for hours!closing quote
Florence, 11, Rugby

opening quoteI really like school trips but I haven't had the chance to go on one since primary school. I should have been going to France this year but the trip's been cancelled.closing quote
Zoe, 12, Skipton

opening quoteKids should go on school trips, defo. I mean, it gives us experiences that we would never have if we were in school. Besides, isn't there danger in footy and sports like that? closing quote
Kirsty, 12, Manchester

opening quoteI think we should be allowed on school trips because we are still learning. Just in another environment!closing quote
Rachel-Louise, 14, Hull

opening quoteI don't go on trips any more because our school went on this trip and we had to hold onto this string. And if you fell you fell about 9ft to a flowing river! I asked if I could miss it but they forced me to get on and I fell. Luckily, I can swim but I ripped the skin on my arm!closing quote
Zoe, 13, Dundee

opening quoteI love school trips, In the last two years I have been to France, Austria and Germany with my school and I'm going to Belgium soon. Accidents are a possibility, but I think that parents need to accept that it is not always the school's responsibility, I went skiing and a few people did get hurt, but there was nothing the school could have done to prevent it, and parents were aware of the risks when they signed up.closing quote
Amy, 13, London

opening quoteOne of my best trips was a class trip to Bude in Cornwall. We did loads of active things like canoeing, abseiling, surfing etc. Only one person injured them self and it wasn't very serious. The teachers enjoyed it too. It was a reward for SATs. We should have more trips like that where u have to be active. The government want us to be healthier don't they? closing quote
Aisha, 13, Leeds

opening quoteI think that all children should go on school trips because they need to learn about the real world around them. Teachers should not be frightened. They should tell the children what is happing and all risks involved.closing quote
Lynda, 17, Harrogate

opening quoteI think that kids should be allowed to go on school trips as it is easier to learn and you take more in if you are doing things for yourself. In a classroom you get bored and don't concentrate if you are just copying out of books. closing quote
Phoebe, 13, Langport

opening quoteI think we should be able to go on school trips. They are great for team bonding and people make new friends and benefit greatly from them. I wish our school would take us on more trips.closing quote
Natalie, 12, Blackpool

opening quoteWhen I was in high school, all we ever did was go on day trips. We complained we wanted to go on longer trips abroad but all that was said was 'It takes away from exam time so it is not possible.' I agree that kids deserve weekends away to learn more social skills.closing quote
Rosie, 17, Northolt

opening quoteI think that it's not reasonable that we should miss out on school trips just because teachers are afraid of the consequences. closing quote
Lincoln, 12, London

opening quoteI think we should go on school trips because kids need fun!!!! closing quote
Rebecca, 13, Dundee

opening quoteOf Course we need school trips because you learn better having a first-hand experience. In my school we have field trips all the time and most of the kids do great and it really makes learning that much more interesting. closing quote
Irene, 13, Canada

opening quoteI fell once on a school trip and sprained my wrist, but I learnt a lot about myself and how to look after myself whilst there. I would definitley go again.closing quote
Hannah, 14, Wirral

opening quoteThis is getting stupid! Potentially anything could be dangerous, I mean the trip to school has hazards, so does that mean I can't go to school? People need to loosen up and live a little!closing quote
Sophie, 13, Edinburgh

opening quoteI have just returned from an adventure holiday and whilst there I fell off a quad bike and broke my ankle.closing quote
Sarah, 11, Birmingham

opening quoteI think that we should go on class trips, because we learn a lot more by interacting with our world instead of sitting and staring at a book!closing quote
Keeley, 12, London

opening quoteWhat's the point in teaching us about what stuff looks like in the real world if we can't go and see it for ourselves! of course there should be trips, it's good for us to get out of the classroom and do a bit of feildwork now and again.closing quote
Laura, 14, Wigan

opening quoteThis is isane! School trips are are the best part of being in school! It's a time where you can bond and spend quality time with your friends. A good fully qualified teacher should be able to look after a large group of children anywhere.closing quote
Terry, 13, Malibu

opening quoteWe're allowed to go on school trips. In a few weeks we're going to a volcano.closing quote
Chelsea, 12, Oregan USA

opening quoteOf Course! You learn better having first-hand experiences. In my school we have field trips all the time and most of the kids do great and it really makes learning much more interesting.closing quote
Irene, 13, Canada

opening quoteI live in the US and we go on trips all the time. In grade four we went to a theatre and saw a real play - it was awesome!closing quote
Brittney, 11, California USA

opening quoteThis is stupid. The last school trip I went on was in 2002 - 2 years ago. As long as there are enough teachers, why can't we have trips?closing quote
Adam, 13, London

opening quoteI think we should go on more trips becuse most of them are for work anyway and its not fair to be stuck at school all day every dayclosing quote
Ellie, 10, Manchester

opening quoteOh yeah, I think they should keep going. They're a little boring (due to restrictions on health and safety) but I think school trips should still happen. I mean, I'm going ice climbing in a few days, and if I can do that, then I really can't see the problem about school trips that will teach climbing survival and canoeing etc...closing quote
Andy, 13, Glasgow

opening quoteI think we should have school trips becaue it gives our brain a time out and have fun with all our mates.closing quote
Emily, 14, Manchester

opening quoteSchool trips are one of the plus sides to school. They're fun but educational at the same time. There is only so much that can be taught in a classroom - we need school trips to help with our learning and to make school more enjoyable.closing quote
Lisa, 14, Manchester

opening quoteI think we should be allowed to go on trips like the museum, the farm or the space centre. I think we should not go on trips like theme parks because it is dangerous and people could get hurt. It isn't fair for people who are afraid of heights - me!!!closing quote
Divya, 15, Leicester

opening quoteI think we should be allowed to go on school trips. We are learning and having a break from school at the same time.closing quote
Gina, 14, Surrey

opening quoteSince my older sisters started at school (back in 1989) until now, school trips have been a lot less fun in the risk factor! Insurance claims are the fault of this... but I say if we get hurt, we get hurt - if parents did it so why can't we? It's part of growing up...closing quote
Joseph, 14, Adelaide

opening quoteI think it's more interesting to go and see the real world instead of sitting there taking a test or whatever!!!closing quote
Olivia, 10, Brighton

opening quoteI think we should be allowed at least one day of fun because it's unfair already that we have to stay in the classroom for 6 hours every week but school trips can be fun for both the teachers and the children but you can also go to places like New Lanark where I went and learn stuff as well as having fun!closing quote
Kirsty, 11, Morpeth

opening quoteI love going on school trips! But I saw some of my friends that are in year 8 and they are going abroad! I was happy until I saw the price! As long as school trips are fairly cheap then they are great life experiences for us!closing quote
Lou, 11, Milton Keynes

opening quoteOf course we should still go on school trips, it gives us experiences we may not otherwise have the opportunity to encounter. It is very rare for someone to get hurt, and more often than not everyone returns safely having had a great time.closing quote
Lisa, 15, Caerphilly

opening quoteYeah I'd much rather we got out of the classroom to experience the real world. We shouldn't be wrapped in cotton wool!closing quote
Steve, 13, Darlington

More InfoBORDER=0
UKTips for staying safe
ChatChat about school
ChatDo you get outdoors enough?
ClubMore youth clubs needed

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
School trips could face sun ban
Schools worry about trip dangers
Teacher jailed after boy dies on school trip
Kids 'losing touch with nature'

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club