Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Would you be happy to carry an ID card?
Updated 28 April 2004, 18.35
What the new ID card might look like
The government is planning to introduce identity cards for people living in the UK.

They'll hold your name, address and date of birth along with extra info like your fingerprints and a picture of your eyes.

At the moment the idea is just being tested but people may be forced to carry them one day.

What do you think about carrying a card with all your personal info on?

Do you think it will help stop crime like fraud?

Or do you think you should be allowed to keep these details about yourself private?

Tell us what you think now.

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI think it's unfair. People should be given a choice as to whether they want or don't want to carry an ID card, not have it be enforced on people.closing quote
Lawrence, 14, Guildford

opening quoteIt's not that bad, I mean, it's not hard to slide the card into your wallet or something... I have to carry one from my school all the time, in order to get in - so it's no big deal.... just a matter of taking out your purse/wallet!!closing quote
Arna, 14, NL

opening quoteNo way! That is the worst idea ever! It's an abuse of our rights, having to carry a piece of plastic everywhere. What would happen if we lost it? What would happen if we left it at home? Why should we be forced to be attached to some stupid government idea!? If they do come in, I am certainly not carrying one!!closing quote
Charlie, 13, Guildford

opening quoteUnless this system is given a lot of thought, it wouldn't be good because if you get mugged and your card gets stolen, all your personal ID is on there. I know it's got 'my' eye print and 'my' fingerprint on, but even so, it needs a lot of thinking through and careful planning.closing quote
Daniel, 12, Bedfordshire

opening quoteI think they are a GREAT idea. Why not have them. They can stop fraud, terrorism etc. If you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't be bothered if you have one or not. WHEN CAN I GET MINE?closing quote
Richard, 15, Prescot

opening quoteNO WAY! Are these people dumb? What if it got lost? We just recently got ID cards in school and it's such a pain and everyone hates them! You can't get into the library or computer labs or anything without your card and the teachers always check them. But some people lose them and get in trouble and I feel bad for them.closing quote
Kayla, 13, USA

opening quoteI think it is a good idea because it stops young children/teens buying cigarettes, and it will be a lot harder for young children to actually commit a crime. It could make them realise, I mean I don't want my personal things shown around but it is for safety.closing quote
Lois, 14, Manchester

opening quoteI disagree, you can easily lose it and it seems like a bother having it around with you all the time, and people could easily fake it. It's just a waste of our time and money.closing quote
Tara, 15, London

opening quoteI like the idea of ID cards, but I don't think we should be forced to pay for it, as it's the government wants us to have one.closing quote
James, 12, London

opening quoteI think the ID cards are a good idea because they could help stop things like fraud or crime. Also they will stop you from buying drink or cigarettes if you are underage or going to 15 or 18 films or a nightclub if you are underage. But I think that if the government want us to carry these cards, they should pay for them!!closing quote
Nicola, 13, Scotland

opening quoteI think ID cards are a bad idea because people will always find a way to fake them. We don't know what technology can do these days.closing quote
Katie, 14, Preston

opening quoteI think that it's a good idea, and many other countries already have ID cards, also it can prove our ages to get into movies!closing quote
Meryl, 13, Belfast

opening quoteIf this keeps up, soon we will have microchips planted in the back of our heads.closing quote
Richard, 14, Buckingham

opening quoteI think getting an ID card is good. It stops terrorists so what's so bad about it. Who really cares if it says personal details. The card's for a good purpose so it's fine!closing quote
Khaled, 10, London

opening quoteI think that people should have the new ID cards and I don't know why MP's didn't think of it sooner. Even though I am 16 I still get questioned when buying things like lottery and cigarettes and there are no forms of ID for people our age.closing quote
Daniel, 16, Winchcombe

opening quoteI think the cards are a good idea personally but I can see both sides of the argument. The cards are good and help prevent criminal activity it also limits amounts of privacy and you have to pay!closing quote
Samantha, 15, Newcastle

opening quoteIt's a complete invasion of privacy... I don't want to be walking around with my eye scan in my pocket, it's completely crazy.closing quote
Ami, 15, Bristol

opening quoteI think it's an excellent idea because more security means a lot more safety for you. The eye scan is an added bonus to stop fraud! BRILLIANT!closing quote
Paul, 14, Bolton

opening quoteNo way would I pay for one of those things. People will still find ways of faking it.closing quote
Natalie, 15, Lincoln

opening quoteTwo things wrong about ID cards. One, what's the point? and two, we have to pay for them. Then the criminals will find a different way to fraud people. It's a stupid idea if you ask me.closing quote
Harrison, 12, Weymouth

opening quoteWHHHAAAAAAAAAAT? I don't think even the most trusting people would give me an ID card. I'd lose it within five minutes. Or draw funny pictures on it. Has anybody seen my keys by the way?closing quote
SB, 12, Cambridgeshire

opening quoteI think ID cards are a good idea, because they carry information about you, but not too much that you feel unsafe carrying it.closing quote
Celeste , 11, Birmingham

opening quoteI think they are a good idea as they will prevent terrorism, but the fact that you have to pay puts me off.closing quote
Thomas, 13, Farnborough

opening quoteI have nothing to hide, and they will prevent terrorism and crimes. But should we really have to pay for them! Maybe replacements.closing quote
Gemma, 13, Killinghall

opening quoteI think the government are just using terrorism as an excuse to make us give them our personal details.closing quote
Emily, 14, Warwick

opening quoteI don't think these cards are a good idea because it limits your amount of privacy and to top it we have to pay for it. RIDICULOUS!closing quote
Zishan, 14, Walsall

opening quoteI am about to get a something called a CitizenCard. It has a picture of me, with my name, date of birth and an identity code. I think that this is better because it does not have things like your home address or my eye/fingerprints on it. If it had an address on it, and I lost it, people would be able to track me. Instead it has an address that it needs to be returned to if it is lost. I think that this is better, because the new ones are against human rights and they show too much about you.closing quote
Alice, 13, London

opening quoteI think it's a good idea if you look young for your age and want to get into a film. It's not good if you're trying to pay child's fare on the bus (but are really too old) or are trying to get into a 15 or 18 film. It annoys me that at the moment when you're buying a DVD or something people are like "do you have ID" but why would I? I'm too young to drive and I'm hardly going to carry my birth certificate and passport around.closing quote
Kim, 14, Southampton

opening quoteI think it does carry to much information but it could help stop fraud. It is unfair though to make you pay for something you've got to have.closing quote
Abi, 10, Buckinghamshire

opening quoteI'd like fraud to stop happening so in some respects it's an alright idea but being forced to show your personal info and being forced to carry one around is not my idea of fun!closing quote
Lorna, 11, Bolton

opening quoteI think the ID cards could be a good thing but why should we be made to pay for them?closing quote
Andrew, 12, Glasgow

opening quoteI think that id cards are a very good idea. Some people think that they are an invasion of privacy but in the long run they will save time and money. While the government are taking everybody's id they could take dna at the same time to help prevent illegal actions.closing quote
Ellie, 14, Liverpool

opening quoteThey shouldn't bring them in as they may not always work and we shouldn't have to pay for them cause if they want us to have them they should pay for them!closing quote
Rachel & Claire, 16 & 13, Pontefract

opening quoteI'm really not comfortable with the ID card idea. It's just a way the government can control us. I don't like the idea that one day I will have to carry a card around with all of my details on as well as my fingerprints. I think this is taking things too far and is taking away peoples privacy.closing quote
Lisa, 16, Caerphilly

opening quoteI am not sure. It would be exciting to do so, but only name, photo and age. Eye scans? Come on!! That's taking it too far!closing quote
Gayathri, 12, Stoke-on-Trent

opening quoteI think the cards are a good idea. It will stop people committing crimes and would mean people could get treated fairly. It could also help and prevent crimes. But I don't think we should have to pay to get one, because it is our government who want us to carry one.closing quote
Sarah, 14, Glasgow

opening quoteI think its good to carry out an id card because it will help stop terrorism and it can tell you that you belong to this country.closing quote
Naveen, 12, Hayes

opening quoteI think it is a really good idea because it will literally impossible to commit fraud if they have the smallest details such as your eyes and finger tips. Though it will put pressure on a lot of people.closing quote
Nikki, 13, Lancs

opening quoteI think it's completely ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed!!! I don't think it would help fight fraud or terrorism and I think it's crossing the line of our human rights!!closing quote
Willow, 16

opening quoteI think it's a great idea, it has worked in other countries so why not in Britain? As long as it's done properly and is impossible to fake it'll stop all sorts of problems such as immigration, young smokers and alcohol drinkers. I wouldn't mind having one at all!closing quote
Charlotte, 15, Dawlish

opening quoteI think they're a good idea, and it's quite exciting to have them too. However, I can see peoples point of view when they say that they could be hacked into and peoples' details could be accessed. closing quote
Bobby, 14, Isle of Man

opening quoteI've got nothing to hide, so I wouldn't mind carrying one. It might get annoying though because some people lose things like that easily, and it could become a pain! closing quote
Helen, 15, Birmingham

opening quoteI'm not sure I like the idea. But I suppose it would be good if it stops fraud. closing quote
Josie, 11, Saltash

More InfoBORDER=0
UKQ&A: Biometric ID cards
Find OutWhat is Terrorism?
VoteWill ID cards for kids work?

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Thousands will trial UK ID cards
New ID scheme to stop underage spending
ID card plans revealed

BORDER=0

Web Links
BORDER=0
Home Office
Note: You will leave CBBC. We are not responsible for other websites.

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club