Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Is too much spent on space?
Updated 13 September 2004, 19.02
Genesis capsule
The Genesis space mission which cost around 150m ended in failure when the capsule containing precious dust particles from the sun crashed to earth.

Exploring space is a risky business - and not to mention pricey.

So do you think the costs involved could be better spent on improving our own planet, rather than trying to find out about others?

Or do you think that space exploration is important and should continue whatever the cost?

Whatever you think, let us know.

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI think that way too much money is spent on space missions what about first helping homeless and helpless people in this country and then think about space!!closing quote
Rosie, 15, Didcot

opening quoteI think Scientists should be 100% sure everything will work before sending some hopeless piece of metal into space. The money can be used on lots of other things apart from space!closing quote
Kazzy, 14, York

opening quoteNo, people learn from their mistakes. I know it's pricey but mistakes now might reduce future ones. I think it's important that we learn about space and if there's life out there. There's a whole universe waiting for its exploral.closing quote
Kat, 14, Cardiff

opening quoteOk, it's nice to know when we are going to be invaded by little green men- but come on?! Save our planet and stop the killing of innocent lives due to malnutrition first!closing quote
Coco, 12, Telford

opening quoteIt's cool to know about space and all but I think they should stop spending more money on finding out HOW we were made and more on keeping us alive.closing quote
Natalie, 15, Wales

opening quoteYeah, way too much money spent on space! Money should be used for the NHS, schools, caring for the elderly and homes for homeless people.closing quote
Tanya, 14, Brighton

opening quoteYes and No. Yes, because the money could be spent on things such as youth clubs or hospitals. No, because the scientists are only trying to find out something. You never know what is out there!closing quote
Lou, 11, Milton Keynes

opening quoteI think that it's money worth spending, even if things do go wrong it doesn't mean the money's wasted - we learn through our failures. I thinks it important to explore space, to give us further insight into the origins of our universe.closing quote
Victoria, 15, Leire

opening quoteIt's really silly to just spend millions of pounds on space exploration. The money should be spent on building more hospitals and schools in poor countries, and looking after our environment.closing quote
Amy, 12, Morden

opening quoteThousands of children die each year in Africa from thirst, hunger and disease. We can't afford to help them, yet we can afford to spend millions on space projects that fail more often than not?closing quote
Holly, 13, Edinburgh

opening quoteI think that as much money as possible should be spent - after all, nobody knows if there's anything out there!closing quote
Adam, 13, Middlesex

opening quoteI've never thought about it. It's not really an issue you have strong feelings about. I suppose they are wasting their money a bit, but it would be nice to see what's out there.closing quote
David, 12, Cardiff

opening quoteYes! They should spend the money on schools and hospitals.closing quote
Cate, 13, Belfast

opening quoteI think space is really interesting. I would like to know more I think them spending lots of money on space is great!closing quote
Gina, 11, Bristol

opening quoteI think that too much money is spent on space especially as most of the machines fail. The money could be put to much better use to improve things on earth. closing quote
Sophie, 13, Bridgnorth

opening quoteIt's good to explore other planets, but scientists should be trying to save our own planet and have those kinds of funds.closing quote
Maisie, 13, London

opening quoteI think it's important to send probes and so forth into space. 100's of years ago people felt the need to explore their surroundings, so travelled earth, now we are exploring outside our earth. Explorations years ago were expensive too, but people still went, even if they sometimes failed. It is just the same now as it was then.closing quote
Juliette, 13, Cardiff

opening quoteI think we should sort ourselves out before trying to find other places! I mean, look at the NHS, needing funds while the government's spending millions on trying to collect samples from the moon. In the words of Ron Weasley 'they have got to sort out their priorities'.closing quote
Louise, 13, Banstead

opening quoteYes way too much time is spent on space. We should spend more time looking at our own planet and how we are ruining it!!!closing quote
Jenny, 15, Bristol

opening quoteThat is over the top. It all failed in the end anyway. What a total waste of money. We should be spending money tackling problems on our planet rather than an unknown one.closing quote
Michelle, 13, Huddersfield

opening quoteWell it's better than being privatised. Who'd explore space if places like NASA became privatised? No-one because it would cost too much. I say they keep going, after all, you learn by your mistakes - even if they are 150million mistakes.closing quote
Nat, 13, Wirrall

opening quoteI think that way too much money is spent on space. I think they should stop thinking about something that's so far away and start thinking about the problems right here on earth. That's' where the money should be spent.closing quote
Charmaine, 13, Bristol

opening quoteCan't see the point of using money that's needed to help people on earth!closing quote
John, 12, Manchester

opening quoteWhat's the point in exploring space when we don't even know much about our own planet! We STILL haven't been to the bottom of the ocean!closing quote
Chris, 15, Crowfield

opening quoteWe know next to nothing about space. We need to explore more of it. For that we need money. Put it together, it all makes sense.closing quote
Hazel, 13, Cambridge

opening quoteI think that they are wasting a lot of money on these machines because they always fail and that's millions of pounds worth of machinery.closing quote
Antillia, 12, London

opening quoteObviously learning about a new planet would excite most people, however I think it's stupid to waste money on a piece of huge metal, and have no idea if it will work or not. Besides we need to learn more about our planet before we go venturing off to another one.closing quote
Kavita, 13, London

opening quoteIt's just silly wasting money on stupid machines, they just fail miserably. Whenever they send new ones into space, I always expect them to go wrong, it's so predictable so quit while you're ahead.closing quote
Tom, 11, East Sussex

opening quoteI think the budget is enough for now, it might have to increase once we become a bit more ambitious.closing quote
Rory, 15, London

opening quoteYeah it's way too much money to spend and for it not to even work. What's the point in wasting money on space? I really don't get it.closing quote
Dan, 14, Bolton

More InfoBORDER=0
PicturesOpportunity rover on Mars
PicturesSpirit rover probe on Mars
Find OutCheck this space guide
QuizTry the Beagle 2 quiz

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Genesis capsule crashes in desert
Genesis probe heads back to Earth
Scientists listen out for Beagle
Spirit 'may have landed in mud'

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club