Sci/Tech
 Weather
 Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

What's the best time of year to be born?
Updated 17 April 2004, 13.46
Is it better to be born in the summer?
A recent study has suggested that the time of year you were born could make you luckier!

But when do YOU think is the best time of year to be born?

Perhaps you were one of the youngest or oldest to start school...

And if so, has this affected you when it comes to competing in sports?

Do you have to put up with a birthday in the summer holidays when none of your mates are around...

Or so close to Christmas that it gets a bit lost?

E-mail and let us know!

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI was born in January and that's what I'm named after, my name's January! That's the best month to be born, but August is the worst because you're the smallest in class :-Dclosing quote
January, 10, Leicester

opening quoteBecause of the way age groups in sport are organised, if you're sporty it's best to be born in September-October time, because it means you're one of the oldest in your sporting year (same as school year), and every two years you end up being the oldest. If you're born in August, then you could end up racing against people who are a few days short of being 2 years older than you, which puts you at a massive disadvantage.closing quote
Charlotte, 15, Southampton

opening quoteIt has to be August! Which my birthday is in and it's the sunniest month and we have longer hols off school! Who wouldn't agree?closing quote
Katie, 14, Dorset

opening quoteMarch!!! It is the best because it is almost summer and Easter is coming up too.closing quote
Sandy, 10, Manchester

opening quoteMy birthday is March 11th - too late for half-term and too early for Easter holidays!closing quote
Clare, 14, Essex

opening quoteI have my birthday in the middle of August which usually means my friends are away on holiday. I haven't had a proper birthday party since I was about 8 years old. I like having my birthday in the summer but I'd prefer it to be right at the beginning or right at the end.closing quote
Sera, 14, Cardiff

opening quoteMy birthday is 29th April and it's by far the best because it's just after Easter holidays and it is somehow a turning point for me each year. It is not a common date to be born and it is very special. It is always sunny on 29th April too!closing quote
Intisar, 15, London

opening quoteMy birthday is January 4th and it's a bad time because it's right after Christmas so I never get much, but my birthday is always still in the Christmas holidays so I don't have any school!closing quote
Mandy, 14, Newcastle

opening quoteAugust is the best. Mine's August 4th, which is near the end of summer holidays and all my mates are back from hoildays. I'd hate to be my mate as her birthday is on Christmas Day!closing quote
Layla, 14, Dunstable

opening quoteThe best time to have your birthday is between September 1st and December 20th 'coz at school you would be one of the oldest. What you don't get for your birthday you'll get for Christmas. Your friends won't be on holiday for your birthday so you can have a huge party. The best time of the year is autumn and winter. You know Christmas is coming... closing quote
Sara, 13, Colchester

opening quoteThe best time to have your birthday is between September 1st and December 20th coz at school you would be one of the oldest. What you don't get for your birthday you'll get for Christmas. Your friends won't be on holiday for your birthday so you can have a huge party.closing quote
Sara, 13, Colchester

opening quoteJanuary, by far. That's when mine is, and you get another load of prezzies after Xmas, like you're living Xmas again! People show off about being born in May, but I don't like it!closing quote
Sarah, 11, Edinburgh

opening quoteMy birthday is in July and it's great!! It's just after any exams and before the end of school (and the reports) so you can enjoy yourself and don't have to celebrate in the rain!! Plus it's almost exactly slap bang the middle of the year so you don't have to wait too long between your birthday and x-mas!closing quote
Maddy, 14, Dorset

opening quoteMy birthday is on February 3rd it's a great time to have your birthday because there are no exams and all your friends are around.closing quote
Jane, 13, Newcastle

opening quoteI think it's best being born in summer because then you don't have to go to school! Also you can invite only the people you like and don't have to see people you don't like! It's really Cool!closing quote
Madison, 14, Woking

opening quoteMy birthday is January 4th and it's a bad time because it's right after Christmas so I never get much, but my birthday is always still in the Christmas holidays so I don't have any school!closing quote
Mandy, 14, Newcastle

opening quoteWell I think I'm extra luck because I'm born on New Years Day. It's really good because you celebrate your birthday and the new year.closing quote
Mahamud, 14, Watford

opening quoteIt depends what time of year you like best. If you like winter then I guess it's better to be born then. But I like summer because it's hot and that's when I was born.closing quote
Gracie, 14, Stockton

opening quoteSeptember is the best because you're the oldest. People like to show off about being older. I think it makes them feel more mature.closing quote
Nicola, 12, Essex

opening quoteMy birthday is in March and it's not that bad. I don't know many people born in March so I get more attention on my birthday. None of my friends have been away on my birthday so I've been able to have a party with all of them. It can be hot sometimes but sometimes it rains but I don't mind!closing quote
Rosie, 12, Chester

opening quoteI hate my birthday - it's Christmas Eve so everybody gets me one present for Christmas and birthday!!!!closing quote
Peter, 10, Manchester

opening quoteIt's my birthday at the end of May and it's good because it's in the middle of the year but next year it will be in the middle of the GCSEs!closing quote
Charlotte, 14, West Yorkshire

opening quoteMy birthday is always the first weekend of the summer holidays so I have a huge party with my mates to mainly celebrate my birthday but to also celebrate the end of school!closing quote
Amy, 15, Edinburgh

opening quoteMy birthday's May 5th and I think it's a great time of year 'coz it's not too near Christmas and it's at the beginning of summer so you get nice weather but it's also smack bang in the middle of sats week so that's a downside!closing quote
Becci, 13, Swindon

opening quoteMy birthday's on 15th July and I think it is the best time of year 'coz it's in summer and it's good weather. I'm not too sure about the report though. I don't think it's about what month you're born in - luck can be in anyone's destiny no matter what month they're born in.closing quote
Fatimah, 12, Glasgow

opening quoteOctober is blatantly THE best month to have your birthday in! I mean, the weather's not too hot, yet not too cold! There's school, so you get to see your mates on your birthday and it's not that near to Christmas, so you have time to admire your prezzies before.closing quote
Kate, 13, Aylesbury

opening quoteNovember is a great time for birthdays because that is when I have mine, and I get loads of prezzies. Then I only have to wait another month for my next load of prezzies!closing quote
Emily, 11, Surrey

opening quoteI disagree, I think August is a very unlucky time to have a birthday because if you want to have a party, then you can't go to school and tell everyone, and probably most of your friends will be on holiday abroad so you can't have a real party. I think somewhere round spring is the best.closing quote
Hannan, 13, Newcastle

opening quoteI think April - June are the best months because the weather is getting better, and not too close to Christmas. People go on holiday from July - August so you can't have a proper party. September- October is back to school, and everything else is rubbish weather and too close to xmas!closing quote
Jess, 13, Bristol

opening quoteMy Birthday is 31st August and I am the youngest in my year!! I like my birthday in August as you never go to school and it's always hot!!closing quote
Alice, 13, London

opening quoteMy birthday is June 25th, I think that is great because it is warm by then, the exams haven't started or are finished by then, and it is an evenly spread out distance from Christmas!closing quote
Arianna, 14, Reading

opening quoteHaving your birthday in August is the best because at that time you go on a holiday and it's so much more fun!closing quote
Rachel, 14, Leeds

opening quoteMy birthday's in August. It's the middle of the summer holidays so all my friends are away. I can't celebrate my birthday until after!closing quote
Charlotte, 14, London

opening quoteWell my birthday's in June and I think that's the best time of year to have it because it's right in the middle of the year so Christmas and your birthday are spread out and you're not waiting ages to get presents! And of course because it's usually nice and hot!closing quote
Louise, 13, Woking

opening quoteApril - it's half way through spring and summer's coming.closing quote
Reem, 13, London

opening quoteThe best time is May because it's supposed to be a lucky month. That's when I was born!closing quote
Leona, 10, Macduff

opening quoteHaving your birthday during summer exams is really annoying. You can't really have a party because all your friends are studying, it's so unfair!closing quote
Carrie, 15, Jamaica

More InfoBORDER=0
ChatWhat would you expect from a party bag?
ChatChat about school Life
QuizTry our luck quiz!

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Is your birthday linked to luck?
Summer birthdays could be luckier
Rupert fans celebrate his 15th birthday

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club