Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Which book has affected you the most?
Updated 22 March 2004, 11.17
World Book Day
To celebrate World Book Day on 4 March, people all over the world are talking about their favourite books and what they mean to them.

So, we want to know how much YOUR favourite book means to you...

Have you found a book that has affected you more than any other?

Perhaps it has opened up a whole new world or interest for you?

Or even had such an impact that it's changed your life?

E-mail and let us know.

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteNoughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman stuck in my head for ages. The ending is so sad and brought tears to my eyes. The characters seemed so real in my head and it has really touched me as a person emotionally and physically. If anyone wants a book that is interesting, involving, delving, intriguing and leaves you crying or touched/sad/excited/giggly at every chapter, then this is the ideal book for you!closing quote
Laura, 13, Tunbridge Wells

opening quoteI found the Dave Pelzer biographies- very powerful and moving, they were extremely tense and many scenes were horrifically described. On the opposite side of the spectrum- I also thought Chinese Cinderella a moving children's novel- very poignantly written.closing quote
Sonia, 14, Leamington Spa

opening quoteHarry Potter- I used to read mainly Enid Blyton until I read Harry Potter, and that really got me into the whole fantasy thing I'm stuck on now. After Harry Potter, I'd have to say LOTR which is exceedingly profound.closing quote
Susan, 14, Wiltshire

opening quoteEvery novel I've ever read affected me in one way or another. I particularly found Father Known by Leslie Pearse very influencing. It helped me understand why families sometimes fall apart and gave me a whole new view of life. Life is precious, so don't waste it.closing quote
Intisar, 15, London

opening quoteThe book that has effected me the most is actually a trilogy by Jacqueline Wilson Girls... so far there is Girls in Love, Girls Under Pressure, Girls out Late & Girls In Tears. I can really relate to them, you should give them a tryclosing quote
Katie, 12, Renton, Scotland

opening quoteTerry Pratchett has definitely affected my life more than any other author. His logic is soo insane it actually makes more sense than our own. He's made me think in ways I've never thought before and about things I've never even noticed. Only a truly brilliant author can have such an affect in my opinion.closing quote
Emily, 15, Kent

opening quoteSeveral books have affected me, Feather boy by Jackie Singer is so heart wrenching and really touching, it is a must to read. Also His Dark Materials trilogy is just so interesting and also Harry Potter. I'd be amazed if there is someone in existence who did not enjoy it.closing quote
Rachel, 10, Liverpool

opening quoteI read a book when I was about 11 called The Dark Tower which was the princess' view of the French Revolution. This book got me committed to historical fiction and history from all views, it's one of my favourite books.closing quote
Beth, 14, Cardiff

opening quoteHarry Potter v Tracy Beaker - they are two good books but I don't know which wins out of them.closing quote
Michael, 11, London

opening quoteHarry Potter is the best book I've ever read. It's got magical events which make me want to be there. The story is emotional, funny and scary. The greatest thing about Harry Potter is that he's clever, kind, famous and cute! The way he can make it realistic is amazing, romance and action is the first thing I thought of Harry Potter when I saw the movie The Philosopher's Stone.closing quote
Dina, 10, Banbury

opening quoteI think Star Seeker by Tim Bowler is the best book ever. It is about a boy who is in a gang and they make him steal a jewellery box from an old lady's house but he finds a lot more than just a jewellery box.closing quote
Freya, 12, York

opening quoteLucas by Kevin Brooks really affected me as it gave me a wider view on life and now I never take anything for granted. I would recommend this book to anyone and every time I hear the name Lucas a tear comes to my eye. It gets to you and you can't put it down. I've read it three times in one week because it is so brilliant!closing quote
Tara, 13, Birmingham

opening quoteThe story that affected me was the story that Hitler wrote. You can see evil in his eyes but I felt that I was reading his mind, that he felt angry that they put him in prison. He had such evil in him.closing quote
Samira, 14, Edgware

opening quoteThe Darren Shan books have affected me the most. It really changed my perspective on things and showed that some people have very different views to other people. It also shows you that there are many possibilities to things that seem simple.closing quote
Darren, 10, Scarborough

opening quoteNoughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman affected me most. It made me think about reality, and how we live in a racist world. How people say blacks and whites don't mix. I'm now reading the second, which seems equally brutal. Great books by the way.closing quote
Frank, 10, New Malden

opening quoteI have to agree with Rebecca, The Diary of Anne Frank is a very sad story. It is hard to believe what some people put the Jews through.closing quote
Emma, 12, Rothwell

opening quoteI liked the book Goodnight Mr Tom by Michelle Magorian. It is such a nice book, how Will develops when he's with Mr Tom.closing quote
Oliver, 13, Ipswich

opening quoteI think that Mr Nobody's Eyes is a great book and moved me by the whole thing of what life was like in World War 2 and the fact that life was not that easy.closing quote
Charlie, 10, Goring-by-Sea

opening quoteGirls in Love by Jacqueline Wilson affected me a lot because I'm going through that stage now and I understand so much for saying it's happening to me.closing quote
Stacey, 10, Derby

opening quoteNoughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman really affected me, she is a great writer, and the harsh reality of it really made me think about our society, and discrimination in other communities. It hasn't inspired me to change, but it has prompted me to think and broaden my mind.closing quote
Rose, 13, Ipswich

opening quoteThe book that affected me most was one called A Different Life. It was about a girl who contracted a serious illness from just playing in the sea, and who became paralysed from her legs down. It made me think totally differently about disabled people and their lives.closing quote
Holly, 12, Norwich

opening quoteThe Curious Incident of the Dog In The Nightime affected me. The narrative is written so well from the point of view of a teenage boy with Asperger's syndrome. There are plenty of other good books like Harry Potter etc but they didn't quite get to me like this one did.closing quote
Clare, 13, Essex

opening quoteDouble Act by Jacqueline Wilson. The twins felt real to me and it was a fantastic read!closing quote
Hadeel, 13, London

opening quoteFirewing by Kenneth Oppel was a powerfully moving book and helped you understand the secret life of bats and the struggle between life, death and eternity. A great read.closing quote
Anna, 10, Irvine

opening quoteThe Journey of the River Sea had a magical affect on me I would recommend any body any of Eva Ibastons books they are wonderfully written and make you feel like you are in the story and following Mami and the other characters around feeling how they are feeling. It is truly a wonderful book.closing quote
Kirsten, 11, Wisbech

opening quoteA child called It. It was horrible that I had to stop half way through!closing quote
Ffion, 13, Cardiff

opening quoteSurviving Hitler really affected me. It's the true story of a boy in World War 2 who was torn away from his family and sent to a concentration camp. Even though things were so terrible he kept going just so he could see them again. I couldn't put the book down because I was so desperate to see if he did.closing quote
Lauren, 13, South Shields

opening quoteThe book that REALLY made me think about life was from an Estonian writer - Aidi Vallik. The book was called How Are You Doing, Ann? and it was about a teenage girl who finds her mom's old diary & gets angry reading it.closing quote
Eveline, 14, Tallinn, Estonia

opening quotePrivate Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo and LOTR affected me, but in their own way. Private Peaceful was a heart-rending war story, told through the memories of Private Tommo Peaceful, and LOTR was a touching story about how we must unite - different religions, races etc if we are to get the 'ideal' world. I think both are memorable, unforgettable, and based on war.closing quote
Laura, 13, Launceston

opening quoteThe Child Called It by Dave Pelzer is a really good book and really moved me because it was really sad. It made me more grateful for who I am and the same with Chinese Cinderella and Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah.closing quote
Beeta, 13, Surrey

opening quoteThe Silver Sword was the first serious war related book that I can remember reading and it made me think about my family and how devastating it must be to be part and afraid when my life would be in risk. It actually made me cry, even though the ending was quite a happy one.closing quote
Soraya, 15, St Albans

opening quotePrincess by Jean Sassoon really affected me. It's about the shocking treatment of women in Saudi Arabia it was a real eye opener into what this world is capable of.closing quote
Lorraine, 15, London

opening quoteThe Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien really affected me, because it shows that good always combats evil and that there is always hope no matter what the circumstances are.closing quote
Laura-Jo, Rustington, West Sussex

opening quoteThe Harry Potter books by JK have got to be the best. Lots of action, romance... it's just amazing and brilliant. JK is such a good writer.closing quote
Maria, 12, Grantham

opening quoteI think books that show courage and lots of emotion effected me the most.closing quote
Sara, 12, London

opening quoteThe Dark Materials trilogy are definitely the books that have affected me most. Since finishing the Amber Spyglass I've started to look at life in a very different way. It makes me question the world around us and whether we are right.closing quote
Joe, 14, Asgeebal

opening quoteStarseeker by Tim Bowler was really amazing. It was about a boy who was struggling to cope with life, but music helped him through it.closing quote
Dora, 10, Ickenham

opening quoteMy favourite book is All American Girl because the main character always tries to do what she believes in and so do I.closing quote
Christie, 10, Nottingham

opening quoteEoin Colfer, writer of the Artemis Fowl series. Those books were great to read, as was the Redwall tales by Brian Jacques.closing quote
Ross, 14, Baldock

opening quoteI think Harry Potter is brilliant. You can't put it down. It tells you that you should fight for what you think is right even if you're the only one.closing quote
Jenny, 14, Essex

opening quoteThe books Noughts and Crosses and Knife Edge by Malorie Blackman affected me. It makes you realise how unfairly treated some people are treated just because of their skin colour. Those books really emphasize the fact that racism is a big part in our lives and that we should just value people for their personality, not what they look like.closing quote
Kate, 13, Aylesbury

opening quoteThe novel "Children of the Dust" shows what could have happened if nuclear bombs had destroyed England in the Second World War. It made me see the world in a different way, as the teenagers growing up in the aftermath have to try and live without making the same mistakes as the generation who fought in the war.closing quote
Rowena, 15, London

opening quoteNoughts and Crosses affected me. It is a very emotional story and I was very subdued when I finished it.closing quote
Tesni, 14, Somerset

opening quoteI read a book called Indian Mutiny. It was a very emotional book. It taught you the values of life, and the risks you take in life. It makes you think about questions you would've never thought of like: Why am I here? What is my goal in life? What crimes have I committed, and how could I make things better?closing quote
Twinkle, 13, Blackpool

opening quoteSabriel and Lirael from Garth Nix's trilogy were the most recent books to affect me. However The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams changed my life altogether. I would also recommend The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings to all who are keen on reading.closing quote
Steven, 13, Scotland

opening quotePride and Prejudice affected me because it made me realise just how women were only treated as good for marriage dowry and children in those days, and how Elizabeth Bennet overcame that through love!closing quote
Amy, 15, Nottingham

opening quoteMy favourite book is I capture the castle by Dodie Smith. It is a wonderful story about a girl called Cassandra Mortmain who's father is a very famous writer who falls in love with her sister's fiancé. It is really moving because it is so sad, but a lot of girls can relate to her feelings, even though Cassandra lives in the 1930's. I recommend it to any girl from the age of 11+.closing quote
Alice, 13, London

opening quoteChinese Cinderella really affected me. It is a true story and it was really touching. It was also good to know that although in China - a country so different, teenagers still feel the same way!closing quote
Emma, 15, Cambridge

opening quoteHis Dark Materials by Philip Pullman is the most enlightening series I have ever read. Each book is so fascinating that they have encouraged me even more to question what we really know. The books affect me in making me want to find the answers to such questions as is there an afterlife?closing quote
Catherine, 14, Prestwich

opening quoteAngela's Ashes has affected me. It tells you the story of a poor family in Ireland and tells you all the pain and trouble they've gone through such as death and illness.closing quote
Nichola, 13, Stirling

opening quoteThe book The Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Ma really brought a tear to my eye. It deals with communism and child abuse. An excellent read!!closing quote
Martha, 15, Dumfries

opening quoteI think all the books I've read were special in their own way and I wouldn't say as much that they affected me but more like inspired me to act, because it's a whole different world and when you act you can be somebody else!closing quote
Gabrielle, 13, Québec, Canada

opening quoteI think that To Kill A Mocking Bird really affected me. It seemed so unfair how the white people treated the black people. It really made you sit down and think about racism and how are world is racist against other cultures.closing quote
Imogen, 15, Exeter

opening quoteRemembrance by Theresa Breslin had a powerful affect on me. It told of the terror and loss of the first World War in detail and in a memorable story. I was moved to tears - this is one book I will remember forever.closing quote
Laura, 13, Launceston

opening quoteThe Diary of Anne Frank really affected me. She was a brilliant writer and it was such a terrible tragedy what happened to her.closing quote
Rebecca, 15, Birmingham

More InfoBORDER=0
ChatIn the hotseat: Eoin Colfer
WinWin top 10 children's books
WinWin the latest book releases
ClubI'm mad about reading!

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Pullman says tests will make kids hate books
The UK's top books are revealed
Kids know more about the net than books
Top kids' author gets book record
Potter book sales hit 250 million

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Win a Haunted Mansion goody bag!
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club