Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Living in care: your thoughts
Updated 18 February 2004, 18.47
Tracy Beaker
Around 78,000 children live in care, just like CBBC character Tracy Beaker.

This means they either live in children's homes or with foster families.

Sometimes they might stay there for a few days, but for some it might be years.

Have you ever lived in care? Or do you know anyone who has?

Have you ever lived with foster brothers and sisters?

E-mail us now and let us know your thoughts about living in care

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI don't know what it is like to be in care but here's a tip to whoever is: Being in care is not so bad because you will soon get used to it. The only bad thing is that you can't see your family very often and some of you never see your family. I am glad that I am not in care as it would make me very upset.closing quote
Nicola, 10, Watford

opening quoteI think some just do it for money, although some do like the idea of fostering because, either they can't have children, or their children have died. I like peace and quite and I don't think you can get much of that in a care home.closing quote
Hatice, 12, Liberton

opening quoteI think it's really great that people can be fostered, especially if they are in danger living at home. Our family fosters and it's always great to see how much happier they seem when they leave, compared to when they first come. And also children's homes are really great places, not horrible places!closing quote
Toby, 14, Suffolk

opening quoteLiving in care gives children the support and fun they would have at home. They can feel like they are in one big family. But they will one day wonder why they are not living with their parents, they may try to hide their feelings. I am sure Tracy Beaker knows her mum is not an actress or anyone famous, she just could not handle her.closing quote
Elycia, 12, Stevenage

opening quoteMy parents foster and we do not do it for the money - we foster because we want to help kids in care. It is not bad as the foster children are treated no differently and live a normal family life. Most of the foster children we have had are very nice.closing quote
Laura, 13, Wolverhampton

opening quoteStop feeling sorry for us, it's not that bad.closing quote
Peaches, 11, Altrincham

opening quoteI am not fostered or living in care - I never have. I think it would be uncertain in what you are doing and at school people will not understand the situation you are in.closing quote
Gem, 11, Blackburn

opening quoteI know someone who is in care - he misses his dad, but does visit him. He says living in care is alright but would love to be fostered and have a normal family again. I also think Tracy Beaker is nothing like being in care according to him.closing quote
Karen, 14, Northampton

opening quoteMy boyfriend is fostered but he seems really happy there and calls his foster parents mum and dad. I never really understood how or why he was fostered. The programme really helped me understand things.closing quote
Jo, 14, Colchester

opening quoteI don't really live in care so it's hard to say, but I must confess that I like Tracy Beaker so much I like to pretend I'm in care, but pretending or doing something else, I always feel safe. I know it must be terribly hard for them, but I don't know why I'm wasting my time if I'm not in care.closing quote
Millie, 9, Wolverhampton

opening quoteAt my last school I got bullied when I was in care.closing quote
Rita,13, Tadworth

opening quoteIt looks nasty to live in care. I feel really sorry for people who are in care they need someone to love them.closing quote
Kate, 10, Newcastle

opening quoteI've been moved around what seems like billions of care homes, and no one ever wants me. My worst fear is returning to my mum, as she is SCARY big time!closing quote
Maiya, 14, London

opening quoteI lived in care for about 3 years! I missed my parents a lot but my mum and dad visited me often. Tracy Beaker is always going on about being fostered. Tracy, it's not all it's cracked up to be - especially with rich parents, believe me I've been there.closing quote
Gervais, 11, Anerley

opening quoteI think it would be awful because you would have no privacy and you would have people taking your clothes and make up it would be depressing never seeing your mum and dad in some cases.closing quote
Katherine, 10, South Croydon

opening quoteI live in a care home - it's nothing like Tracy Beaker.closing quote
Stacey, 13, London

opening quoteMy boyfriend lives in care, he gets to see his family but he finds it hard. Social services don't like to move children from house to house but most of the time it's for the best. My boyfriend does have time to get out with friends but he does have limits to what he can do. He is settled now, but who knows?closing quote
Lizzie, 14, Wrexham

opening quoteI was born to a single mother who had no home, so she gave me to social services. I was then fostered, and now I've been adopted. I still feel normal, but special at the same time.closing quote
Liz, 13, London

opening quoteI have never lived in a care home but I would not like to. I think it is sad because they are taken away from their family and don't get to see them. I don't know any one who lives in a care home or with foster families.closing quote
Samantha, 9, Glasgow

opening quoteI would like to work as a care worker in a care home. closing quote
Niomie, 15, Warrington

opening quoteI live in care it's not bad but you do get a bit left out some times.closing quote
Holly, 9, London

opening quoteProgrammes like Tracy Beaker make care homes look quite fun as there are a lot of kids that you could play with and they are always having fun. I don't really know what it's like but I would say it is really bad as you can't see your family and are always put into different homes. I feel sorry for some of the kids in care as their parents have died and they know about it. It must be quite hard for them as they aren't as fortunate as us.closing quote
Amy, 14, Berkshire

opening quoteI've got a friend in care and she seems fairly happy though sometimes she really misses having a family, and being shown affection. It makes me grateful for having a family even though I know sometimes I take it for granted by arguing with my parents.closing quote
Lauren, 15, Sheffield

opening quoteFor some people living in care it's probably really good for them but I don't think all foster families or care homes are as nice as the programme Tracy Beaker.closing quote
Anna, 12, Cardiff

opening quoteI really feel for all those people in care but think of it this way - if there was no care system then what would the children do? It's all good ringing up a help line if you're being abused or have been abandoned but they cannot put a roof over your head can they?closing quote
Katherine, 12, Breaston

opening quoteIt must be hard to be separated from your parents and siblings. To have to continually move around never really staying in a place long enough for it to feel like home. It just shows how lucky I am even if sometimes I feel like my life is horrible.closing quote
Sarah, 14, London

opening quoteI think homes are great ideas. This stops children living on the street. I don't think it's as bad as every one makes out, if I ever had the chance I'd like to live in care for a week or two, to see what it is like.closing quote
Shaly, 13, Essex

opening quoteI live in foster care, and it isn't all doom and gloom... I have a foster mum who shows me that there is so much more to life! On the down side of things, I miss my bio Mum so much, and I feel so sorry for myself at times. I have very few friends 'cos of my problems.closing quote
Sarah, 16, Sussex

opening quoteWhat those articles fail to mention is that, in the US at least, people are paid to be foster parents, and many do it only to get the cash.closing quote
Nathan, 13, USA

opening quoteI think it is horrible how people feel sorry for children in care cos it isn't their fault and what if they are happy??closing quote
Anna, 11, Morpeth

opening quoteI never had any idea what it was really like to be in care home. You see things on the TV, like Tracy Beaker where she is really happy and well looked after. I think that they should make the programme so that it shows just what it is really like in a care home to help children more fortunate to learn about what it is like.closing quote
Emma, 14, Essex

opening quoteI don't live in care, so I can't really sum up how young people who live in homes experience life. But if they are around people they admire and have grown to love they can be as happy as us. Programmes such as Tracy Beaker aren't really that factual and probably very different in showing life for the average child in care - something which probably annoys these people.closing quote
Ryan, 14, Enniskillen

opening quoteI know what it's like to live in care - try not to ever be in the situation it's one of the worst places you can go.closing quote
Sinead, 14, Birmingham

opening quoteI had always thought that people in care were really depressed but now that I've heard what they have to say I feel on the upside.closing quote
Izzie, 15, London

opening quoteMy grandmother was a foster parent and the kid would have to take the time to get used to the house and school and then once they get used to it they'd have to leave and go into another foster home. They'd keep switching homes until they were adopted.closing quote
Stephanie, 12, Toronto, Canada

opening quoteI have 1 person who's in care at our house but now she's gone. But she used to help me when I was small which I think is really nice.closing quote
Nowrin, 10, Nottingham

opening quoteI don't know what it's like to live in care, but if I was then I'd be very depressed.closing quote
Hira, 12, Hayes

opening quoteI don't know what it's like to live in care but I do know what it's like to foster someone. My family is a foster family and at the moment we are fostering a 13 year old girl. She is the first child we have fostered and I find it really hard to treat her normally even though I know I should. I find it hard to share my parents with another girl my age. I think I would like to have someone younger if we do foster someone else.closing quote
Beth, 12, Bridport

opening quoteI have been in 5 different foster homes but one of them was just for a week. I have been with the family I am with now for about a year. It is scary to live in other people's houses but most people are really nice. I have only had to change schools twice. The hardest part is missing your family and saying goodbye to foster families, especially if you have been with them for ages.closing quote
Sarah, 14, Liverpool

opening quoteI never new what it was like in care. I knew they look after you but not as much as your mum does and I never realised how much you miss your family but now I feel sorry for the people that live in a care home.closing quote
Lauren, 12, Heywood

opening quoteI think it would be so horrible to live in a care home. I would feel so lonely and un-loved. I feel sorry for those people who are living in care.closing quote
Emma, 14, Kilmarnock

opening quoteI would hate to live in care.closing quote
Victor, 13, Birmingham

opening quoteI had no idea what it was like living in a care home. It sounds a bit like living at home but with more people about.closing quote
Harry, 13, Rotherham

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Full Taking care section
PRESS PACK REPORTS
WATCH THIS EXTRA
YOUR COMMENTS
GUIDE TO CARE
QUIZ
HELP
CELEBS IN CARE
CHAT
CBBC YOUR LIFE
Full Extras section
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Win a Haunted Mansion goody bag!
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club