Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

How good are you with your money?
Updated 22 January 2004, 18.37
finance lessons to be taught in schools
Lessons on how to handle your cash have been such a hit in some schools they're now being aimed at all schools.

It's hoped the lessons will give school leavers the know-how on saving money and not getting into debt.

So, d'you think you need lessons in how to handle your money?

Do you know the meaning of the word save?

Or are you already on your way to your first million?!

Whatever you're like, e-mail us and let us know!

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI can save 100 in my money box then I take it along to my bank.closing quote
Abi, 10, Marlow Bottom

opening quoteI have over 1000 pounds in my account. I have been saving since I was 5.closing quote
David, 11, Portobello

opening quoteAre you kidding? I've been saving my money since I was 5, I only spent $10 on a Harry Potter Poster book, leaving me $215 in my purse today!closing quote
Kristin, 11, St. Joe

opening quoteWe've already got a bank in our school which is quite cool as you can get a safe and yes I do buy a lot of rubbish. I want it there and then!!closing quote
Matt, 12, Poole

opening quoteI am ok with my money. I can save loads of it up but then end up spending it in one go.closing quote
Samantha, 13, Huddesfield

opening quoteI think it's a good idea, especially as the kids who don't work hard could end up in massive debt. They might realise that if they work hard they will be much better in life.closing quote
Nanci, 12, Woking

opening quoteWhen it comes to money, with me it's just spend, spend, spend. Everything is so expensive these days. I think it's a brilliant idea teaching us how to use our money wisely as it should stop the next generation getting into as much debt.closing quote
Kate, 13, Havant

opening quoteI think it's a great idea that school are introducing a course on how you deal with money. My granny has always encouraged me to save money but not everyone has someone to influence their savings.closing quote
Sinead, 13, Ireland

opening quoteI'm usually really good at saving money and only spend when I see something I really like. But I think it would be good to learn about how to handle more serious money problems for when we are older.closing quote
Becca, 12, Cumbria

opening quoteMy mum thinks that if I put about 20p in a jar every day, by April I would have saved up to 24. I started two days ago and I have saved nearly 2 (I put a bit extra in if I could).closing quote
Nikita, 13, Essex

opening quoteThe government are only trying to make us good with money because of the massive debts they are going to get all students into later by introducing top up fees!closing quote
Roxanne, 12, Liverpoool

opening quoteI am alright at saving. I've been saving since I was 7 but I've been getting lazy. I've been forgetting to get my pocket money (2.50 per week) and I've been spending quite a lot.closing quote
Lianna, 10, Belfast

opening quoteI get 5 pounds pocket money every weekend, but I always spend it straight away on magazines, clothes and sweets. I think it's a great idea helping us out.closing quote
Anna, 12, West Yorkshire

opening quoteI'm rubbish at saving money, once I have it I just have to spend it. I buy good things though like LOTR stuff and other DVD's!! these lessons are a brill idea.closing quote
Laura-Jo, 15, West Sussex

opening quoteI am fine with my money, and I have got loads of money saved up. I think that these lessons are a load of rubbish and they are definitely not needed for kids that don't even need to pay tax!closing quote
Alice, 12, Stevenage

opening quoteI am really good at saving money. I only buy things I really want, and know I will use a lot and will enjoy for a long time to come. But sometimes you just got to do something nice for yourself, you know?closing quote
Laura, 13, Helensburgh

opening quoteI think it's a great idea 'cos I'm rubbish with my money. The second I get it, I just want to spend spend spend!!! I really need to save though so I can buy a car when I'm 17closing quote
Lynsey, 13, Buckinghamshire

opening quoteI already know a lot about finance. I know different taxes, loans, debt and more, but nobody else in Year 7 knows the difficulties of money. So I think this is a great idea.closing quote
Sathesh, 11, East Ham

opening quoteWhen I get money it just burns a hole in my pocket. I always ask my mum for money and I beg until she gives in.closing quote
Mari, 9, Llandysul

opening quoteI think lessons on how to handle your money is a good idea because it can really help you in later life.closing quote
Jack, 11, London

opening quoteI'm terrible with money, although I can't resist a bargain! Some days I'm just lying in bed thinking I want that bag so much! I'll go and get it after school. That's how bad I am with money. I can't even wait till the weekend!!!!closing quote
Ellie, 15, London

opening quoteI get 30 a week for allowance and I save up until there's something I really need!!closing quote
Paul, 14, Aberdeen

opening quoteI can't save money at all. I save up for a little bit, then go out and spend every penny. My brother's worse though. As soon as he has money, he spends it.closing quote
Kate, 11, Richmond

opening quoteI'm hopeless at saving money I only get to about 3 pounds then spend it! So these lessons are going to be great for me!closing quote
Yvette, 10, Tollesbury

opening quoteI'm useless at saving money. I try occasionally to save but I end up going on a shopping spree and spending it all. I really need those lessons!!closing quote
Jenny, 14, Bristol

opening quoteI'm always looking at things that I want to buy, then going, 'nah, too expensive!' I think I need lessons on how to SPEND money!closing quote
Caitlin, 11, Edinburgh

opening quoteI'm rubbish at saving at the moment! But I have saved 20 for my skiing money... that's taken me ages 'cos I spend money on everything normally!closing quote
Lou, 13, Essex

opening quoteI think I'm quite good at saving. I put most of it in the bank and I keep the rest to save up for when I go out - which is rare.closing quote
Anika, 15, Leicester

opening quoteI always think to myself that I should save up - but there's always something that like a magazine that I really want to buy. I used to get loads of mags - but now only TOTP and Smash Hits so I think I'm getting better at saving although all my Xmas money was spent quickly.closing quote
Caroline, 11, Rugby

opening quoteI start saving and then I spend money when I see something I like so I'm not very good with my money.closing quote
Tom, 12, Barnsley

opening quoteI get 15 a week and I have tons left over.closing quote
Sam, 11, Ashton

opening quoteI think it is a good idea. I really would love to go on a round the world trip when I'm at college so I can visit my many relatives, but if I'm not careful, I could end up stuck in Canada with no money!!closing quote
Charlotte, 10, Bedford

opening quoteI get 90 a month and I try saving it but sometimes at the end of each month I always end up with nothing. I have no idea about different types of bank account either. So lessons would be good.closing quote
Pete, 15, Olney

opening quoteI'm quite good with money, on the whole. I admit that I do have odd spending sprees though. But because I don't get that much money and I have to work for it I also only get it at the end of the month. So I don't get much time to spend it.closing quote
Emily, 15, Kent

opening quoteI'm rubbish at saving money! Whenever I see something I like I just have to buy it but I never have enough money 'coz I just keep spending. I could really do with these lessons!closing quote
Harmony, 13, West Midlands

opening quoteI always save up my money cause I know I'll regret it later if I don't!closing quote
Amber, 14, London

opening quoteI'm rubbish with money! I spend it straight away. I used to get pocket money but my mum gave up because I couldn't wait to spend it.closing quote
Maria, 11, Crewkern

opening quoteI usually always make my new years resolutions as "try to save money". It never works of course, and I break it after the second day! So what?! I can't help that the January sales are at the wrong time of year!closing quote
Kate, 13, Aylesbury

opening quoteI already get lessons in maths about money, such as hire purchase and loans, and I already have a savings account with plenty of money in it.closing quote
Kenny, 13, Bathgate

opening quoteI am hopeless at saving money when I get pocket money. I say to myself I won't spend but I end up spending it on sweets or mags - things I don't need. I think lessons are a great idea.closing quote
Amy, 11, Bristol

opening quoteWhen I was about seven I just bought everything I saw, even these stupid little pencil sharpeners and rubbers at National Trust places. Now, I'm getting really good, mainly because everything in the shops look rubbish. I'm on my way to a hundred quid!closing quote
Jennifer, 10, Essex

opening quoteI'm hopeless! When I get my money I spend it on that day! I don't save up my money either!closing quote
Caitlin, 13, Hemel Hemstead

opening quoteWhat's the point of having money if you can't spend it!!closing quote
Anisa, 13, High Wycombe

opening quoteI am terrible with money, I try to save up, then my auntie takes me shopping!closing quote
Karen, 13, London

opening quoteI am no good at saving money, 'coz I see stuff I like then buy it, so I never have enough money to by the stuff I want, so I ask my mum and dad for money!closing quote
Lucy, 11, Paignton

opening quoteI get 13 a month 'cos it's my age! I'm a bargain-hunter so stuff I can't really afford I get for my birthday or Christmas. I think it's a great idea because it will teach people how to avoid debt in the future.closing quote
Clare, 13, Essex

opening quoteMost of the time I'm careful with my money. I still think it's a good idea for the small amount of time you lose track of your money.closing quote
Barry, 12, Bray, Ireland

opening quotel am ok some of the time with my cash but when you're with mates you just spend, spend, spend.closing quote
Hannah, 13, Birmingham

opening quoteI think that we should have these lessons because I am forever spending my bus fare at lunch time and having to persuade my friends to give me money!closing quote
Izzy, 11, Maidenhead

opening quoteI could really do with these lesson because when I get money I'm at the shops straight away.closing quote
Michelle, 10, Plymouth

opening quoteI save up my money but when I go shopping I just can't help it and spend it all!closing quote
Aimee, 14, Epsom

opening quoteI am a really big spender. I can never save my money - whenever I get money it's gone in a day!closing quote
Nathan, 11, Harlow

opening quoteI get 30 pounds a month and make a shopping list of what I need to buy. Then I buy the important stuff and save the rest 'till I find something I want!closing quote
Elycia, 12, Stevenage

opening quoteI want to go on a World Challenge expedition to Borneo in 2005, but if I want to go I have to raise 3000 all by myself. I wasn't very good at handling money until this opportunity came along, and now I'm much better at it.closing quote
Sarah, 14, Wimbledon

opening quoteI am really good at saving my money because I never want anything they have in the shops.closing quote
Mat, 11, London

opening quoteI'm really good at saving. I just lock my money box, loose the key and hope it'll turn up somewhere when I need it.closing quote
Andrew, 13, Co. Down

opening quoteI'm hopeless at saving and always want to buy things I can't afford... so I could probably do with these lessons!closing quote
Ben, 12, Durham

More InfoBORDER=0
Find OutWhat is the Budget?
VoteHow much do you spend?
ClubI earn extra money from a paper round

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Girls get more pocket money than boys
Girls bigger spenders than boys
Welsh kids get the most pocket money
Pocket money divides UK kids

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club