Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Are you unhappy with your body?
Updated 08 January 2004, 19.02
90% of girls are unhappy with their bodies
A survey by Bliss magazine has revealed that nine out of 10 girls are unhappy with their bodies.

Are you one of the 90% of girls who doesn't like what you see in the mirror?

Perhaps you'd rather be more rounded like Beyonce... or skinnier like Kylie?

Or d'you think it's possible to be happy with the way you look?

E-mail us now.

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI don't see why people get upset - you should be proud of your body and not worry about what other people think.closing quote
Georgina, 11, Harrogate

opening quoteI wouldn't be really unhappy with my body except that I get made fun of because I'm fat.closing quote
Jenny, 14, Bristol

opening quoteI feel so fat because my stomach sometimes hangs over my trousers and I have to suck in. Also I have really fat legs and spots. I hate myself!closing quote
Ellen, 13, Tonbridge

opening quoteI wish I'd had a chance to do the web chat with the bliss editor the other day. It really annoys me that these 'feel good about yourself' articles are placed right next to fashion or celebrity sections that depict unhealthily skinny women. It's sooooo hypocritical!closing quote
Lucy, 14, Newbury

opening quoteI think that dieting when you are a teenager is stupid and that people should ignore rude or horrible comments and just try to get on with life. You should not be unhappy about the way you look. Nobody is perfect, not even celebs 'cos if they were perfect then why would they have plastic surgery?closing quote
Briony, 12, Portsmouth

opening quoteI have always hated the way I look. I try to look in the mirror as little as possible. I am curvy in all the wrong places, and if I see someone really slim and pretty it makes me want to cry. But seeing all of the celebs in tight skinny outfits does make me want to lose weight! I've done it before and I'm going to do it again!closing quote
Rachael, 12, Norwich

opening quoteI have always hated the way I look. I try to look in the mirror as little as possible . I am curvy in all the wrong places , and if I see someone really slim and pretty it makes me want to cry . But seeing all of the celebs in tight skinny outfits does make me determined and make me want to lose weight! I've done it before and I'm going to do it again !closing quote
Xara, 15, Portsmouth

opening quoteI'm really unhappy about my weight. I have two best friends and one of them is seriously thin, and the other one is average for my age. They say that I'm not fat but I know they are just saying that to be nice. I always look at myself in the mirror and I really do watch what I eat. I do dancing, but that seems to have done nothing. And this is all thanks to celebrities.closing quote
India, 11, Hastings

opening quoteI don't know what the big deal is about it. Just think 'I don't care what other people think of me it's just what I think of me that matters'. I wear this hat to school and I think people think I look strange but I don't care, I like the hat.closing quote
Isla, 10, London

opening quoteWhy should kids be worried about their bodies when they should be worried about other IMPORTANT stuff? I mean, who cares what other people say? Stay strong and remember to have confidence in yourself no matter what.closing quote
Sahar, 11, Richmond Hill

opening quoteAt the moment I'm quite happy with my weight but I find it hard to keep up with my friends because they're so slim and seem to do a lot of exercise. I try not to let it bother me. If I lose weight it will be for me, not for anyone elseclosing quote
Laura, 15, Aberdeen

opening quoteI think it is silly to agonise about your weight. Everybody is different and nobody is perfect. It is silly to lust after celebrities bodies because they have personal trainers and personal dieticians and things that normal people don't have.closing quote
Rosie, 14, Oxford

opening quoteIf people think you're fat then just laugh, or if people say your thin, like with me, then laugh and say your not thin at all. Because let's face it, the only person who cares what you look like is you!closing quote
Nat, 13, Banbury

opening quoteI am quite thin and I get called twig and my mates think I am anorexic when I eat tonnes of food. I just can't get fat so I think some people should be happy even when they overweight because it might just be the way you are built.closing quote
Fiona, 12, Dundee

opening quoteI am not exactly the skinniest of people, to be honest I am quite big! But, my figure is not everything to me. I do get down about it but I get on with my life! I attend a modelling academy, and nobody there cares about how I look, so I just want to say to everyone - get on with your life and stop fussing over your body because you all have your own special traits, and people who matter don't care.closing quote
Charlie, 15, Hawkinge

opening quoteYes, I am very unhappy with my body. I don't know why... I'm sure to some people I'm pretty, but I always long to look like other people.closing quote
Kayla, 13, USA

opening quoteEveryone is always worried that they are too fat but I am the opposite. I was born premature and am quite slim. I do not like my body at all but there is nothing I can do to change or make myself look better.closing quote
Marie, 13, Romsey

opening quoteI'm not severely unhappy with myself, but sometimes I feel fat and ugly. I get teased a lot at school because I have really short hair and those comments are really demoralising.closing quote
Lili, 13, Cambridge

opening quoteThe whole fuss everybody makes about being under/overweight just shows us how self-obsessed we really are. Image is such a big problem with girls because people make it a big problem. If people realised how coverage just makes matters worse a lot of time and effort would be saved and people with the problems could get the help they needed.closing quote
Andy, 15, Blackburn

opening quoteI think a lot of people are obsessed with body image. People should let go and have a good time once in a while instead of fussing over weight, make-up and "does my bum look big in this". We should all enjoy life and use it wisely, we only get it once! I know people as young as six who are constantly whinging over these things.closing quote
Faye, 13, Eastbourne

opening quoteThank goodness, I'm happy with my body. I'm not fat and I'm not Kylie but I think it doesn't matter. I think the person from the inside is more important. A fat woman won Pop Idol, not because she's fat, just because she's good and nice. People should be thankful that they're healthy and not worse.closing quote
Hannah, 13, Newcastle

opening quoteI am unhappy with my body because I'm the smallest girl in the class and some of my friends are the tallest in the class. I wish I was bigger!closing quote
Jenny, 13, New York

opening quoteI really hate my body. I know I'm way too fat. Every day I look in the mirror and I'm disgusted with myself. I really hate it when skinny people go on about how fat they are.closing quote
Kirsty, 13, Devon

opening quoteI don't really care ! I may be a bit fat but as long as I am healthy that's all that matters!closing quote
Hannah, 13, London

opening quoteI work hard to look the way I do - I don't diet or anything but I do sit-ups and play footie to keep fit. I'm proud that I am able to stay in shape -and lucky to have a fast metabolism.closing quote
Em, 14, Louiseville

opening quoteWhy does it just have to be girl's that don't like their bodies? I would love to have a more toned body and when I see pictures or guys on TV with "perfect" bodies it just makes me want to develop my body even more.closing quote
John, 15, Wigan

opening quoteYes! I really want to lose weight! I hate my body so much! I look in the mirror wishing I looked like Britney Spears! I've been loosing weight but I'm still not happy! I don't know why! Everyone says I'm not fat but I feel it!!closing quote
Trisha, 14, Surrey

opening quoteI am very unhappy with the way I look. I am taller so I weigh more but my friends are shorter than me so they weigh less. I think I'm really fat and ugly and they say I'm not but I think they're just trying to be nice.closing quote
Rachel, 11, USA

opening quoteI admit that I am unhappy with my figure. I'm chunky but not fat. I don't think many models or actresses are very good role models when it comes to weight because too many of them are slim and many of us girls want to have a body like theirs and we'd do anything to get it!closing quote
Saunie, 14, Leeds

opening quoteI love the way I look. I think I'm gorgeous. Everyone thinks so too!closing quote
Jill, 15, Lurgan

opening quoteI look fat near my friends, but it's not me who is fat, it's them who are too skinny!!closing quote
Milan, 15, Spain

opening quoteI feel pressured into being skinny because everyone else is in my class. Celebrities can be really skinny and don't set a good example to teenagers. This is why so many people have eating disorders. I love being tall but I hate the rest of my body. You can be really self-conscious about your body image and it doesn't help that some celebs are too thin.closing quote
Nicola, 13, Manchester

opening quoteI feel happy with my body and wouldn't change it for any reason.closing quote
Mya, 13, London

opening quoteI think it's hard for girls in their teens because they supposedly see other slimmer prettier girls and want to be them. Everyone wants to be more popular, but it's not what you look like at all, and every one isn't perfect.closing quote
Louise, 14, Stockport

opening quoteNobody's perfect, even famous people. What about fat actors? Or short ones? They still get paid for what they do. A fat woman won Pop Idol - people should be more positive.closing quote
Imogen, 13, Isle of Wight

opening quoteSure there are things I'd like to change about my body. I'm really tall which is annoying and I'm a bit fat but it doesn't worry me. I'm just me!closing quote
Sarah, 14, Birmingham

opening quotePeople at school always call me fat, even though I'm the correct weight for my age and I fit perfectly into clothes for my age group. I don't think my body is that bad when I look in the mirror, but I do wonder that if people tease me for being 'fat' then what is their definition of slim???closing quote
Jemima, 13, Swindon

opening quoteI'm happy with my body. I'm not too fat or skinny. My friends always go on about how they envy my body but they have nothing to worry about so it can get annoying! I do have spots and a big nose so that can sometimes get me down.closing quote
Lizzie, 14, Hampshire

opening quoteI'm 13 and am on a diet that involves loads of sport. I hate the way I look and weigh 10 stone but I'm not that fat. I'm not skinny though it's my muscle that makes me heavy so don't judge yourself by your weight. I used to be anorexic but got over it.closing quote
Kellie, 13, Devon

opening quoteI think that I'm over weight and I go on diets but now I know that if I worry about my body all the time it will just make me miserable!!closing quote
Katy, 11, Cardiff

opening quoteI'm not unhappy with my body, it's who I am, even if I would prefer to be taller and have longer legs!closing quote
Sarah, 15, Basingstoke

opening quoteI don't hate the way I look, but I don't like my weight. My mum say I'm the right weight for my height and it's also because I do a lot of dancing - my muscles are heavier. I think it is a huge problem for girls and boys but mainly for girls.closing quote
Rebecca, 14, Hertfordshire

opening quoteI'm way too tall - I'm twelve and five foot nine inches. It really sucks because I'm always the tallest one and no guys are this tall expect high-schoolers and they won't go out with me and I don't want to go out with a really short guy.closing quote
Lisha, 12, Portland

opening quoteGirls are unhappy with their bodies because of what boys will think of them. Boys are perfectly happy with what you look like. It's your personality that counts!closing quote
Tom, 13, Gloucester

opening quoteI am skinny and I cannot see it - I wish I could. Everyone says I am. I have suffered from anorexia and I suppose that doesn't help. I am just getting over it.closing quote
Kirsty, 15, Armadale

opening quoteI don't have any problems with my figure. It really annoys me when girls I know pinch a handful of skin and moan about how fat they are. Most people I know are thinner than me, even though I know I'm nearly underweight. Everyone's so paranoid; it's best just to enjoy yourself and not worry.closing quote
Kim, 14, London

opening quoteNo! I love my body just the way it is, thank you very much! I could never diet anyhow, I'd get hungry!closing quote
Susan, 14, Wiltshire

opening quoteTo tell the truth, I couldn't care less! I know that I am what I am and my appearance doesn't matter. There are better things to do with my life than mope around because I'm taller than most guys.closing quote
Juliette, 13, Cardiff

opening quoteI think stars like J Lo and Beyonce are better looking than skinny people like Kylie! And that's because they look healthy and compatible, I would like to have their bodies!closing quote
Tues, 15, Kent

opening quoteI personally try to be happy with the way I am but I do actually go on a small diet 'cause I always eat sweets and chocs - if I never eat them I actually lose some weight!closing quote
Rayka, 12, London

opening quoteI love the way I look. I wouldn't change any part of me.closing quote
Emma, 14, Ayrshire

opening quoteI am small for my age. I like being small and I am not bothered if people say anything to me. I know that the people that say things to me think bad things about themselves and they will know that they have.closing quote
Jess, 13, Sunderland

opening quoteI'm short, not exactly model size (not jumbo either, really) but worst is that I have freckles. Not just few on each cheek to look cute. I have a lot. I'm so jealous of tall, slim and tanned girls. But my friends say I'm fine, I guess everyone feels like this.closing quote
Laura, 12, Carcavelos

opening quoteI don't think anyone can ever be totally happy with the way they look. I think there's always some imperfection that you'll pick at and worry yourself over when it's really not that important. closing quote
Ellie, 14, London

opening quoteI must be the skinniest person in the world and I always get horrid remarks from people but it's not my fault because I eat absolutely loads every day but it does not make any difference to my size! How do I make myself fatter?closing quote
Laura, 13, Croydon

opening quoteI hate my body and seeing loads of perfect celebrities in magazines all the time just makes it worse.closing quote
Christina, 14, London

opening quoteI have so many friends who really want to change their bodies because they think they're to fat, I was like that 'till I realised that it was mainly muscle and that I was quite strong and tall but I just watch what I eat and so far I've kept my myself at a good weight.closing quote
Lizzie, 13, Oxted

opening quoteWhen I look at myself in the mirror, sometimes I am unhappy with my body. I wish that I was just that little bit thinner. People say not to worry and to love your body but you just can't help think that there is something wrong, and that you wish you were different in some way.closing quote
Anna, 13, Islington

opening quotePeople always diet. What happened to eating healthily and exercising regularly? It works you know!!closing quote
Imogen, 14, Burbage

opening quoteI'm to skinny I wish I had curves like the girls in my year.closing quote
Katie, 13, Devon

opening quoteI am very unhappy with my looks and my body. I think I'm ugly and fat even though my family try to persuade me otherwise, I hate the way I feel and want to change this but I can't.closing quote
Sophie, 14, Brighton

opening quoteI hate my body. I feel so fat and dread doing swimming at school. I have considered having surgery and when I'm 18 I will have surgery to make me look better. I think it is important to be happy with the way you look. My friends get annoyed with me when I complain about my body but they don't understand. I went through a stage of bulimia but I hated it.closing quote
Carla, 14, Hampshire

opening quoteThe only main reason girls are obsessed is because they think people will respect them more and boys will like them. If boys like you then it's not just for your body!closing quote
Angharad, 13, Cwmbran

opening quoteI am quite slim for my age, but it seems like my bum was always too big for the rest of my body. Then, the other day, my mate was saying how much she would like to swap with me! Girls worry too much about their size and shape. I think you should only lose weight if you are endangering your health.closing quote
Beth, 13, Newcastle

opening quoteI hate my body! I'm so skinny although I eat loads! I wish I had a but more fat in me!closing quote
Hadeel, 13, London

opening quoteI am very unhappy with my body. It's not so much my weight or figure, it's my height. I'm short for my age and it depresses me to constantly see perfect slim tall girls and models and actresses in the public eye - they always get attention. It's just not fair!!closing quote
Jennifer, 14, Kenilworth

opening quoteI try to diet but feel weak and can't cope with it. Too much pressure from "perfect" models in magazines. It's not good for young people to have to cope with the fact they are not image perfect. We can't all look like models!!closing quote
Jenni, 15, Liverpool

opening quoteI am always worried about the way I look and asking my mates if I look fat but they just laugh at me and say I'm acting like a girl so I suffer in silence now.closing quote
James, 15, Chelmsford

opening quoteI hate my body! I think everyone is staring at my body 'coz I'm fat - but everyone says I'm not fat!closing quote
Kelly, 10, Basildon

opening quoteYou sometimes can't help but worry about your image, because it can be very important for girls. But having pop stars and models being really skinny - it doesn't help.closing quote
Rebecca, 14, Wales

opening quoteWell it depends really, when I look in the mirror I can feel and look great depending on what clothes I'm wearing, but once I'm out in the open I begin to hold my tummy in etc. It's a kinda old habit.closing quote
Helena, 14, Grimsby

opening quoteI am unhappy with my body sometimes even though I know I shouldn't be. Body image is such a big problem for girls.closing quote
Sophie, 13, Bridlington

More InfoBORDER=0
Find OutWhy do we look in the mirror?
Chathotseat: Bliss editor
VoteAre celebs too thin?
ClubThere's too much pressure on us to look good

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Teenage girls 'hate their bodies'
Teenage girls diet more than boys
Young kids worried about body image
UK has a million overweight children
Bliss editor Helen Johnston in the hotseat

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club