Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

What do you text about?
Updated 09 December 2003, 19.06
texting
18 million more text messages than normal were sent on the day England clinched victory against Australia in the Rugby World Cup final!

All that congratulating or commiserating gave your thumbs a good work out!

But what else do you write in your texts?

Do you mostly send greeting style txts on special occasions - or just to say hello on any old day?

Perhaps you prefer to text things like jokes, gossip or have a conversation?

Or maybe you use it in a practical way to make arrangements to meet up or send reminders.

Whatever you txt about, email and let us know!

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI txt to chat and keep me from boredom, or to ask about homework, and a more discreet form of contact with my boyfriend.closing quote
Genny, 13, Watford

opening quoteI don't text. It's too expensive, and I have to pay for my own mobile charges.closing quote
Emily, 14, Louisville

opening quoteI gossip in texts and if its someones birthday I'll send them a happy birthday text or something like that! Texting RULES!closing quote
Clare, 12, Orpington

opening quoteI don't text that much, actually, that's a lie - I text a lot, but I try not to, because it costs a bomb, but some of my friends are easiest to communicate with by text rather than phone, and you know, if a vital piece of gossip comes up or a catastrophe occurs......!!closing quote
Anna, 15, Edinburgh

opening quoteI txt about boys I fancy in my class! And gossip about other people!closing quote
Kenzie, 13, London

opening quoteI txt my mates if I forget something or just generally to talk. Texting can also be useful if you want to get hold of the person quite quickly.closing quote
Susie, 12, Bradford

opening quoteI text friends and family to let them know what's happening. If I find a cool joke or quote I'll send them that. I vote for music videos that I want to see on the TV and I enter competitions. These days I think this is what most people do.closing quote
Brooke, 13, New Zealand

opening quoteI use it for everything! Texting to see how people are, to make arrangements for meeting up, on special occasions, to send jokes or just because I feel like texting one of my friends! closing quote
Sammi, 15, East Sussex

opening quoteI txt to keep in touch with my parents to let them no where I am and stuff.closing quote
Tom, 13, Hornsea

opening quoteI text my friends about arrangements and just to say hello sometimes. But we also use MSN as that's cheaper and it's instant messaging.closing quote
Laura, 11, Sheffield

opening quoteI txt my friends because I don't see a lot of them as they have moved school. And anyway, it's cheaper than sending a mail through the post.closing quote
Ben, 9, Bradford

opening quoteI text my mates for all different kinds of reasons. I text them about what had happened at school or if anyone had any juicy gossip. It's all about keeping in touch with each other.closing quote
Kathryn, 13, Aberdeen

opening quoteI text about lots of things especially if I'm bored.closing quote
Amanda, 14, UK

opening quoteI always text my mates jokes and things. It's better than talking on the phone because my mum always listens when I'm talking to my boyfriend and I text my mates when they're on the other side of the classroom. The worst thing is that it costs a lot of money if you text every day. closing quote
Roxy, 13 Southend on Sea

opening quoteI don't text. It's one of the most boring ways of communicating and it's hard to read all the abbreviations. Why text when you can email or talk on an instant messenger for free?closing quote
Amy, 12, Woking

opening quoteI try not to text too much. I text when I have some interesting news or when it's urgent or something.closing quote
Hannah, 14, Dublin

opening quoteTo chat to my mates and catch up on all the gossip really. It's cheaper then chatting on the phone!closing quote
Hayley, 15, Oxford

opening quoteNowadays you can txt for loads of different reasons like entering competitions or for voting on reality TV shows like Big Brother and Pop Idol. I don't tend to txt my mates everyday coz u can talk to them for free on things like MSN.closing quote
Sara, 14, Bedfordshire

opening quoteI use it to plan arrangements, talk to my g/friend and have little conversations with my mates.closing quote
Alistair, 11, Nottingham

opening quoteI only text when I have to because I easily waste my credit when I text my friends!closing quote
Euan, 11, Newbury

opening quoteJust to plan meeting up with friends and my boyfriend. I don't use it for any of those silly things like forwards by text or anything!closing quote
Lorna, 15, Essex

opening quoteI text my best friend about the football. We both support Liverpool so we text each other as we watch the game if we score or something good happens.closing quote
Helen, 15, Liverpool

opening quoteI just txt cos I am bored and to hear some gossip.closing quote
Caitlin, 13, Hemel Hempstead

opening quoteI use it to talk really as I have a lot of mates from clubs I don't see very much. I also use it to tell my mates gossip as some of them are really slow on it all.closing quote
Sarah, 12, Manchester

opening quoteI just text my friends when I need to ask them something. I don't really text often as sometimes it just wastes your credit.closing quote
Maddy,1 4, Worthing

opening quoteMost of my texts are "Wot u up 2? Luv Hollie xxx" Or if someone is on the house phone then I'll text if something's happened at school or if I need help with homework!closing quote
Hollie, 14, Aberdeen

opening quoteI text about almost everything! It's great texting, because it's fun AND - if you can't reach someone at home, you're nearly 100% sure they've got their mobile on them!closing quote
Jagger,14, Denmark

opening quoteI don't. But if I had a mobi, I'd text my mum to tell her where I am and all that or my mates to invite 'em round, and so on and so on...closing quote
Sian, 12, Leicester

opening quoteI use it for anything. I like to just say hi and chat, but it's good for checking arrangements or homework, and quicker than phoning!closing quote
Jess, 14, Halesowen

opening quoteI text my mates to get the gossip but I text my brother as well to see if he's okay - he's at university so I don't see him that often!closing quote
Helen, 15, Birmingham

opening quoteI txt mostly when I'm bored, a money wasting thing to do, but hey!closing quote
Kate, 13, Aylesbury

opening quoteI text about anything and everything. It's a good way of keeping in contact with mates while you are in different places.closing quote
Elizabeth, 14, Abingdon

opening quoteI just text to say hello mostly. But if I'm excited about something - like when I found out they're making another Pirates of the Caribbean film - I'll txt everyone I know!!!closing quote
Kymberly, 15, Southampton

opening quoteI reckon that texts are a good way to chat with someone your not going to see that day or just to sees what's happening with your matesclosing quote
Becky, 10, Runcorn

opening quoteI just text my friends to see how they're doing and if they want to meet up, I also have a friend in Devon and texting is a good way for us to keep in contact.closing quote
Imogen, 13, Isle of Wight

opening quoteI do all of the above! It's a great way to greet people on special occasions as well as just catch up with mates.closing quote
Penny, 13, Milton Keynes

More InfoBORDER=0
Find OutMobile Phones
ChatShould your texts stay private?
VoteHow many txts do u send?
QuizMobile phone safety
QuizText messaging

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Teens text more than they talk
Home phones get text message go ahead
Children welcome text bullying crackdown
Txting heads for 1 billion a day
Should your texts stay private?

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club