Sci/Tech
 Weather
 Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Should we welcome George Bush to the UK?
Updated 24 November 2003, 17.00
George Bush
George Bush is in Britain on an official three day state visit.

How do you feel about his trip?

Are you are worried about the security issue and the problems his visit might cause?

Or do you think it is a good opportunity for this country to express what we think?

Perhaps there is something you would like to say to him if you came face to face.

Or maybe you are not bothered about it and can't understand all the fuss.

Whatever you think, we'd like to hear from you.

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI think all you people should get over it! He'll be there for 3 days and will be gone before you know it!closing quote
Brianna, 11 USA

opening quoteI don't particularly like George Bush but I don't feel that I know enough about politics and such to say that he shouldn't be coming here. It really annoys me how people will say that he's an idiot, that he hasn't done the right thing, when really they don't know anything about politics.closing quote
Hannah, 15, Birmingham

opening quoteNo, I don't think we should welcome Bush. It was his fault we went to war in the first place. He is just a big bully.closing quote
Nicole, 13, Glasgow

opening quoteI can't believe the cheek he has, deciding to use us as a publicity stunt for his re-election. He supports the illegal occupation in Israel, he bombs middle-eastern countries for their oil, he refuses to help stop global warming...why exactly should we welcome him? I, for one, went on the protests in London, so maybe he'll get the messaage they we're not as gullible as the few people back home who voted him in.closing quote
Lianne, 16, Harrow

opening quoteI am one of the kids who met George Bush on Friday and went to see him as part of our Citizenship lessons. We were waving to him and he called us down, shook his hand and talked to him. We were surrounded by security, it was scary.The President and Prime Minister were very friendly. His press secretary gave us pictures of his dog. It was great!closing quote
Kirsty, 15, Bishops Aukland

opening quoteI think Blair is stupid spending 5 million pounds on Bush's security, it could have been used to help people in Iraq or other places that need help.closing quote
Nayema, 11, London

opening quoteHim actually being here is ok but all the things that he's brought and asking is silly. I mean 5 million pounds spent just on him...that money could be put into this counrty for a use, to improve.closing quote
Clare, 15, Clevedon

opening quoteI don't see why he can't come in to London he is a good man and I do not see what the fuss is all about. It was good that we went to war otherwise these tragic things will still be going on.closing quote
Leon, 11, Borehamwood

opening quoteI think spending the money on security is better than something bad happening to him. Americans would hate us if Bush got killed while visiting Buckingham Palace just because we didn't want to pay to protect himclosing quote
Scarlett, 12, Hove

opening quoteI think it's a bit mad the way one man can have such a big effect on everyone. I don't think George Bush's visit to the UK was a great idea because there was obviously gonna be a bit of uproar, but I think people are letting it get to them too much.closing quote
Brid, 14, Dublin

opening quoteGeorge Bush started a war in Iraq and has also tried to put things right. If he left the Iraqis, people would complain and when he helps them people complain. You do not honestly think that he seriously wanted to kill innocent Iraqis and wage war on their country for no other reason than for sport? I think not!closing quote
Mark, 15, Rochdale

opening quoteBy inviting Bush to stay at Buckingham Palace on a State Visit (The first of a US President in 85 years), Blair is showing that he has no problem with a man who refused to sign the Kyoto Treaty, who backs Israel, who lied about weapons of mass destruction and who holds suspected terrorists indefinitely without trial. (Amongst other things of course.) We need to show the President that we, the people of the UK, DON'T agree!closing quote
Em, 15, Wiltshire

opening quoteBush was invited by the Queen to come to Britain, it would have been very offensive for him to turn down the invitation so people should stop telling him to go back to his own country. It doesn't matter if you agree with his decisions or not, it's better that Bush listens to the UK than if he doesn't.closing quote
Hannah, 15, Salisbury

opening quoteI am definitely not welcoming Bush. The sooner he is out of here the better. I think that he should apologise to the world for all he has put us through.closing quote
Rosie, 13, Lancashire

opening quoteI do not like him - like all politicians, he is a liar and he took us to a war with a lie. Why should we welcome him?closing quote
Fabietto, 11, Edinburgh

opening quoteI think it is great that Bush is coming to the UK! I think it is great that our country is so friendly with his country!closing quote
Lisa, 13, Aberdeen

opening quoteI think that Mr Bush should stay in the US, because it's obvious that some people in the UK aren't happy about what he has done and are going to make themselves heard by protesting, so Mr Bush, head back to your won country and leave ours alone!closing quote
Daz,14, Birmingham

opening quoteI don't think he should visit, lots of British soldiers were killed in the war.closing quote
Matthew, 14, Liverpool

opening quoteI think we should welcome the president and show him some good old British hospitality.closing quote
Cherith, 15, Craigavon

opening quoteI don't mind. I think it is probably good he is coming to the UK, he will discuss the war etc. The Americans gave Tony Blair a warm welcoming - should we be so disrespectful to protest against him? I agree with the war.closing quote
Amber, 12, Cheshunt

opening quoteBush was invited to the UK, so it's unfair that people think he shouldn't be allowed here. Protestors can protest all they like but I'm pretty sure it's not going to stop him staying here.closing quote
Anna, 12, Cardiff

opening quoteNo! He's a complete wally, imagine demading that the Queen make her palace more safe just because he's coming? I'm glad she said no, honestly he thinks he's royalty! I think he is a danger to the rest of the world, he has caused nothing but death and destruction since he came into office - he is not a good president. I mean, look at all the security he has got, and he is flying more security in with him! He obviously knows he is not liked, and what he has done has annoyed people otherwise he wouldn't need them.closing quote
Liz, 14, Cardiff

opening quoteNo we shouldn't after what he's doing. He's not welcome.closing quote
Yaman, 13, Leeds

opening quoteI really feel that it's about time the UK allied itself with our older and more cultured European friends instead of sucking up to a country of ignorance such as the USA. who's own record on human rights is questionable. That's not even counting their enviromental policies which are shameful.closing quote
Anthony, 14, London

opening quoteI believe that Bush definitely shouldn't have come. His visit is just going to cause conflict.closing quote
Joe, 10, Cottenham

opening quoteI hate the people protesting. They have got nothing better to do and it won't make a bit of difference!closing quote
PJ, 13, Hednesford

opening quoteI feel that Bush should just get over the fact that he is disliked more than he is liked. He really should stop trying to impress people. I mean, I once asked a bully why he was hurting everyone and he said "Bush does it". When that is the reason kids are fighting it makes me want to cry. Also, just so you know it's not that I don't like the Americans, I just don't like him. Bush, you are compromising the voices of your country.closing quote
Lemia, 13, Liverpool

opening quoteBad move. I mean, he and Tony Blair must know how we feel about them both at the moment!closing quote
Andy, 13, Chelmsford

opening quoteI don't agree with war and don't want the UK to send the message that we think war is OK. He should not be made welcome.closing quote
Ashok, 13, Chester

opening quoteI hate Bush, he should not have come here. He has destroyed England, he made our army suffer for what he hasn't got, what he wants, and now he wants to say sorry for what he has made us go through. I hope he gets the message that we don't want his pity.closing quote
Alex, 12, Addiscombe

opening quoteWho cares if he comes or not. It is up to him what he does. I don't exactly like Bush but I'm sure he did what he thought was right. He can't be that bad a person otherwise he wouldn't be the president of the USA. I think that the people who are protesting are stupid! We aren't going to stop him no matter what we do and put it this way, he will see how much people hate him and he will not come over as often!closing quote
Melissa, 13, Southend

opening quotePresident Bush's visit to Britain is a complete publicity stunt so that he can win his election next year. I hope he has an unpleasant stay here.closing quote
Kourosh, 13, Reading

opening quoteI think he has a right to come here and I know that everyone thinks that he went to war for nothing but it was to see if they had weapons and I think he should be welcomed not booed atclosing quote
Kim, 11, Newport

opening quoteYou should welcome everyone even if you don't appreciate what he has or hasn't done. People have different perspectives.closing quote
Natalie, 13, Canada

opening quoteIn a way I think its good that he's coming because it might make him realise how much he is hated all over the world. If I lived there I would be protesting hard out, so please do some for me. Plus, why does he think he needs 400 bodygards? It's ridiculous. I mean sure, I can understand why he'd think people would try to attack him (with good cause) but 400 is WAY overdoing it. It just proves how highly he values his own life - way more than thousands of Iraqi's put together. closing quote
Annie, 14, Wellington, Australia

opening quoteI think we should respect Bush and welcome him into our country. He is a good leader and didn't go to Iraq to bomb people, he went to liberate the people, so they could be free like us. I say, "Welcome to the United Kingdom, President Bush!"closing quote
Libby, 14, London

opening quoteI don't really mind too much but would appreciate it if people don't go over the top.closing quote
Uzy, 10, Stoke

opening quoteI think two ways: Bush shouldn't make the UK pay so much money for him, but he may help enhance culture by showing new things- allies may be formed for peace! However, what I am mainly worried about are all these negative "GO BACK TO THE US" comments. I love both the US and UK, so I am worried of too much friction and anti-foreigners. I hope everything turns out well and harmoniously. closing quote
Alexandra, 13, US

opening quoteI think it's cool!! The president of the free world coming to UK!closing quote
Kristen, 11, UK

opening quoteEveryone in America seems to think he is some sort of hero. I don't share that opinion. Nearly half London's police force has been brought on duty, when serious crimes could be happening. It's so pointless, he doesn't deserve to be pampered so much, he's not important, and is really a very bad president. Most people don't want him here anyway. In all honesty I think Tony Blair just wants to be Bush's best bud.closing quote
Emily, 13, Kilmarnock

opening quoteI don't think he should come, he is costing us 5 00,000. I don't even think he is a good president because he ignored millions of his own people. As far as I am concerned he isn't even worthy of the title presidentclosing quote
Lucy, 10, Glasgow

opening quoteI don't see what all the fuss is about because. I just don't understand all dis' politics stuff!!! closing quote
Silvi, 10, Lymington

opening quoteI think that it is good of him to come here and show that there is a connection with the countries but I don't understand what he wants. closing quote
Riddhi, 15, Harrow

opening quoteI know the people in America treat him as a hero but I hope he won't get the same welcome in England - he doesn't deserve it.closing quote
Harriett, 12, Stratford Upon Avon

opening quoteI don't mind that he is coming, but what I do mind is that it is costing us a lot of money, money that would be better spent on Children in Need. Some things are just not fair.closing quote
Emma, 15, Cambridge

opening quoteI don't see what all the fuss is about - it is just a man called George coming to London to talk to a man called Tony but the only difference is that they are both in charge of 2 different countries. It's not like we've got anything to be scared of.closing quote
Ann-Marie, 12, Bulkington

opening quoteIf the UK doesn't welcome Bush that warmly, I don't think many Americans would care. It could make some greatly mad, but others have turned against the president. In some people's ideas Bush has caused us to go to the lowest position we have ever been in, they think that he entered war when it wasn't needed. But others think that Bush is great and is trying his best to help us. I think that he is trying his best but his best is kind of bringing us down. Anyway, what I am trying to say is that Britain should have no worries about how they treat him. Us Americans probably won't care. We probably didn't even know he was leaving the US.closing quote
Dana, 14, USA

opening quoteHow can they let a man like that come here? He shouldn't have any special arrangements. My school trip got cancelled because of him.closing quote
Sara-Eve, 12, London

opening quoteI am not bothered, I don't think we should protest because you as people will not get it through to him, you could be doing something better with your lives. Just let him come so they can get it over and done with. Let him just do what he has to do!closing quote
Cassie, 15, Nottingham

opening quoteThere is a lot of controversy over George Bush coming and loads of security because people are worried something might happen while he is here. It might not be such a good idea as lots of people in Britain are against him coming. It will be good to see what happens when he arrives, but I think Tony Blair has been to America and the Americans were very welcoming.closing quote
Sarah, 14, Bedfordshire

opening quoteWhat's the point of coming here? He wants suicide bombers to come over to our country does he, and kill hundreds of people? Go away!closing quote
Jenny, 14, Bristol

opening quoteI don't think it's safe, what if there is a terrorist attack now he is here? And why is it all over the news where he is staying? Wouldn't that make it easier for terrorists?closing quote
Katie, 14, Ipswich

opening quoteI think that it is a great offence that Tony Blair is letting George Bush into Britain when he knows that the war in Iraq was unfair.closing quote
Liam, 14, Fraserburgh

opening quoteI am very annoyed that he is coming. and coz of him we had to cancel a trip that would of helped us for our gcse. so he SOULD STAY IN THE USA.closing quote
Lisa, 15, Basingstoke

opening quoteI am really, really annoyed that a man like Bush should be allowed to come here and expect special treatment. I will be attending the protest and I hope that he gets the message that he is not welcome in Britain now and never will be.closing quote
Sarah, 12, London

opening quoteI don't want him to come here, he has caused enough trouble for people and will be causing more trouble when he comes here. I don't think he will ever listen to the protestors. If I didn't have to go to school I would be in London to protest!closing quote
Rabiya, 13, Gloucester

opening quoteI'm not that bothered that Bush is coming, even though anything I say to his face would have to be censored - but has anyone thought that while all the British police are looking after Bush, there's no one left to protect the rest of England? Straight after there's been a warning about a terrorist attack?closing quote
Emma, 12, Reading

opening quoteI don't really mind. We are not going to stop him, protests or not.closing quote
Ellie, 13, Loughborough

opening quoteI think he's just coming here because he wants to get a photo with the Queen so that when the US elections come he can go round the country showing everybody the photo and telling them that if he is president than Britain will help them if they are in trouble. I hate Bush more and more everyday and I sincerely hope his stay in London will not be pleasant and that he is not voted president again!closing quote
Zuzia, 12, Barby

opening quoteI don't want him in our country - and I hope the protestors will make him see how much he is hated over here! closing quote
Bethany, 14, Suffolk

opening quoteI think that the moment he arrives here he should be arrested on suspicion of serial murders.closing quote
Judith, 13, Barrow Upon Humber

opening quoteI don't really mind. Treat other people how you want to be treated. We should not treat him horribly because he might like us. I think the person climbing on the gates of Buckingham Palace is a total idiot. She doesn't get the message that Bush is coming and she can't stop him.closing quote
Nowrin, 10, Nottingham

opening quoteI'm annoyed he is coming to the UK. I don't want him to think he is welcome here but I'm sure he'll get the message!closing quote
Joseph, 13, Manchester

More InfoBORDER=0
Find OutWhat's happening in Iraq?
ChatDid you march against war?
Club'President Bush wrote to me!'

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Granny beats Bush visit security
Bush getting ready for UK visit
Blair: World will forgive Iraq war
More attacks on US soldiers in Iraq

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club