Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Do we still need lollipop people?
Updated 14 November 2003, 11.45
lollipop man
It's 50 years since the first lollipop people took to the streets, and statistics prove they've really made roads safer for you.

If you walk to school you'll probably rely on a lollipop person to get you to there and back safely.

But as more and more of you get driven to school, maybe you think there's less need for them?

Or maybe you live in an area where they're essential - or even somewhere that doesn't use any?

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI think that no matter how old you are people still need lollipop men or women. Where I live we have no one to help us, not even a crossing. The only thing they have done is speed bumps but they have not made much difference.closing quote
Fay, 13, Snipston-on-Stour

opening quoteYeah definitely! The road where I cross is a main road and can be dangerous. I've known my lollipop man for ten years since I started school!closing quote
Jenny, 14, Bristol

opening quoteLollipop ladies/men are always needed. They are tradition, I cannot remember my primary school days without one. Not only do they make the children feel safer but I am sure it makes the parents feel a bit happier knowing that when their kids walk to school they are crossing the road safely. Also, lollipop people brighten up the day with their bright yellow coats and their big happy grin!!!closing quote
Abigail, 15, Loughborough

opening quoteI think it is very good to have a lollipop lady. When I was in primary school we always had one. But what if the lollipop lady gets knocked down stopping cars?closing quote
Elycia, 12, Stevenage

opening quoteI think that if people know how to cross the road they do not need lollipop ladies.closing quote
Sophia, 12, Plymouth

opening quoteI think that lollipop ladies are good because they help children cross the road safely and people driving should accept that children need help to cross the road.closing quote
Liam, 11, Oxford

opening quoteWe have a lollipop lady at our school and she has helped loads with the road safety! She's kept many kids from being injured. I think that they should DEFINITLEY keep lollipop people. closing quote
Anna, 13, Manchester

opening quoteThe lollipop man in my area has been a lollipop man for decades. He was there when I started nursery school and watched me grow and now I'm 15 and half!! I still see him every morning and after school. I will get him a present when I finish school (if he is still around in 3 years!)closing quote
Intisar, 15, London

opening quoteMy school has a primary school right next door, and they have a lollipop lady. We also use her and it's very helpful as the road which our schools are on is a very big main road. She's stopped loads of kids from being knocked down. Three cheers for the lollipop lady!closing quote
Amy, 14, Thamesmead

opening quoteLollipop people help and our school one, Jane, is real friendly. Please keep them!closing quote
Joanna, 11, Edinburgh

opening quoteI think lollipop men and lollipop women are very important because they put their lives at risk for us. Our school's lollipop lady is called Sylvia and she is very nice.closing quote
Sammy, 10, Stoke-on-Trent

opening quoteMy school has a lollipop man and I think it is very handy because it keeps all the kids safe - but I don't cross with him because I live quite far away from school. closing quote
Catherine, 9, Bangor

opening quoteLollipop people rock. They are soooooo cool and should never change their jackets.closing quote
Yvon, 14, St. Neots

opening quoteI think we need more.closing quote
Sarah, 13, Derry

opening quoteI used to love our old lollipop lady and I rekcon they're nice to chat to and stuff. Lollipop ladies and men are like tradition aren't they?closing quote
Shaly, 13, Essex

opening quoteYes I do think that they are needed . One day outside our school the lollipop lady was not there and a boy got knocked down - he was not killed luckily enough.closing quote
Nichole, 13, Glasgow

opening quoteI think we still need lollipop ladies because they stop silly kids running into the road and getting hit by cars, especially near schools.closing quote
Lauren, 11, Worester

opening quoteAt the school I currently go to we don't have or need lollipop people, but I see them every morning working their magic at loads of other schools. They are great! So many children would be stuck at the other side of the road at three o'clock if they were not there. Thank you so much!closing quote
Ryan, 14, Enniskillen

opening quoteI don't really use them now but I live near a primary school that has one. The children (and their mothers) use the lollipop lady everyday to cross the busy main street outside the school. Long live the next 50 years.closing quote
Sarah, 14, Birmingham

opening quoteWe don't actually have any lollipop people, we have school patrols that help us cross streets. Either way, I think the job is important.closing quote
Kristen, 11, St. Joe

opening quoteOver here we don't have lollipop people but we need some because at my old school, the streets are really dangerous and drivers are crazy these days. Also, lollipop people sound like a good addition to the community. Plus the name is so cute!closing quote
Tina, 15, USA

opening quoteYes definitely! I used to have one at my old primary school and she was really nice but she left and my school didn't replace her so I was very disappointed and I don't have one at my secondary school.closing quote
Euan, 11, Newbury

opening quoteMy school's lollipop people are the teachers. I think they are important as they help us to cross the road safely.closing quote
Sasha, 10, Singapore

opening quoteI think lollipop men/women should be at every main or dangerous road and school crossing.closing quote
Richard, 12, Northampton

opening quoteDefinitely. My sister is a lollipop lady and even met the Queen because of all her hard work. She even stays late if a parent is late!closing quote
Hannah, 13, Birmingham

opening quoteWe don't have one even though we really need one because the road next to our school is extremley dangerous and kids that are aged 9 or 10 cross it.closing quote
Katie, 14, Dorset

opening quoteYes we do still need them! Just think off all the extra accidents that would happen without them - as if it isn't bad enough! In my town we really need a lollipop person to help people cross a really annoying bend in the road. Don't axe the lollipop people!closing quote
Vikki, 12, Oxfordshire

opening quoteI think we should still have lollipop people as there has been a massive de-crease on the number of children that have died crossing roads and they are still saving lives.closing quote
Emma, 9, Chesham

opening quoteI think they do a wonderful job, but I just don't think kids nowadays need them. More get driven to school and loads of others just ignore them.closing quote
Hazel, 12,Cambridge

opening quoteDefinitely. Some people don't know how to cross the road and then they look at drivers as if they are idiots.closing quote
Clare, 14, London

opening quoteYes definitely! The roads around schools are always really busy! I wouldn't feel safe without one!closing quote
Halesowen

opening quoteWe've got one called Pearl and she's great! She even gives us all Christmas cards! I think lollipop people are great!closing quote
Sara, 10, Edinburgh

opening quoteI think that we still need lollipop men or women where I live we not have lolliop men or women but I think that we still need them. They save loads of children life.closing quote
Fay, 13, Shipston-on-Stour

opening quoteThe school near where I live has a lollipop person because there are small children but I still think that there should be lollipop people at every school crossing for safety.closing quote
Gemma, 12, Chatham

opening quoteYes, I have to cross a really busy road to get into school and someone got run over once, so lollipop people are good.closing quote
Sophie, 11, Gosport

opening quoteCourse we do! They help us cross the road safely! My old lollipop woman was great! Lollipop people ROCK!closing quote
Charlotte, 12, York

opening quoteYes! They help, they're friendly and they're none existent where I live.closing quote
Sian ,12, Leicester

opening quoteThe opinion of the majority of my peers is that people our age do not need lollipop men/women. I agree, but I think that they should stay around for the safety of the younger children. I really appreciated them when I was in primary school, so I think that they're brilliant people for caring for the younger community.closing quote
Jim, 14, Derby

opening quoteI have to walk across a main road so it is essential there are people there to protect us.closing quote
Jamie, 12, Birmingham

opening quoteI think that lollipop people are great. They make children feel safe crossing the road, they are also very friendly !! closing quote
Celia, 11, Kew

opening quoteI think we should keep lollipop people because they control the traffic more and if we got rid of them it would probably increase the number of accidents on the road.closing quote
Ruth, 11, Barnsley

opening quoteOkay, I've got a confession to make. I have a lollipop lady on the way up to my High School, but I don't use her, and cross further up the road, because I think it's 'uncool' to be seen crossing with a lollipop person.closing quote
Andy, 13, Glasgow

opening quoteWe don't have a lollipop person but I think we should have one.closing quote
Alex, 10, Surrey

opening quoteI think we do need lollipop people because they help us to cross the road more safely. My granny is the lollipop lady for my school and she's fab!closing quote
Gemma, 11, Stranraer

opening quoteWe should, because the roads ae getting more busy and therefore more dangerous, and we need more people to help us get around safely.closing quote
Alexandra, 14, Surrey

opening quoteI walk to school so I know how important they are. Ours is called Fred and he's been with us for 5 years. He's like one of our school!closing quote
Joe, 10, St. Albans

More InfoBORDER=0
Chatchat about school stuff
Club'Even the lollipop lady knows your business!'

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
50th birthday for lollipop people
Bosses ban lollipop lady's fave hat
Is this the end of lollipop people?

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club