Sci/Tech
 Weather
 Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Is the Wigton Easter curfew a good idea?
Updated 06 April 2004, 18.33
Two kids in an alley, they could get sent home by police
Kids living in a town in Cumbria are going to be enjoying quiet nights in during the Easter holidays, because they're going to be banned from going out!

Police have put a 9pm curfew into place, and during the holidays anyone under the age of 16 on the streets between 9pm and 6am will be taken home.

Do you think it's a good idea?

Is it unfair to take away kids freedom, or should they be at home at that time of night anyway?

Whatever you think, we want to know about it.

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI think that it is not fair! The parents give their children a curfew not police. The club I go to finishes at 9 o'clock and it takes me half an hour to get home! My mum thinks that the police are taking it a bit too far.closing quote
Jemma, 14, Cumbria

opening quoteI don't think it is fair in one way because with it being the Easter holidays you should be to stay out a little bit later than usual. The scheme should only be used on school nights when kids have to go to school the next day.closing quote
Ashleigh, 12, Hebburn

opening quoteI think it is silly because people go to friends houses and sometimes walk home late. Also if you are public transport the bus or train might be late.closing quote
Nicola, 11, Wallington

opening quoteHow stupid can the law get. I don't go out late but many do. People will break out to be cool. The police will have even more trouble.closing quote
Rachael, 13, Fife

opening quoteI think it's a GREAT idea! Most nights I have to sit here and hear big groups of people swear at the top of their voices and it is SO irritating! I think they should put a curfew in all of London defiantly!closing quote
Kat, 13, London

opening quoteEr, when are the police gonna stop interfering with our private lives? If we want to be out after 9pm, and we're not causing any trouble, then they have NO right to take us home!closing quote
Jennifer, 10, Essex

opening quoteCurfews are a good idea because it stops people misbehaving and keeps everyone safe.closing quote
Hannah, 14, Sheffield

opening quoteI think giving people curfews might just encourage them to break it, coz they might think it would make them cool.closing quote
Sarah, 14, London

opening quoteIT'S EXTREMELY STUPID!!! You can't have fun on school nights and going out is what holidays are for!!!closing quote
Lucy, 11, Belgium

opening quoteI think this law is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. I understand if large gangs are breaking the law, the police should split them up, but not every group of three or more kids hanging around together are actually doing anything wrong. They're just punishing innocent people.closing quote
Liz, 13, London

opening quoteKids should be able to hang about the streets as long as there is no trouble from them. I do hang round in a big group but we don't cause trouble. If a kid is out after nine pm and the parents say it is ok then the police will have to listen to that or the parents are not going to like it if their child is being taken home by the police for being out after nine pm. I do not think this law will stop youth of today hanging round in big groups and after nine pm.closing quote
Dione, 14, Manchester

opening quoteI think they should leave us alone and let us do what we want in our own time, I mean sure it's dangerous times but if we have our wits about us and act smart then we should be fine. I hang out with my mates at night but cause no trouble so if this law was enforced it would be totally unfair!!! closing quote
Gemma, 14, Wallasey

opening quoteI'm not overall that worried because when I go out I don't cause trouble and stay close to home.closing quote
Isabelle, 14, Birmingham

opening quoteI think the new laws are stupid. I agree large groups of teenagers hanging on the streets can be intimidating for the public but taking them home after nine o'clock is unfair. Not all kids that are out are causing trouble. I agree if large groups of kids are hanging around and upsetting the public they should be moved on but that's it and they certainly shouldn't be taken home. Most kids would just go out again and often parents would prefer if their kids were out anyway so they are not going to stop them. It's just unfair and a waste of police time!! closing quote
Lucy, 14, Isle of Wight

opening quoteIt's a bit scary when you walk down a street and you can see a big gang hanging around because you don't no what they are going to do.closing quote
Sarah, 14, Birmingham

opening quoteI think it really unfair! Us kids nowadays never have any fun and I agree with some of the others that we are already banned from loads of stuff. As long as they don't seem to be making any trouble.closing quote
Steph, 13, Burnley

opening quoteI think this law is a good one. Many kids are out on the streets late at night. They often do things like vandalising areas and bullying other children.closing quote
Saz, 10, Winchester

opening quoteI think people can be quite intimidating and I keep my head down when I walk past people like that so as not to give them a reason to harm me. Though a couple of times on my way to school I have had abuse hurled at me for absolutely no reason at all. closing quote
Amelie, 11, West Midlands

opening quoteI think children age 8-10 should be taken home at 8:30pm if still out, and children age 10-14 should be taken home at 9:30 if they are still out, and age 14-16 should be taken home at 10:30 if they are still out. But I think it's a good thing the police are doing that as it would stop a lot of violence between children!closing quote
Lucy, 12, Exmouth

opening quoteI think kids should be allowed to hang around if they are near their home and their parents know. I don't think it is right sending them home because they could have a hard time at home and that's why they are out!closing quote
Jennifer, 12, Glasgow

opening quoteI agree with the law completely, and I think it is the most magnificent thing that has ever happened in the history of parliament! I completely agree with the law.closing quote
Matthew, 15, Birmingham

opening quoteTeenagers are going to hang around the streets no matter what.closing quote
Jemma, 12, Houston

opening quoteDefine hanging around... is walking to the local shop with 3 of your mates "hanging around"?closing quote
Emma, 15, Sheffield

opening quoteI think kids should be able to hang out especially if they are doing nothing wrong. A lot of teenagers usually hang out after 9pm and that's a stupid curfew time. Also in the big cities i.e. London, Glasgow, it may be safer for kids to hang out in groups instead of pairs.closing quote
Mark, 11, Milton Keynes

opening quoteI think kids should be allowed to hang around as long as they aren't causing or getting into any trouble, then I don't see the problem!closing quote
Emma, 13, Herts

opening quoteSure some gangs at night are violent but that doesn't mean everyone is. This rule is really unfair there are already too many safety rules around and kids can't just enjoy themselves. Definitely not.closing quote
Lara, 13, Birmingham

opening quoteI think it's a good idea, we have a lot of problems here with gangs but the police can't do much so if they have these powers it might help solve a lot of these problems.closing quote
Paul, 15, Glasgow

opening quoteMe and my mates have never hung about on street corners, when we're together we either go to a restaurant or walk around. What's the point in just standing and getting cold? I think that as long as the police don't abuse this new power, it'll make people feel safer and only a few kids will get ticked off.closing quote
Joey, 15

opening quoteOnce again, its the "bad" people spoiling it for everyone else. Taking you home after 9pm if you're without an adult is also pathetic, aren't teenagers simply allowed to "be" ???closing quote
Lou, 15, Norwich

opening quoteWhen I go into town I will go into shops with my mates and then we will just sit down and hang out we aren't doing any harm but people seem to think we are. I think people are to quick to judge we haven't got anything better to do where I live. closing quote
Abbie, 13, Oxfordshire

opening quoteForty years ago, adults would have thought nothing about children and teenagers playing/ chilling out in the street on their own. Now, with all the publicity on child abductions, drug abuse, alcoholism, gun crime etc, we know longer really have our freedom even though it is only a few people who are seriously affected by these things.closing quote
Clare, 14, Essex

opening quoteI think kids should be allowed to hang out but only if they're not breaking the law like smoking or shouting abuse and intimidating peopleclosing quote
Jenny, 14, Bristol

opening quoteWhat else can kids do apart from hang around? Kids only hang around because there is nothing else to do. But there are teenagers who hang around and drink alcohol which is wrong.closing quote
Karen, 14, Belfast

opening quoteWhere else can we go? I mean in my area we don't have much to do.closing quote
Lauren, 11, Glasgow

opening quoteI think they should be allowed if there not causing any trouble but if they are causing trouble they should be sent home. closing quote
Annie, 11, Redditch

opening quoteI think people should be allowed to hang out. Especially if they aren't doing nothing wrong. Leave them alone. There are so many stereotypes that c a group of young teenagers and automatically think they r doing something wrong. I h8 when my parents do it. Leave us alone! I think the police should patrol the streets in three's if they r that afraid and only arrest, caution and fine people for actual crimes, not just 4 hanging on the street comer when there is nothing else 2 do.closing quote
Covie, 13, Birmingham

opening quoteOf course we should be able to hang around at our favourite places. If we're not gonna be allowed, I think we will be forced 2 have a life of staying in all the time because our parents are scared of what might happen because of all the bad reports going out on the news! When the truth is it's not all that bad! closing quote
Laura, 14, Rochdale

opening quoteI think we should be allowed to hang around as long as our parents give us a curfew and know where we are.closing quote
Sinead, 12, Ireland

opening quoteI agree with Rose from London I don't like walking past a group of teenage boys. My friend lives in a rough part and I don't like going down there as there are council houses and boys smoking, so I don't think people should hang out, except people who aren't horrible, like the people that spray-paint things.closing quote
Hannah, 11, Hailsham

opening quoteI think that will cause more kids trouble than just leaving the subject alone!closing quote
Addie, 14, USA

opening quoteI think we should be allowed to hang around corners. After school or before cadets, there isn't much else to do.closing quote
Merrie, 12, Tenby

opening quotePart of being a kid is sitting around and doing nothing and chilling with friends.closing quote
Shaly , 13, Essex

opening quoteI think it's a total waste of time for the government. If kids like to hang out, then they should let them.closing quote
Saffi, 13, Loughborough

opening quoteI hang around by my house but I don't like people who hang around by shops on the corner of roads. It's just silly.closing quote
Gemma, 14, Liverpool

opening quoteOf course we should be allowed, because only a very small number of us are trouble makers. closing quote
Jess, 12, Dorset

opening quoteI agree with the law if there is evidence that group of kids hassle anyone. But otherwise it's silly. closing quote
Hazel, 12, Cambridge

opening quoteWhy make the majority suffer for what the minority do? Since when has it been illegal to hang around. closing quote
Toby, 13, Warrington

opening quoteWhat if a kid wants to buy spray paint for an art project, hmm? In my opinion, kids should be able to hang around corners. closing quote
Katherine, 12, USA

opening quoteIt's kinda scary when walking and you see a group of teenagers. They make you feel really uncomfortable and threatened even if you know one of them. closing quote
Rose, 15, London

opening quoteIt's not fair, cos I think kids should have the right to hang out at any place. closing quote
Brandon, 11, USA

opening quoteI get scared walking past groups of kids hanging around. You always think they're going to throw stuff or shout abuse at you. closing quote
Charlie, 14, Chester

opening quoteLot of kids hang around and get involved in crime. I think there should be some sort of curfew introduced by the government. closing quote
Asif, 15, Keighley

opening quoteThat is just a silly law, what do people think you are doing when you go shopping with your mates? You are "hanging around"! closing quote
Sophie, 15, Newcastle

opening quoteI think that it's a really silly rule because everybody likes to hang about and I always meet up with my friends. closing quote
Becky, 12, Gloucester

opening quoteKids near my house set off fireworks in a phone box and kicked the phone until it broke. Where's the fun in that? closing quote
Laura, 13, Rotherham

opening quoteSure kids should be allowed to "hang around!" Loads of kids do it, because it's a place to meet up with mates. It don't mean they are up to no good. closing quote
Ria, 15, Staines

opening quoteI can understand why adults don't like teenagers hanging around because they may look suspicious, but most of us aren't hanging around to cause trouble, we just want to hang with our friends. closing quote
Cara, 15, Reading

opening quoteLots of teenagers 'hang around' and they think it's cool but it's not. I think that teens should be at home before 9.30 pm. closing quote
Stuart, 13, Halifax

opening quoteI'm worried that if they make it a crime to hang around or buy spray paint, then more kids will do it because of the thrill that it's illegal.closing quote
Robert, 14, Bradford

More InfoBORDER=0
Find OutWhat the new law would mean
ClubWrite your report
ClubI think the government has got it wrong

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
New laws target anti-social kids
City terrorised by teenage girl
Kids think curfew laws aren't fair
Court punishes tearaway brothers
Behaviour laws 'would unfairly punish kids'

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club