Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Do you think manners are important?
Updated 02 September 2003, 11.28
Gross
Friday is National Good Manners day. So you'd all better mind your Ps & Qs.

Are manners important? If you meet someone with bad manners, do you think less of them?

Do you get fed up with your parents always telling you off about your behaviour?

Come on, let us know what you think, but don't SHOUT.

opening quoteManners are very important. They show that someone has been brought up well and that they can behave. Having manners show the type of person that you are! closing quote
Stephanie, 14, Shropshire

opening quoteI think manners are important and every family should teach their children some manners. closing quote
Melanie, 13, London

opening quoteI think the only time you should really use manners is when you want to make a good impression like meeting your boyfriend's mum and dad! closing quote
Abbie, 13, Oxfordshire

opening quoteI think some manners are a bit silly like don't have your elbows on the table. But I hate it when my best mate swears in front of me! closing quote
Josie, 10, Southend

opening quoteAt the table you need manners otherwise you put everyone off their food! closing quote
Nuala, 13, N. Ireland

opening quoteI don't think manners are that important. I suppose I should use them, but I don't really use them. closing quote
Karen, 14, Edinburgh

opening quoteI think it's very important because if you come up to someone and that person is eating with his or her mouth open that person is most likely to get food on you and it's nasty. closing quote
Holly, 10, Connellsville

opening quoteI must admit that manners are important but to tell the truth I've never really used them. closing quote
Michelle, 14, Oxfordshire

opening quoteI'm always telling my little brother to watch his manners. He listens, but soon forgets, because his friends have no manners. I think this is a shame, but maybe it's a phase all eight-year-olds go through. closing quote
Becsi, 14, Hertfordshire

opening quoteI think they are important as it's polite to say please and thank you to people. closing quote
Hannah, 11, Hailsham

opening quoteI think manners are important coz it shows how good or bad a job your parents have done. closing quote
Kerri, 14, Cornwall

opening quoteI live in the South, so we have are good manners and if you don't then no one will respect you so I think you should have good manners. closing quote
Charlotte, 12, USA

opening quoteManners are important. We have got to make up for all the rude people in the world. If we are rude then our kids will grow up rude as well. closing quote
Jenny, 14, Bristol

opening quoteI think manners are very important coz it annoys me if people don't say please and thanks. But everyone forgets them once in a while and that doesn't really matter.closing quote
Anna, 14, Edinburgh

opening quoteI think people should remember their manners but I tend to forget them once in a while! Oh yeah, and I hate it when people pick their noses!closing quote
Anna, 11, Sutton

opening quoteWhen you're a nice restaurant, I always try to have better manners than I have at home. Everyone should have manners to some extent!closing quote
Bridget, USA

opening quoteI think some people go too far with manners. My Grandma was moaning when we went on holiday that in the olden days people weren't allowed down to evening dinner at hotels in tee-shirts and casual clothes. They had to dress up. I think that's stupid! But I am quite polite and I hate rude people.closing quote
Rebecca, 14, Coalville

opening quoteI don't really care if people have manners or not, I can't eat with a knife and fork properly because I'm left handed and I don' find it easy to remember my manners, and I hate sexist people who go "you're a girl, you shouldn't act like that". It's like someone whose posted on this, they go 'I hate it when my friend does really loud burps in public, and she's a girl!' That is been sexist!!!!!!!!!closing quote
Sinead, 13, Lincoln

opening quoteManners are quite important, but they're not everything! People can have bad manners but be really nice people yet others could be horrid people with excellent manners.closing quote
Tesni, 13, Bath

opening quoteI think that manners are very important although I must admit some of them are weird.closing quote
Sumaya, 11, London

opening quoteI'm not really picky about manners, but they are definitely important for making a first impression! I don't mind elbows or hats at the table, but please don't pick your nose or act like a barbarian when eating! Yuck!closing quote
Rebecca, 16, USA

opening quoteI hate it when my friend does really loud burps in public, and she's a girl!closing quote
Sarah, 13, Northern Ireland

opening quoteI don't see the point really. I hate the word manners because my mum is always like 'Freya! Mind your manners!' and 'What do you say?' and things like that and my form tutor is like 'You must always remember your manners, girls!' and thing like that. It really gets on my nerves! I scream at my dad all the time coz he's so rude. Maybe if he wasn't so rude I'd have better manners...closing quote
Freya, 12, Bristol

opening quoteEverybody needs manners! They are one of the most important aspects of life. It shows good upbringing and behaviour.closing quote
Steph, 14, Shrewsbury

opening quoteI think that manners are important for certain situations but think about how many times you use your manners with your mates?closing quote
Clare, 15, Clevedon

opening quoteManners don't cost anything. They mean loads, they can change how someone comes across.closing quote
Vicky, 14, Leicester

opening quoteOf course manners are important. I have excellent manners and it really helps you in life. It shows a good and strong upbringing. I don't look down on people who don't have manners because that's bad manners. closing quote
Jenny, 16, Derby

opening quoteI think many manners, are important and make sense, but I also think some of the manners are a bit extreme, such as the ones on how you set your table. But things like how you eat is common courtesy and I think they should be followed. closing quote
Shannon, 15, USA

opening quoteI hate it when students in school talk back to the teachers and argue with them. It's just a waste of time in the lesson. Trust me most of the students in my school are like that! closing quote
Aishah, 13, Leicester

opening quoteI think that as children we should all have good manners. It shows that we have good up-bringing. closing quote
Aimee, 12, Johannesburg

opening quoteI think they're very important for later on in life. I use manners and everyone says what great manners I have. closing quote
Lydia, 13, Northampton

opening quoteI can't stand it when people leave their elbows on the table. I just want to shout at them. closing quote
Ryan, 14, Berkshire

opening quoteI think less of a person with bad manners, although I admit some of the rules have got a little old fashioned. But if we didn't have rules or manners, what would become of society? closing quote
Amy, 11, Gainsborough

opening quoteI hate it when someone is rude to me. closing quote
Alex, 12, Stoke-On-Trent

opening quoteI think manners are important, but I hate it when I hang around with my friends and use them. Just because they don't use manners and tell me off. closing quote
Vanessa, 13, Larkfield

opening quoteI think you have to use manners to a certain extent. Some are just silly, like having your drink on the right hand side of your plate, what if you are left handed? closing quote
Kate, 12, Aylesbury

opening quoteI hate it when my mum tells me off just for having my elbows on the table. Where else am I going to rest them!?closing quote
Charlotte, 13, Stoke

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

More InfoBORDER=0
QuizQuiz: test your good manners
ClubIt's grosstastic!

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Grossology science lessons create a stink

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club