Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Will scary pix stop people smoking?
Updated 04 August 2003, 19.08

Some people reckon that anti-smoking adverts on cigarette packets aren't working, and they should be scarier to make more people give up.

Would gross pictures of sick people and damaged lungs stop you from smoking?

Do you reckon people will carry on anyway because they're addicted?

opening quoteIt wouldn't make people stop because they'd just think "Oh it won't happen to me.." closing quote
Kim, 14, Guildford

opening quoteI think that the only way to stop smoking is to ban it. closing quote
Ella, 9, Richmond

opening quotePeople already know what smoking does to you inside but don't really see pictures of it so these pictures may make people think that they do not want to end up like that. closing quote
Sian, 12, Doncaster

opening quoteI agree with Keisha, but they could make some people quit if the pictures were really scary. closing quote
Sophie, 11, Gosport

opening quoteWe all know that smoking is bad but nothing is being seriously done to stop it, why not just stop making cigarettes? closing quote
Natalie, 13, Hemel Hempstead

opening quoteThe first thing I said when I saw these pictures was "YUCK!" that would DEFINITELY make me give up smoking. But then again, I'm squeamish, so it might not have any effect on someone else. closing quote
Caitlin, 10, Edinburgh

opening quoteIt might help a few people, but I doubt it will have a large effect on the number of smokers. closing quote
Matt, 15, New York

opening quoteThey might help decrease the number of people that smoke, but they won't help in stopping it. closing quote
Anjali, 12, Luton

opening quoteMy mum smokes and I don't think pictures will make her give up. The only way she would give up is to contract lung cancer herself. closing quote
Lucy, 15, Derby

opening quotePeople who smoke know it is bad for them already but will still smoke as they are already addicted. People don't care about the damage they are doing to their health as long as they look cool, but I think they look sad. closing quote
Nicola, 15, London

opening quoteIt may make people more aware of the damage smoking does to them, but I don't think it will be enough. closing quote
Ceri, 15, Monmouth

opening quoteI don't think that it will stop a huge number smoking, maybe a few, but I do think that it will discourage people from starting up smoking. closing quote
John, 14, Sidcup

opening quoteIt may stop sensible people, but unfortunately some people will still think it will make them look brave and cool. closing quote
Morwenna, 13, West Sussex

opening quoteI don't think scary pictures will make people stop or quit smoking because like everything else, those who smoke will just get used to it and it'll mean nothing to them closing quote
Gillian, 13, Glasgow

opening quoteIt would prevent people from starting, but not get them to stop. Once you start the damage is done. closing quote
Amy, 11, Solihull

opening quoteThey might stop kids starting, but I don't reckon they'd make anyone quit. closing quote
Keisha, 12, Sheffield

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

More InfoBORDER=0
VoteWould you smoke to stay thin?
VoteAre you a smoker?
QuizTry our smoking quiz
ClubIt should be harder for kids to get cigarettes

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Smoking in films encourages kids to start
Bollywood rapped for making fags cool
Kids can get hooked on smoking in one puff
Girls 'smoke to stay thin'
New injection could stop kids smoking

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club