Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Should junk food adverts be banned?
Updated 22 March 2004, 11.16

More than 100 health groups are trying to get junk food ads banned to stop them targeting children.

But the government doesn't think it would make any difference and blame lack of exercise as the main cause of obesity in one in 10 kids in the UK.

So, do YOU think adverts for junk food should be banned?

Perhaps you think that people who want to eat junk will do it anyway?

Or do you agree that exercise is the key to the battle against obesity?

Whatever you think, e-mail and let us know.

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI don't think the ban is the best idea, but what will work is healthier food being more widely advertised and it being more affordable at schools. And less celebs on fast food adverts, to many people look up to them.closing quote
Richard, 15, Cheltenham

opening quoteI don't think junk food adverts should be banned, however, I do think there should be less of them. In a way junk food is like drugs - you become addicted. Regular exercise is important but so is what you eat.closing quote
Imogen, 12, Stockton-on-Tees

opening quoteI think junk food adverts should be banned, and schools should be given the equipment they need to help people lose weight, and stay that way.closing quote
Edward, 10, Reading

opening quoteI don't think junk food adverts should be banned because kids are still going to eat fatty foods at home, school and at restaurants anyway. And I think that as long as we get good exercise it shouldn't matter anyway.closing quote
Kimberley, 13, Dover

opening quoteI used to love junk food and the adverts almost forced me into buying it. I became veggie for a year and am now healthy and have lost weight.closing quote
Jamie, 12, Middlesbrough

opening quoteI think junk food adverts are one of the main reasons so many people are overweight in the UK, but lack of exercise plays a major part in this too.closing quote
Francesca, 10, Lechlade

opening quoteI don't think junk food advertising should be banned because I eat junk food and so do my friends, but we're not fat because we do a lot of sports as well - so it's about getting the balance right!closing quote
Lauren, 13, London

opening quoteI don't think that junk food adverts should be banned, as they do not influence the way we eat junk food. I weigh 15 stone and I know I am over weight but it is not due to the adverts.closing quote
Darren, 15, Woking

opening quoteBanning advertising won't change anything, as almost every town has one or two McDonalds or Burger Kings, which people go to a lot. Anyway, it's not junk food's fault for obesity, we've all been warned - some people just made the wrong decision, or didn't think.closing quote
Becky, 12, Northwich

opening quoteI think people eat junk food because it tastes good not because of advertising. Big companies don't have any idea what children notice about an advert.closing quote
Jenny, 12, Dundee

opening quotePeople should have the choice about what they eat but I think that some adverts are aimed at younger children and they just follow that and they end up addicted to junk food.closing quote
Hayley, 13, Sunderland

opening quoteI don't think they should because it doesn't make a difference if they advertise it or not, we will still eat it and most kids do get lots of exercise anyway.closing quote
Emma, 10, York

opening quoteJunk food ads are a big problem because people are conned into thinking that these foods are great and whereas cigarettes carry health warnings, junk food doesn't. Also, children don't get enough education about sport and healthy eating, and school canteens always have things like pizza and chips, which isn't helping.closing quote
Verity, 13, Aylesbury

opening quoteI think it's your own fault if you eat to much or don't exercise as much as you should - if you do these things I think you should be able to eat whatever you want as long as you stick to keeping healthy.closing quote
Daniel, 12, Scunthorpe

opening quoteI think that it doesn't really matter if they ban junk food adverts, because people can make up their own minds up if they want to get fat or not! It is like saying to stop smoking, but people know they could get cancer but still do it!closing quote
Amy, 13, Wellington

opening quoteI don't think junk food averts should be banned because it won't stop us from eating junk food. I think the government should put up more exercise adverts and to advertise healthy food more. I love exercising like doing swimming but because I go to school 5 days a week by the time I get home it is too late to go swimming so I can only go on Saturday and Sunday!closing quote
Justine, 13, Sunderland

opening quoteI think junk food should be allowed as long as people eat the right amount, don't go over-board and exerciseclosing quote
Liam, 11, Northwich

opening quoteI think we should stop advertising junk food and start advertising healthy food.closing quote
Hannah, 12, Birmingham

opening quoteSometimes junk food adverts do make me want to buy it, but I think that fruit prices should be put down, because it is expensive and that's why I don't buy it.closing quote
Kelly, 15, Ashford

opening quoteI don't think the adverts should be banned because they aren't the ones provoking us to eat junk food, they're just offering. It should be us deciding on whether we want to eat healthily or not!closing quote
Alysha, 13, Ilford

opening quoteI think that adverts are not to blame. If people want to eat junk food - then they will, and no one is to stop them. Lack of exercise is increasing by the day and if you're not willing to keep fit then prepare to be overweight.closing quote
Phoebe,14, Richmond

opening quoteIf advertising is banned it won't make much of a difference to the people that eat junk food anyway!closing quote
Chris, 11, Shipley

opening quoteI think it should be banned because the more junk food is shown the more you just want to eat it.closing quote
Toni, 10, Bristol

opening quoteI don't think that junk food should be banned but I do think that they should bring down the amount of salt and sugar in the products. I also think that to buy healthier is more expensive so people should cut the prices on them.closing quote
Fay, 12, Burwell

opening quoteI don't think it will make a difference. I watch adverts like that day after day, but I hardly ever eat it. I think exercise and self-control on your own part is the only way to keep healthy.closing quote
Sarah, 11, Bridgnorth

opening quoteI think they should ban junk food adverts or at least put them on when adults watch T.V not kids or children will get their parents to buy the food and they may get fat.closing quote
Helena, 10, Hexham

opening quoteI think banning the ads won't make any difference - people will still by chocolate whether it's advertised or not!closing quote
Anna, 12, Southampton

opening quoteThe adverts shouldn't be banned...people are just more lazy than they used to be, which means lack of exercise, leading to people getting overweight.closing quote
Ross, 14, Herts

opening quoteI think they should let us eat what we want. it's our lives. even f they do stop the adds they can't stop us eating junk food. girls worry about there wait and are careful. so what's the harm?closing quote
Hannah, 12, Gillingham

opening quoteI think advertising should be allowed. they are not responsible for people getting fat because people have a choice whether to eat fast food or not. people are responsible for getting themselves fat!closing quote
Daniel, 14, Aylesbury

opening quoteI think that fast food adverts should be banned or at least reduced in number. There are so many of them that children can't help but eat junk food when it's in their face everyday!closing quote
Emma, 10, London

opening quoteJunk food is not the sole cause of the increasing obesity of children in this country-parents, schools and kids themselves are as much to blame as any food group. Anything in moderation is never a bad thing but when kids are encouraged to eat more and exercise less the problems become severe.closing quote
Jeela, 14, Bristol

opening quoteI don't think that junk food adverts should be banned because at the end of the day, the company who produce the food have to make a profit, and advertising is the only way really. People do decide what they eat when it comes down to it, and children in today's world do actually realise what they are eating believe it or not!closing quote
Keira, 16, Northolt

opening quoteI don't think it would make a change. It's now too late. many children have grown up with junk food and has become a habit. For them adverts wouldn't make a change.closing quote
Jenny, 13, Preston

opening quoteEven if junk food adverts are banned children will still know what they're missing out on and it won't change a thing. Exercise is the out of being overweight.closing quote
Rachel, 13, Enfield

opening quoteI think that even if they took junk food ads off people would still buy and eat junk food. I think that when people say "what you eat is what you are" I think it's just a myth. My sister and I eat sooooo much junk and we don't put any weight on. I think it's just the way your body handles your food. If people know there is a danger of them becoming overweight and don't help themselves then that's their choice.closing quote
Samantha, 15, Reading

opening quoteI don't think people should worry about anyone who eats junk food. It's their choice if they want to eat it so let them.closing quote
Bronwyn, 12, Horsham

opening quoteI think it should not be banned because it is just food and it is up to us if we eat it or not.closing quote
Sam, 13

opening quoteMore and more children are getting obese, it's time we started taking our health seriously and look to the future!closing quote
Egbert, 11, Cambridge

opening quoteNo I don't think they should be banned. I mean junk food is great! I always eat it but I also eat my veg and fruit on a Sunday! Just because it is on TV doesn't mean people have to buy it! If I told everyone to jump off a cliff would they?closing quote
Natalie, 14, Wales

opening quotePlease ban it, I know it's bad for me but I can't resist!closing quote
Toni, 15, Kent

opening quoteYes, they should be banned. It costs the NHS millions to fix the mess junk food causes. Little kids don't eat vegetables anymore and it's all about sweets and junk food!closing quote
Claire, 11, London

opening quoteI'm all for banning the junk food adverts because kids will want to buy it. They will not just become unhealthy but also obese and it's not even real food! There are so many added chemicals, sugars and salts and this will lead to so many problems in later life.closing quote
Jennie, 14, Stamford

opening quoteSoon, they'll be trying to ban mobile Phone ads, it's PATHETIC! These companies have a right to advertise what they sell, or how are they going to get customers?closing quote
Nancy, 11 ,Tunbridge Wells

opening quoteI just love junk food I don't care that I'm fat 'cos it's not what you look like that counts it's who you are on the inside. Besides junk food makes me feel happy! I would much rather eat JF that rabbit food.closing quote
Fatima, 12, London

opening quoteTotally. I'm a vegan and those sort of adverts make me feel sick. It's even worse that, because other kids see them, they're going out and eating the meat. Not only do I think eating meat is wrong, but for them it's really fatty. At this rate the average weight in England will be 20 stone. We can't go on like this. Ban those adverts NOW!closing quote
Hannah, 12, Milton Keynes

opening quoteI think they shouldn't be banned, just because it's on the telly, it doesn't mean everyone has to buy junk foodclosing quote
Emma, 13, Lincoln

opening quoteThe government are being way OTT. They just need to let us decide for ourselves if we want to eat junk food or not.closing quote
Helen, 11, London

opening quoteIf it makes people feel better they can advertise salads - it doesn't really matter if things are advertised or not!closing quote
Emma, 10, Dunstable

opening quoteOhmigod! What r u going to say next that all kids r restricted to eat Brussels sprouts from now on!? why can't u ppl stop being so over protective let us enjoy our lives - Soon we're going to be adults and will be going on diets and stuff this is going way over the top chill out.closing quote
Yousra, 12, Exeter

opening quoteWe're young and we're not young for very long and while we are growing we should b able to eat what ever we want and if we become fat well that's our own fault for eating too much junk food.closing quote
Katie, 12, Thornton Heath

opening quoteI don't think we should ban junk food adverts or how am I supposed to know what's new?closing quote
Rachel, 9, York

opening quoteNo Way - I love junk food, I think it is up to the buyer what they eat, if they don't want to get fat then eats less junk food! Simple asclosing quote
Simon, 14, Shrewsbury

opening quoteWhat? I don't know what the government are up to, but it's about time that children decide for themselves. closing quote
Fouzia, 10, Birmingham

opening quoteEveryone's becoming too protective over us can't they see we know what's right and wrong! We know we shouldn't eat too much junk but banning the adverts is way over the top!closing quote
CECH, 12, Ayrshire

opening quoteJunk food is an important part in our lives because it gives us energy and everybody needs a tasty treat at sometime!closing quote
Lulu, 11, St Neots

opening quoteJunk food ads should be banned coz junk food is very unhealthy and can raise cholesterol!closing quote
Becci, 13, Swindon

opening quoteA Pizza Hut - A Pizza Hut - Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut. McDonalds - McDonalds - Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut.
That's all the places kids love to have dinner or tea at. The Fast Food Rockers sang that. That's advertising and it's in the Top 10. I rest my case.
closing quote
David, 11, Darlington

opening quoteThat's stupid, next you will be saying lets ban adverts for cars because it influences joy-riders.closing quote
Paul, 14, Manchester

opening quoteNo way! What's the big deal, anyway? Kids are not going to stop eating junk food just because the ads are banned! That's ridiculous! Don't people have more important things to worry about besides junk food?closing quote
Holly, 13, USA

opening quoteEven though people have a choice whether to choose healthy food, ads ARE bound to influence our decisions. So whilst folks do have a say in what they eat, they get blinded sometimes.closing quote
Sammi, 15, New York

opening quoteI don't think the adverts should be banned, but should only be shown after a certain time. For example between children's shows and be limited to a certain number of adverts per hour.closing quote
Lucy, 13, Freshwater

opening quoteNO!! I love junk food!!closing quote
Caitlin, 12, Hemel Hempstead

opening quoteNo- next they'll be banning adverts for fizzy pop!closing quote
Sam, 12, Manchester

opening quoteI think that junk food is just really easy to eat on the go, so if you're shopping, you just pop into a burger bar - it's quick and cheap. If it was that easy to get healthy food, more kids would eat it, but advertising probably has an effect on this too.closing quote
Anna, 14, Edinburgh

opening quoteI don't think that they should be banned, but there should be a limit to how many junk food adverts are on per day.closing quote
Cathy, 13, Cardiff

opening quoteI think they need to be banned - they are a bad influence on us kids.closing quote
Louise, 15, London

opening quoteI hate junk food and agree that there are too many adverts for such food on the television.closing quote
Beth, 12, Cardiff

opening quoteThey don't influence kids as much as people think they do.closing quote
Sarah, 13, Northern Ireland

opening quoteI agree with Keisha, it's up to other people what they eat, it's their choice. But they should just stop and think how bad it is for them first. It's themselves they're damaging.closing quote
Hannah, 11, Stockport

opening quoteI think that it doesn't really matter, because if it wasn't advertised people would still buy the junk food. Nowadays almost every town has a fast food restaurant that you're bound to know about.closing quote
Chris, 12, Dundee

opening quoteI don't care - I don't eat junk food anyway. It's gross!closing quote
Keisha, 12, Leicester

More InfoBORDER=0
Find OutOur guide to being healthy
GamesSee what burgers do to you in our game!
VoteVote: Addicted to junk food?
QuizTry our healthy eating quiz

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Junk food adverts 'deceiving kids'
McDonalds not to blame for fat kids
Government urges kids to eat well
Junk food ads for kids 'should be banned'
Footy stars in trouble for junk food ads

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Win a Haunted Mansion goody bag!
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club