Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Children of Iraq: your thoughts
Updated 01 August 2003, 16.53
Children in Iraq
This week's Newsround Extra looks at children living in Iraq - what it was like before, during and after the recent conflict.

Many children were not allowed to go out during the bombing, and some lost family and friends as the result of attacks.

Let us know your thoughts on the programme.

Don't have RealPlayer? Click here to download it for free

opening quoteI feel sorry for the children in Iraq because they are innocent people. It's Saddam who is guilty and they're only humans. At the end of the day they are no different to us just a different nationalitty.closing quote
Roxy, 13, Southend on Sea

opening quoteWe should help the children of Iraq. Why should they live a hard and difficult life and not us? The children weren't the cause of the war. We need to help them to get back to a happier life.closing quote
Katy, 10, Keswick

opening quoteThe people in Iraq obviously need help and I don't really think that we're doing enough to help. It must have been scary and worrying during the war but at least Saddam is out of power.closing quote
Sophie, 11, Gloucester

opening quoteI too feel sorry for the children but I think we did the right thing going to war because we freeing the Iraqis of Saddam but I wish that they could have done it a other way.closing quote
Natalie, 11, Newcastle

opening quoteI feel really sorry for the Iraqis. They don't have enough food, they are missing out pretty cool stuff in life and they've had terrible losses in life. I never wanted war to happen so I don't feel guilty, but embarrassed to have a president who wants to be known for starting a war when the economy has not been good, and I am speaking for the majority of the Americans. It may not have been my fault that war started, but that does not mean that I won't help out in any way that I can.closing quote
Eliza, 14, USA

opening quoteMy older brother is serving in Iraq. The BBC should support English people not foreign enemies. In every war there are victims. and the there have been many English and Americans killed too.closing quote
Lawrence, 15, London

opening quoteI think that Mr Blair did the right think by going into war. Saddam is/was a monster. At the end of the day, by not going to war, we would've been denying the Iraqi people the freedom in which WE live in! It's all about making Iraq a better place for people to live in where the people can do as they please and have the freedom the rest of the world has.

Yes, I know that the children are needy and suffering but in the long run, they will be better off!closing quote

Kim, 16, Manchester

opening quoteNone of this would have happened if the government had listened to the public and not gone to war. It's horrible and everybody who was for the war should feel ashamed.closing quote
Jemima, 13, Swindon

opening quoteI feel sorry for them after all they have been through but they can start getting the lives back together now.closing quote
Emma, 13, Blackburn

opening quoteI feel sorry for the people who have to cope with not having electricity and not having fans or water. America said it's going to give Iraq freedom but all it's done is made their lives worse. It wasn't even like this when Saddam was in power and one more thing it's made more percentage of people hating the Americans for lying about how they were going to make it the wealthiest and beutiful but what did it turn out to be nothing but a useless lie!!!closing quote
Reem, 12, London

opening quoteIt's awful because these children are normal, innocent people. It's not their war yet they have suffered terrible losses. My heart goes out to them.closing quote
Jade, 15, Altrincham

opening quoteI'm sorry for all the upset and heartbreak we caused you all. If most of us had had our say, all this would not have happened. I apologise on behalf of everyone here. closing quote
Lyra, 13, Belfast

opening quoteI can't imagine what it would've been like when the war started! It must have been horrible and it isn't even the children's fault! closing quote
Emma, 13, Lincoln

opening quoteI thought things were bad in Iraq, but I never thought it was that bad. I feel sorry for the people there and I think something should be done to help them instead of focussing on Saddam, because we went to Iraq to improve the country. closing quote
Kelly, 14, Ashford

opening quoteThe children seemed to live under the same conditions with the war as when Saddam was leader - afraid to leave the house. closing quote
Laura, 13, Southampton

opening quoteI feel horrible about what happened to kids just like me in Iraq, and I don't think it was fair at all that some of them lost legs and arms and family and their own lives because of this war, they didn't ask for it. May God Bless them all. closing quote
Dee, 13, Canada

opening quoteIt must have been really scary living there when the bombing was going on - I can't think what it was like not to be able to go and see your friends. closing quote
Simon, 13, Somerset

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

Watch/ListenBORDER=0
Iraq ExtraIraq Extra
BORDER=0

More InfoBORDER=0
Find OutNewsround Extra: Children of Iraq

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
US troops seize 'Saddam bodyguard'
US helps plan Iraq's future
Saddam's statue is toppled in historic moment
Blair faces crucial Iraq vote
Police warn pupils about anti-war rally
Bush tells Saddam he has 48hrs to leave Iraq

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Children of Iraq
Full Extras section
Children of Iraq
LIFE IN IRAQ
WATCH THIS EXTRA
YOUR COMMENTS
GUIDE TO IRAQ
PRESS PACK
BEHIND THE SCENES
QUIZ
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club