Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

9/11 - your thoughts two years on
Updated 22 September 2003, 09.38

It's been two years since the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers in New York - an event which shook the world.

A memorial service will take place in the area where the towers stood - now called Ground Zero

Children and adults in the US and all around the world are remembering the people that died in the tragedy.

We want to know your thoughts on the second anniversary of 11 September.

opening quoteOk. 9/11 was a terrible thing, and everyone had a right to be upset about it. I feel for all the families of the people who died, and I know it was a complete tragedy. BUT... people in places like Africa are dying every day - and no one gets upset a year after they've died! I'm sure this comment will get lots of angry comments in reply, but as long as everyone thinks about what I have said, I don't mind.closing quote
Alex, 12, London

opening quoteI remember two years ago, I went to my math class and sat down. My teacher had the radio on and I told him that he forgot to turn it off. He said "shh" Then all of a sudden, I hear this guy yelling " Oh my gosh, another plane just hit the other tower!" Everyone was so confused. It was a very tragic day. I had a friend who had someone who died in that plane crash. It was horrible and I can't believe that it has been two years already. Thanks to all the people from the UK who are being so kind to the US! GOD BLESS THE WORLD!closing quote
Joanna, 14, Austin ,TX , USA

opening quoteWhen I first saw what happened it was wierd and abnormal. When the first tower fell, and Dan Rather became quiet I actually thought they were showing a replay of one of the planes flying into the building. I finally realized that it had just fallen. But more importantly I think there needs to be some credit given to George W Bush. He did an amazing job leading our country though this terrible tragedy. I think everyone, whether you disagre on the war on iraq, or not, should give him this credit. He was and still is a great president and his name will go down in history as the one who guided us when so much grief hit us all. God Bless America.closing quote
Kelley, 15, Seattle, USA

opening quoteWhat the people did on that day was terrible and should not happen again. I wish everyone could live in peace. My thoughts are with the families and victims of Sept 11th. RIP. closing quote
Claire, 16, Derbyshire

opening quoteI live in a place called St Mawgan where there are quite a few Americans living nearby and last year we had a memorial assembly and I think that it was heart warming I would like to say well done to the Americans for getting through this tough time!closing quote
Fiona, 13, Newquay

opening quoteMy thoughts and prayers are with the families of all those who lost their lives on 9/11. It was a terrifying day for all Americans and I will never forget the horror I saw that day. God Bless America.closing quote
Aurora, 12, California

opening quoteI hope God will bless the soul of those who died and let them be remembered forever.closing quote
Georgina, 11, Lowestoft

opening quoteI still don't feel safe since 9/11 and I don't think the world will ever feel safe again.closing quote
Philppa, 16, Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire

opening quoteI can recall what happened like it was yesterday. I was in the middle of my first class when another teacher came in with tears in her eyes and explained what had happened. Some people didn't believe her. When we started to watch the news kids burst into tears and shouted things like "my mom's in there!" Now, two full years later, we have moved on, not so much that we don't still remember. The terrorists hoped that what they were doing would tear our nation apart; in the end, it only brought us closer together.closing quote
Laine, 14, New York City

opening quoteIt was the most terrifying day of many of our lives. My entire school had all of its TVs on, and we kept seeing the same thing, crash, crash. That night many of us thought this was the end; we weren't going to make it. I have never had much pride in my country but that day, I was a true American, and for that I always will be. I can't express to you all how amazing it is to read your comments saying "god bless you America(ns)". I thank those of you that support us in this miserable time, because we need it. God bless the world, and put an end to those who try to bring ANY of us, the people of the world, sorrow.closing quote
Brittany, 15, Loveland, USA

opening quoteWe lost many lives that day but they shall not be forgotten. I feel proud to be part of this country. We survived 9/11 and that is what made us stronger. Many Americans gave up their lives for others peoples lives and I am proud to be in a country with people, police, and fire-fighters that would do such a thing!closing quote
Dana, 13, USA

opening quoteI am an American & I will always remember the people who died on September 11th. I also believe we should, no matter where we are, US & UK, always pray for those who have lost their loved ones. Now, whenever I see a clock and its 9:11, I always pray for those who were lost in that September day... Never Forget September 11...God Bless All!!! closing quote
Derek, 12, Spring Hill USA

opening quoteI will never ever forget this tragic moment in history. I'm glad I don't live in NYC, (I live in the state) but, when I found out (we watched it) in school, I was shivering, and nervous. Of course, the terror is fading away (I think) because of all the amazing soldiers out there right now, to save their country. I love my country, I wouldn't trade it for anything. The soliders and the people that died will always be our hearts. That's why we had a moment of silence today in my school, to remember. Not only the tragic memories, but how wonderfully our country was imporved after that. 11 September, a moment, never to be forgotten.closing quote
Kristina, 11, New York, USA

opening quoteI'll never forget that day...ever. It was horrible, but it also brought a nation together, and I think it's important to remember that an eye for an eye will blind the world.closing quote
Holly, 14, Seattle, USA

opening quoteI don't think that anyone will ever forget that tragic day, but our lives our more normal now. It's like one war after another, first 9/11 and now the war in Iraq. What's amazing though is that 9/11 just seemed to make the USA stronger. I just want to say, God Bless America and the whole world for that matter!closing quote
Michelle, 12, California, USA

opening quoteI don't know anyone who died, and it was one of the saddest days of my life, so I cant imagine what it was like for those who lost loved ones. Never forget, I know I won't.closing quote
Cait, 13, Sydney, Australia

opening quoteTwo years on, and the people behind the attacks still haven't been put to justice. 9/11 changed World history and I find it awful that some say that we should move on. My thoughts are with all the families of the victims and I hope they find strength to carry on with their lives. May the victims be more than a memory. May they live on in our hearts!closing quote
David, 14, Wrexham

opening quoteIt was awful! I was in an art lesson, and two guys from my class came down from the library really white and pale, and just said "the twin towers have fallen down, terrorists." When I got home I sat and just watched the event on the TV all evening, and my family held a prayer group for the people at our church. It was really awful and my prayers go out to the families who have lost.closing quote
Bex, 14, Kettering

opening quoteMy thoughts are with those who lost loved ones in the tragedy and I will never forget, but we shouldn't overlook the terrorism other countries including my own (the UK) have suffered with for a long time. My uncle was killed in Northern Ireland. It isn't more important just because it happened to America. And we shouldn't overlook the good that came out of it. I went to New York last summer and the way the people have come together and are so friendly now and proud of their city was really wonderful.closing quote
Tamar, Witney

opening quoteNo-one could have dreamed this could ever have happened. My cousin was visiting the Pentagon on that dreadful day, and I was so scared she had been killed. We couldn't phone so we had no way of telling is she was dead of alive. Thankfully, her trip had been postponed, and she was alright. It could have been a very different story if not. My heart goes out to all America, God Bless You!closing quote
Rosa, 11, Norwich

opening quoteMy school did nothing to remember those heroic, innocent people that died. Our class had to request to hold a minute of silence and though we were allowed, we were one of the few who did. It makes me sick to think that people are already forgetting to remember it.closing quote
Helen, 15, Liverpool

opening quoteAll I can say is GOD BLESS THE US an all the families who shed tears on the tragic event 2 years ago.closing quote
Loulou, 12, London

opening quote2001, the 11 of September, a plane crashed in to the world trade centre. 18 minutes later, building two Got hit by another, what do we do? It is no longer an accident, which we thought at first, this attack on our country is by far the worst. Thousands of people fear at this time, what has been done? A hostile crime. We do not understand what is in store, what will come next, war? As President Bush said, "make no mistake about it", we will resolve this, we shall stand united." We pray for the lives of others, Our Friends, Relatives, even Fathers or Mothers. And as the world waits for what is to come, we will go on stronger by what has been done.closing quote
Tara, 14, USA

opening quoteI'll never forget that day, I had just got back from school netball practice, I was really happy because I had made the team and then when I walked through the door my mum told me that there had been a terrorist attack in America on the twin towers and the Pentagon, when I saw the pictures I was horrified!closing quote
Laura, 13, Wigan

opening quoteWe can do no more than remember those who died, the hearts that were broken and tears shed. So let's all be quiet and remember the day that history changed!closing quote
Emma, 10, Glasgow

opening quoteI came home and my mum told me what happened; I didn't believe her until I saw the pictures myself. I couldn't believe that one minute they were there and the next...they're goneclosing quote
Amy, 12, Pontypridd

opening quoteAll the people that died two years ago today died heroes! I remember of coming in the house and seeing an aeroplane hit one of the Twin Towers; it was awful.closing quote
Michelle, 11, Edinburgh

opening quoteGod Bless America!closing quote
Cassandra, 13, London

opening quoteMe and all my mates were expecting to have a minutes silence today, but didn't! We really thought we would! And some people got annoyed at that, coz they wanted to show respect to the people who had died.closing quote
Kate, 12, Aylesbury

opening quoteComing home from school I got in the car and my mum was telling me that a plane had gone into the twin towers. I got home and my brother was watching the TV, and literally as soon as I sat down, plane 2 struck. My mind was blank - how could someone do something like that? I know I will never forget it, but I really do think its time to move on. There's no point on dwelling on the past - it won't bring anyone back. The people, who died, died heroes. And they wouldn't want us to stay stuck in the past - they'd want us to move on. closing quote
Laura, 14, Essex

opening quoteIt was tragic. But 23,000 people die of starvation every day, why don't we remember them?? We can't change the past - but we can change the future. We need to stop going on about it. I think the terrible thing about it is that it was a terrorist attack and that terrorists can do that again. That scares the US.closing quote
Syble, 12, Stockport

opening quoteI was so scared because I'm part American and most of my family is over there, including my dad. All communications to the US were cut off so we couldn't find out if our friends were OK. It was the scariest day of my life.closing quote
Jessica, 14, Newton Abbot

opening quoteI came home from school, switched on the TV expecting to see the smiling faces of CBBC presenters; instead the Twin Towers were on the TV screen falling to the ground. I told my mum to come and watch the TV and told her what had happened, she though I was joking and wouldn't take me seriously. That was until she saw the TV. We were all shocked and it was all we could talk about the next day at school. Our thoughts are with those who died and those who continue to suffer from consequences of that tragic day. closing quote
Vanessa, 16, Wnchester

opening quoteIt was my sophomore year (I'm a senior in high school). I had no idea it happened until 2nd period because I was in the gym 1st period. I was shocked and scared. I have family in Massachusetts, and my uncle sometimes goes on business trips, so he could've been on one of those planes. I'm very grateful he wasn't. Today, I'm tired of hearing about this. I'm sorry, but we need to let it go.closing quote
Melanie, 17, Frisco

opening quoteI still feel the pain of all the Americans, and I think New York has gathered itself nicely, and they still stick together, keep their heads up, and go about their normal lives. I think we should all praise the Americans for their extreme bravery. My heart goes out to all those lost, and their families. God bless you all, and rest in peace!closing quote
Chloe, 15, Canada

opening quoteI feel that it was only yesterday when this terrible tragedy happened; I can't believe it has been two years since then. My heart is with all the people that died. closing quote
Joanna, 11, London

opening quoteWe should never forget. Some were just trying to make an honest living to support their families. Others gave their lives when they tried to save the helpless. We should never forget all those who were lost on that fateful day. But most importantly we need to know that the Lord is in control, and we shouldn't stop praising Him. Keep the families of those lost in your prayers today, because I know I will.closing quote
Anonymous, 14, Los Angeles

opening quoteIt was awful as a member of my family died on that horrible tragedy of a day.closing quote
Danielle and Kelly ,10 and 11, Basildon

opening quoteI feel really upset at the thought of the hundreds of families that lost a member of their family or a close friend. I will pray for the families of the Victims and my thoughts will always be with them.closing quote
Philippa, 12, Ulverston

opening quoteI still remember what I was doing on that day, 2 years ago; I phoned my dad, he answered and said 'listen can't talk a plane has just crashed in to the twin towers'. My heart just dropped, I could not believe it. I can't tell you how sorry I am that so many lives have been lost through this horrible tragedy. My heart is with the families of the people who died in September 11th. RIP, New York Ground Zero.closing quote
Fiona, 15, Swansea

opening quoteI will never forget that day, it was terrible. I'm wishing for peace instead of terrorism and thinking of the families of the poor people that died.closing quote
Taryn, 13, Brighton

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

More InfoBORDER=0
Find Out11 September one year on
Find OutWhat happened on 11 September?
VoteVote: does the world feel a safer place?
ClubHow New York will remember 11 September

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Children to remember 11 September
Effects of 11 September
Top 11 September suspect arrested
'Bin Laden tape' calls for Iraq resistance

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club