Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

How can we stamp out racism?
Updated 28 July 2003, 16.16

A massive festival aimed at stamping out racism is being held in London.

It's been dedicated to the memory of A-level student Stephen Lawrence, who was killed in a racist attack in 1993.

His mum reckons there are still "too many excuses" for racist behaviour.

We want to know what you think about the issue - and how you think people from different races and backgrounds can live together in harmony.

opening quoteThere is no possible way to stop racism. No matter what happens there will always be arrogant people.closing quote
Brittany, 13, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

opening quoteThere is no excuse for it. Racism is a very big problem in our country and people need to be taught that it is wrong. What difference does it make where you come from or what you look like. We're all humans and we all should be treated the same.closing quote
Rhonwen, 13, Carmarthen

opening quoteIt is wrong to bully others because they are of a different culture to you, and I think that the only way that it can be fully stopped is to expand the idea of a non-racist country in schools, and to continue teaching about different cultures in RS lessons.closing quote
Srinjoy, 13, Abingdon

opening quoteAt my school I'm part of a group which is called REC and it stands for Racial Equality Council. We do plenty of things to bring each other together no matter the colour of skin. We do lots of things like presentations to teach other students and have parties for different religion celebrations like Christmas and Eid. We won an award for all the work we had done, also. Its just different concepts that people have about one and other but when we get to know each other then its fine. I think that more people should be open minded about it and see inside the person and not just look at the skin colour.closing quote
Nicola

opening quoteThe first thing we need to do is we need to stop scaring racist people. It sounds stupid, but the more we scare them about how we are going to put them in jail... the more they attack.closing quote
Sarah, 14, Bristol

opening quoteI think racism will not stop until people stop thinking in colour. Instead of saying that black girl or white or Chinese. Why not say she has long hair etc.closing quote
Keera, 13, Bristol

opening quoteI don't understand why anybody is a racist. It's pointless and stupid. People who are racist probably don't know very much about the people they're hating. I think that these people believe that being this way puts them above everybody else, but in reality they are only lower.closing quote
Kim, 14, Montreal

opening quoteUnfortunately, I think no matter what we try to do, racism won't stop. I know it's sad to think that, but it's the truth. As long as we have thick-headed, conceided, bigoted people in this world that demand power, we aren't going to learn any more than we want to.closing quote
Liz, 14, NY, USA

opening quoteI think one of the ways to stamp out racism is by teaching your future children that all races are equal.closing quote
Rodrigo, 14, El Salvador, Central America

opening quoteI don't think we'll ever stomp out racism. It'll always be there because it's been there for so long! It's a hard issue to deal with, and some people just wont listen. If we do stomp it out then brilliant! But I think it'll be almost impossible.closing quote
Moe, 14

opening quoteIt partly depends on where you live. When I lived in London, white people stayed together, black people stayed together and (well, you get the idea.) But now I live here, we all mix. We shouldn't be trying to target the problem in general. We should try to recognise the problem in each area and target that individually. Schools shouldn't try to put so much emphasis on not being racist. This is drawing our attention to it. If they didn't mention it, then we wouldn't notice it.closing quote
Hazel, 12, Cambridge

opening quoteI think schools should teach students more about how bad racial abuse is because racism is one of the main causes of bullying.closing quote
Rachel, 14, Bury

opening quoteWhat IS the point of racism, really? Is it just some dumb idea to make us feel superior? Frankly, racism has no point. But others are still keeping racism a daily issue in the world, and we need to stop it! I mean, racism isn't nice, it isn't fun, it isn't anything good! closing quote
Katherine, 12, USA

opening quoteI think the best way to deal with racism is to just learn to respect other people's beliefs, if nothing else. If you don't agree with someone's beliefs, then just keep quiet.closing quote
Helen, 11

opening quoteTo stamp out racism, we must try to open people's minds more, and help them understand that diversity is not something to be feared, for it is a way of life.closing quote
Lyra, 13, Belfast

opening quoteAt my school I'm part of a group which is called REC and it stands for Racial Equality Council. We do plenty of things to bring each other together no matter the colour of skin. We do lots of things like presentations to teach other students and have parties for different religious celebrations, eg Christmas and Eid. closing quote
Michelle, 14, Stoke on Trent

opening quoteRacism is pathetic. It doesn't matter what race you are - you are still human.closing quote
Vicki, 15, Northern Ireland

opening quoteI feel that in lessons such as RE we should be told about other cultures in a way that we can all understand. closing quote
Aliesia, 12, London

opening quoteRacism is a very big problem all over the world and for it to be reduced I think that not only should different cultures work together, but people of the same beliefs.closing quote
John, 14, Bolton

opening quotePeople tend to pick fun at the different. They need to see we're all different, even if our skin colour, our accent or clothing may be the same.closing quote
Emma, 15, Yorkshire

opening quoteI have some great friends, all are not of my culture, and we get on like a house on fire! Why can't people just get a grip on life, it's not the prehistoric ages any more - there is such a word as 'friends'. Can't we live by this word? closing quote
Gin Wah, 14

opening quoteI think we should treat people exactly how we would like to be treated. I don't care if they are black, white, African or Asian. It's what's on the inside that counts - don't judge a book by its cover.closing quote
Lucy, 12

opening quoteI think people who are racist should be punished because it is stupid to judge people by their race. We learnt about racism in school and everyone in my class agrees that it is wrong! closing quote
Nuala, 13

opening quoteI think people need to do more to understand each other's backgrounds. My friends are all different races and we get on brilliantly. closing quote
Sophie, 14, Bristol

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

More InfoBORDER=0
Find OutWhat is racism?

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Anti-racism event remembers murdered teen
Champions League: Houllier's racism warning
Slovakia says sorry to Brits for footie racism
Arsenal victory spoiled by racism

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club